What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lifting an RV

Has anyone ever hoisted their RV? Since I will have room to complete my -4 at home I'm thinking how best to transport to the airport (only 2 rural miles away). I have a 16' flatbed trailer and I think I can build a wing cradle to hold my plane tail-high, but I'll need to lift it onto the trailer.

I was thinking of designing a hoist trapese and use the tie down fittings, modified for both top and bottom fittings. Now would be the time to make that mod, since I'm building the wings.

search for the thread "storing/hangaring by hoisting" .
Some great pictures of methods used by pilots in Switzerland. I would think the easiest thing to do would be to remove the wheel fairing and bolt lift rings on the axles. Looks pretty straightforward.
Terry

I pulled mine like a trailer

10002661ob.jpg

I hoisted it in the engine mount as close as possible to the firewall. Worked great, it is of course a bit in front of centre of gravity but nothing I couldn?t handle by hand at the tail end. Mine had the engine attached btw.

Same here for my RV9A.

matt said:
I hoisted it in the engine mount as close as possible to the firewall. Worked great, it is of course a bit in front of centre of gravity but nothing I couldn?t handle by hand at the tail end. Mine had the engine attached btw.
The wings were not on at the time.

Kent

Full Up Aircraft

I'm thinking completed, but empty weight aircraft, minus prop. It will also need to tip nose down about 45 degrees onto the trailer holding fixture. I'll have to evaluate if attaching to the main gear will allow that.

Back