What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First flight in my newly aquired RV-8

Hey guys,

Last week I went for my first flight/lesson in my newly acquired -8. It was my first -8 flight as well as first tailwheel lesson. The RV journey started for me back in October when I went from considering an RV to "I have got to get one of these!" when I met and went for a ride with fellow VAF member Bill (fixnflyguy). He offered me a quick ride in his -4 and it was instant love! My extensive 3 month nationwide search was over when I found a flying -8 at Bill's home base which is about 45 min (by car) from my house. The plane was just what I was wanting and the fact that it was a local plane and the entire history was known was a huge plus. Anyways, on to the first impressions... All I can say is I was in for a surprise when I strapped into this thing! I essentially had zero tail wheel time (other than a 45 min aerobatics intro lesson in my instructors Decathlon) . The plane flies like a dream and I had to quickly "re-calibrate" my hand from the massive control inputs required in the Pipers I have been flying since getting my license. Large control inputs were massively amplified when close to the ground! Pulling into a stall or scrapping a wing tip seemed to be a real concern if anything more than fingertip pressure was used at low speeds a few feet off the ground! I also found myself getting into some mild "tank-slapper" oscillations pretty quickly if I moved my attention closer to the nose of the plane after landing! I definitely learned to keep my eyes as far downrange as possible until exiting the runway. Suddenly the 10hrs of dual required by my insurance seems like it may be the bare minimum I would be comfortable with and would be happy to go for more! Bill was absolutely fantastic throughout the whole process and was always happy to answer questions or take a look at the planes I was considering, And even helped with the rear rudder pedal install after purchase so I could begin my training. Overall I absolutely love the plane and cannot wait to get proficient in it and join in on some fun with some of the great people I have met since beginning this journey!

IMG_1522.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I just bought a -4 myself. Came from 100's in Piper's and Cessna's as well. I agree 1000% about the control input needed. ****, i still occasionally get too happy with the stick and in a millisecond, my brain screams "This ain't no tank!! Even landing, just 'think' where you want to go".

I love my -4. My childhood dream plane. Well, behind the P-51 anyways. Lol

Congrats!!

Welcome aboard

Hey guys,

Last week I went for my first flight/lesson in my newly acquired -8. It was my first -8 flight as well as first tailwheel lesson. The RV journey started for me back in October when I went from considering an RV to "I have got to get one of these!" when I met and went for a ride with fellow VAF member Bill (fixnflyguy). He offered me a quick ride in his -4 and it was instant love! My extensive 3 month nationwide search was over when I found a flying -8 at Bill's home base which is about 45 min (by car) from my house. The plane was just what I was wanting and the fact that it was a local plane and the entire history was known was a huge plus. Anyways, on to the first impressions... All I can say is I was in for a surprise when I strapped into this thing! I essentially had zero tail wheel time (other than a 45 min aerobatics intro lesson in my instructors Decathlon) . The plane flies like a dream and I had to quickly "re-calibrate" my hand from the massive control inputs required in the Pipers I have been flying since getting my license. Large control inputs were massively amplified when close to the ground! Pulling into a stall or scrapping a wing tip seemed to be a real concern if anything more than fingertip pressure was used at low speeds a few feet off the ground! I also found myself getting into some mild "tank-slapper" oscillations pretty quickly if I moved my attention closer to the nose of the plane after landing! I definitely learned to keep my eyes as far downrange as possible until exiting the runway. Suddenly the 10hrs of dual required by my insurance seems like it may be the bare minimum I would be comfortable with and would be happy to go for more! Bill was absolutely fantastic throughout the whole process and was always happy to answer questions or take a look at the planes I was considering, And even helped with the rear rudder pedal install after purchase so I could begin my training. Overall I absolutely love the plane and cannot wait to get proficient in it and join in on some fun with some of the great people I have met since beginning this journey!

Fixnflying guy is an ACE mechanic, (and a nice guy too).

I was told in time it would feel like putting on an old pair of jeans.

You'll get there.

Happy Landings in your pretty bird
Daddyman
Dues + paid 2017

Don't worry too much about the stick pressure/movement thing. In no time at all you won't even think about it. You just apply pressure until the airplane responds to your whim. Totally subconsciously. :)

Back