What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The facts about retracts...

smokyray

Well Known Member
Guys, I have recieved a couple of emails about installing retractable gear in an RV4. Yes, it has been done three times I know of. I have spoken with two of the builders and all reported good performance. However comma, a higher empty weight and increased complexity of systems is added as well.
Obviously, it can be done but the trade off is the simplicity and bang for the buck I believe the RV4 is designed for. Here is a great comparison photo of a German RV4 pair, with and without...

Rob Ray

Last edited:
smokyray said:
I have spoken with two of the builders and all reported good performance. However comma, a higher empty weight and increased complexity of systems is added as well.
Obviously, it can be done but the trade off is the simplicity and bang for the buck I believe the RV4 is designed for. Here is a great comparison photo of a German RV4 pair, with and without...

Didn't I see an article about this German guy a few years back? He built two RV's , one with retracts and one without, and they basically had identical performance?

From what I understand, it's not a bad proposition if your sole desire is to showcase the retract option. You're going to consume much of the plane's other performance capabilities to make it work out. Aerobatic capacity is going to be greatly affected, as is your useful load. There are alot of complexities at work under the surface. If you want to make a big splash at the RV conventions however, I can't think of a better way to do it! You gotta admit, it's one beautiful creature in the air and on the ground. :cool:

smoore said:
It was all worth it for that photo.

Anyone have a URL to this pairs' story?

Kitplanes July 2004 (came across the article today). Dont think kitplanes would be to happy if I posted the whole story online but here are the performance specs:

168MPH RV-4RG RV-4
MP ___ 18 ___ 20
RPM __ 2250 _ 2200

175MPH RV-4RG RV-4
MP ___ 20,3 ___ 22
RPM __ 2200 __ 2200

185MPH RV-4RG RV-4
MP ____ 22 ___ 22
RPM ___ 2200 _ 2300

Back