What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VS Lightening holes

vernh59

I am starting an old kit R71139. I noticed my VS doubler did not come with the lightening holes like the newer kits. Is it worth cutting the holes? I"m planning on a tail dragging 7 slider.

Thanks in advance

Holes

Any weight savjngs that far back is worth doing. Grams add up. Holes are not difficult to cut but you could always buy a newer one with holes.
If you choose to cut them I would use hole saws. Drill the pilot hole smaller than final and use a 1/4" reamer to get final dimension. Replace the pilot drill with a 1/4" polished steel rod so it can't enlarge the hole while it turns. Clamp everything down and cut away. No problem.
Here's a link.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7hyZ-sKQmtrTU9zVXBLeHFuaEk

Add Lightness

What Larry said. Lose weight wherever possible, as long as you don't compromise strength.

D232GCMl.jpg

Holes are not difficult to cut but you could always buy a newer one with holes.
[/URL]

I'm in the same situation and looking at the cost/time/effort to tool up to cut the holes myself vs. buying a pre-cut part, the new part wins and the old will undoubtedly be recycled into something else.

Not to drift the thread.....
But, does anyone know if the older HS-601PP elevator skin is compatable with the newer PP parts?

The HS-601PP is called out in both my build binder and the newer preview plans I have.

Did it

I went ahead and cut the holes using a 2" and 1.5" hole saw. Take your time and they cut right through it. I smoother the cuts with a small flap wheel and some Emory paper. On to the next thing

VS holes

I have an older -8 kit, do you have a picture of the newer plans showing the lightening holes?

Back