What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rats. Bleeding Brakes

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
Ready to bleed brakes, and what I THOUGHTt I had hanging on a peg was a pressure bleeder to bleed them up from the bottom under fluid pressure. Well, it was not what I thought, and now I need a bleeder. Aircraft Spruce seems to only want to sell a $84 one, surely there is something cheaper for a one time shot. Anybody have any helpful hints?

Pump Oil Can

You might try Harbour Freight or any harware store for a pump type oil can. Connect spout to bleeder by a piece of tubing and you'll be set.

I've always used a common oil can with a squeeze pump handle. You know, it has a screw-on cap and skinny spout nozzle and an integral handle....

I use a short piece of rubber hose to go from the oil can to the fitting on the brake housing. It's a two-person job, someone to pump at the bottom and someone to look at the reservoir on top to make sure it doesn't overflow.

Dave

thanks guys, I am on my way to a Tractor Supply Store to get one, that was exactly the answer I was looking for.

You can easily make your own bleeder from the smallest, cheapest garden sprayer you can find. I put one together for under $15. Works much better than those pump oil cans.

Go to home depot aviation and buy the $9 bug sprayer. Then go to NAPA and buy a plastic fitting (50 cents)that screws into the top of the reservoir with a hose barb on the other end. Connect hose to barb and run it into your brake fluid storage container. Take the end fitting off the end of the bug sprayer hose. Put break fluid in bug sprayer. attach bug sprayer hose to fitting at the brake caliper. Loosen fitting and let the sprayer supply the pressure. The fluid will fill from the bottom up. You will see the fluid exit through the clear tubing on the reservoir. Once its running solid with no air lock down the fitting on the caliper. Repeat the process on the other side. Be sure to jiggle your rudder pedals as its filling each side.

Works great.

Don, the oil can guys are right. A pump can and a pc of plastic tubing (1/4 in) and you are on your way.
Dick Seiders

Got one at Harbor Freight for $3.99 on sale. I think it will do the trick nicely. I just remembered I need to plumb in my parking brake yet before I bleed them.

I've always used a common oil can with a squeeze pump handle. You know, it has a screw-on cap and skinny spout nozzle and an integral handle....

I use a short piece of rubber hose to go from the oil can to the fitting on the brake housing. It's a two-person job, someone to pump at the bottom and someone to look at the reservoir on top to make sure it doesn't overflow.

Dave

Does this get ALL the air out? The usual process is to let it flow out of the reservoir thru a clear hose until you don't see any bubbles at all. If your way really does work it sounds like it might be a lot easier and cleaner than using the pressure tank/pump way.

The oil can works great! Use clear tube, hold it up to bleed it well before attaching to fitting then pump away until no more bubbles at the top of the masters. Did both brakes from complete cleaning and new O-rings in 15 minutes. Tight as can be for $10...

Back