What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil cooler air filter

FireMedic_2009

Well Known Member
Hi everyone
I was wondering if an air filter should be used for the oil cooler duct? I have a 4” scat coming from rear baffle over the #4 cyl. I’m thinking over time the oil cooler will become clogged with dirt and debris causing the oil temp to increase. The oil cooler is larger than the normal size one and is a very tight fit and would take over an hour to remove oil lines, cables, brackets to get to the cooler to clean. Nine months ago I removed an a/c coil to clean it and the fins are so tight that when I tried spraying water through the coil hardly any water would go through even after it was cleaned chemically.
Thanks

There are thousands of flying light GA aircraft. I'm not aware of any where the air feeding the oil cooler is filtered.

So I wouldn't try to fix something that doesn't seem to be a problem.

The reality is you want good airflow to the cooler. A filter would probably throttle that cooling air and lead to oil temperature problems.

Has anyone thought of using or needing a filter?

No need to filter cooling air the fins are not that close to be clogged with dust. I fly to unimproved fields and off airport once in a while and other then occasional large bug nothing catches in the fins.

After 23-years flying with 3,498 flying hours on the same oil cooler, it is extra weight, extra work, and extra expense that is a not needed.

IF you were to put a filter in front of the oil cooler, you are going to increase oil temperature from the reduced pressure drop across the oil cooler.

When is the last time you saw a truck or car with an air filter in front of the radiator, air conditioner, or transmission cooler? Vehicles operating on the ground will have more dirt and dust than our airplanes get.

Back