What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ease of upgrading

AKHM462

I'm New Here
If I were to purchase a completed aircraft and would like to upgrade/update/change anything but the frame (engine, avionics, interior, propeller) in an RV 9a, how difficult would this be?

Thank-you,

Joe

Easy

if you are a bit handy.... happens all the time. If you are not a DIY type of person, you can always pay others to make the changes. Good luck

Upgrade

If I were to purchase a completed aircraft and would like to upgrade/update/change anything but the frame (engine, avionics, interior, propeller) in an RV 9a, how difficult would this be?

Thank-you,

Joe
Loaded question. Engine ifself is not a problem, but an upgrade may trigger a multitude of other stuff.
Is the oil cooler adequate? Will the cowl fit? Baffles? What about fuel supply (pump)? Need a boost pump?
Avionics will be a similar issue. Will the panel come out easy? Is there a place for all the black boxes? Is any of the wiring compatible/useable?
That said, it's experimental. Sort of the whole concept.

It's only as difficult as the actual work. Realize, of course, that depending on the mod, switching out one big thing can rain down a bunch of smaller things. Example: I switched KELLI GIRL over from fixed-pitch to a constant speed prop. Changing my engine setup from FP to CS prop required installing a new governor, new blue throttle cable/knob, oil line, prop shaft plug, etc. Remember, if you impact the weight or CG, you'll need to do a new weight 'n balance for your POH (and that's easy, too).

Also, depending on the upgrade you may have to return the aircraft to Phase 1 test. That depends on whether it's a major mod, etc. Your aircraft's FAA Experimental Operating Limitations will spell that out, and then it's a simple paperwork drill. Example: Changing my engine setup from FP to CS prop required 5 hours of Phase 1 with a straight-forward letter to the FAA. Beyond that, it's a matter of actually doing (or getting someone else to do) the work.

Thereafter, it's pretty much all yours.

Last edited:

Thank-you,

Joe

That's a loaded question, but probably easier than starting from scratch!

Avionics

It can be an adventure getting to some of the avionics in a slider 9A. I swapped out my AHRS for a newer version and it was like spelunking. There's not a ton of room back there.

Thank-you,

Joe

It can be an adventure getting to some of the avionics in a slider 9A. I swapped out my AHRS for a newer version and it was like spelunking. There's not a ton of room back there.
A couple of big glass panels can ease maintenance, though, because when they're removed it leaves some pretty large apertures to reach through when something else needs servicing.

Panel dives are much more comfortable after you've put the upholstery in.

Back