What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Marriage and the RV Builder

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
For a long time, I've wanted to write an article about homebuilding and marriage.

There are at least three types of marriages surrounding homebuilding.

* The fully engaged spouse who really is into the project.

* The spouse who is supportive of the project but doesn't want to participate. He/she has their own thing going and makes clear the project isn't hers/his, it's yours.

* The divorced spouse. It probably didn't collapse because someone decided to build an airplane, but it probably didn't help.

There are plenty of examples of the first scattered around VAF and I've enjoyed talking to them over the years and will probably circle back if I go ahead with this research.

I need only walk into the next room to meet the second kind. And they're pretty easy to find.

So I'm not too worried about providing their perspective and tips for keeping a marriage intact during an airplane build.

The third is the hardest to find, at least in terms of getting everyone to talk to a writer and be open about a failed marriage and an airplane project. And I'm not really interested in grinding marital axes. I want to find people who lost a marriage, who would've liked to have it have succeeded, and are introspective about things.

So I don't really know if this will get anywhere but it's worth putting out there. If you are in the THIRD group, and you'd be willing to talk about the strain a project put on a marriage, what you would/wouldn't do differently etc., please send me a PM or contact me at [email protected].

I think an article of this magnitude and research would be very helpful for married people considering building an airplane.

Last edited:
I was lucky !

While our marriage is "second time around" for both of us, I must say I was lucky to find my wife, especially since she had never been in a small plane before, didn't know anyone "built" their own, and could not fathom the reason to live next to an airport. I was clear in our earliest date nights, certain things I would be doing were going to be "non-negotiable", such as hangar time, airport bumming and such. By the third date, she got a ride in my 46 T-craft, spent some time helping with final details on the RV-4 I was building, and helped me recover an Aeronca Chief over run and flipover at the local airport. Surprisingly, every event I threw out, she became more excited about aviation, and I knew this was a keeper! The hardest part was the 40 hrs. of Phase one where she could only watch from the ground..40.1 on the Hobbs and she was in the back seat and hooked for ever. After several years of dating, the plans were stirring for the big day, but all the typical venues seemed dull..so I said "lets get married in the RV-4"..YES she said..flying right? Of couse, so we did at 5280 ft above the home airport in formation of 5. Since then, OSH, fly-ins, airshows, and flying anywhere are a no brainer. I got really lucky!..Oh, and she loves living at the airport and watching everyone else when we arent flying..Life is great!

Attachments

• IMG_4141.jpg
    IMG_4141.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 607
  • DSC_5152(1).jpg
    DSC_5152(1).jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 355
Marriage

Bill, congratulations! My wife of 56 years is a flight instructor as am I and she, naturally is supportive and happy with our flying. While I purchased the RV9A we have now, I did build the Sonex we flew for 4 years including three camping adventures at OSH. I too am greatly blessed with a wonderful wife. I am luckier than I deserve.

We need to fly to Advance and visit one day. I was born in Burlington, 1943
Ed

While our marriage is "second time around" for both of us, I must say I was lucky to find my wife, especially since she had never been in a small plane before, didn't know anyone "built" their own, and could not fathom the reason to live next to an airport. I was clear in our earliest date nights, certain things I would be doing were going to be "non-negotiable", such as hangar time, airport bumming and such. By the third date, she got a ride in my 46 T-craft, spent some time helping with final details on the RV-4 I was building, and helped me recover an Aeronca Chief over run and flipover at the local airport. Surprisingly, every event I threw out, she became more excited about aviation, and I knew this was a keeper! The hardest part was the 40 hrs. of Phase one where she could only watch from the ground..40.1 on the Hobbs and she was in the back seat and hooked for ever. After several years of dating, the plans were stirring for the big day, but all the typical venues seemed dull..so I said "lets get married in the RV-4"..YES she said..flying right? Of couse, so we did at 5280 ft above the home airport in formation of 5. Since then, OSH, fly-ins, airshows, and flying anywhere are a no brainer. I got really lucky!..Oh, and she loves living at the airport and watching everyone else when we arent flying..Life is great!

I found a unicorn! She loves building and flying and definitely easy on the eyes :D

IMG_1224.jpeg

We got married at 10,000 feet, in the airplane we built :D

IMG_1636.JPEG

Wives

My wife, the mother of three boys, all with their pilot's license, has it all figured out. When anyone asks her how it's possible that every male in our immediate family is a pilot, she responds, "It's a genetic defect."

My wife, the mother of three boys, all with their pilot's license, has it all figured out. When anyone asks her how it's possible that every male in our immediate family is a pilot, she responds, "It's a genetic defect."

Now that's funny! :D

-Marc

My wife falls in the #2 camp. We keep balance by doing lots of home projects intermixed with airplane projects.

There was a P-51 parked at San Jose airport for ages, just sitting with flat tires, shredded canopy cover, peeling paint. The story that went around the airport was that it once belonged to a couple and was the husband's pride and joy. When the couple divorced, the wife got the airplane. She let it sit there and rot at the airport as a parable to other pilots I guess.

My wife is supportive in EVERY way possible, but she's not a flyer. She'll drop any and everything she's doing if I need a hand or help with something. She never asks how much something cost either.

She's totally supported our daughter all the way through her ATP rating, and encourages everyone she can to fly..........she's just not a flyer herself.:(

My wife falls in the #2 camp. We keep balance by doing lots of home projects intermixed with airplane projects.

Yep. I'll likely allocate some airplane funds this winter to new upstairs carpet.... (She already stung me this summer on kitchen countertops....). But while in this building phase she leans toward 'this is your thing', I'll goof and say something like 'Maybe me and the boys can take the RV10 camping at Johnson Creek someday...'. She'll correct me by saying 'OK, well I'd expect I'll be coming too'. So there's hope she has her eyes on the reward of the sacrifice as well.

Our 2 boys are 3 year old and 9 months old..... I'd like to (and will need to), involve the spouse more when we get closer to the finish line.... For most of us men with 'we can do it ourselves' attitude, our biggest flaw is likely failing to ask for our wives to help or admit when we need their participation. I know I make the assumption that she isn't interested and I find a willing buddy instead. But I might be surprised by simply asking someday, when kids are a little more independent and a little less exhausting.

Last edited:
My late wife was kinda in the 2nd catagory. Didnt understand but ok. Then I took her to meet the members of Team AeroDynamix back in the days when we were sponsoring them. Boom, the light went on, and she was off to the races. Sun N Fun, then OSH and she was hooked. MAINLY supportive of the business side of things, but certainly would have enjoyed a 2.5 hour flight to her mom's instead of a 9.5 drive.

Fortunately for me, the higher power put us together. Unfortunately for me, he needed her with him to do greater things. She has her own wings now.

Tom

Lucky Guy

Not the category you're looking for Bob.

I took Dolly for a glider ride on our second date. I am grateful for finding a wife who is supportive and active participant. She gifted our build with several tools and even a microwave for the hangar. Her name is on the side of N50KB as a builder/navigator because she drilled, dimpled, deburred and riveted right along with me. I tell people she ran the rivet gun and I held the bucking bar.:)

Good luck with your writing.

Bob, hopefully you don't get a lot of what you are looking for. But, I'm sure they are out there and I think your topic is VERY worthy.

I reached out to my wife with your question and she put herself solidly into camp #2. I told her that I agree, but that she's trending toward #1. I would also put my 4 boys into that same category. My boys range in age from college down to 12 years old.

Even though they haven't been engaged in my project like I have, they have allowed me to put my heart and soul into it over the last 3.5 years--and for that I am very grateful!

My project is in my garage, so I'm not very far away. I have noticed over this time period a small shift in their willingness to help...a shift toward being more supportive. Fortunately, they are almost always willing to drop what they are doing to immediately come and help.

Perhaps now that things are starting to look like an airplane, it's becoming more real and exciting for them. Over this time, my wife and family have learned a lot and it's funny how the things they've learned surface at the most random moments.

I don't know, but I think I'm going to make it without falling into camp #3.

Ryan

nice stories!

Bob, like Ryan, I hope you don't get too many of #3. Some nice stories here! It's nice to read about people living their best lives with someone that cares about them, and they care about. Sharing a passion like building and/or flying is a nice bonus!

I will share that my wife now of almost 60 years falls in line with #2. Though, at the on set of my flying, she did not want anything to do with it, but supported me with my first Christmas gift of flying lessons. She would not even fly with me after I got my license. Then one day out of the blue she said she wanted to ride with me to go and purchase a set of Sheep shears. We were doing some farming at the time. The only mistake I made was teaching her how to read the instruments. She does not like to fly high! Even though it is safer, she does not like it, (farther to fall) she says. But building a plane is a different matter. It first started with a rebuild of a Cessna 170 from the ground up. She quickly became Rosie the Riverter. She would stop doing her thing when the need arose to rivet. We finished the 170 only after running the Rivet Gun through the wing once, my fault for pilling away the bucking bar too soon. Then we built the empennage of the Rv-10, after that we completed a flying RV-7A, then the final phase of our building was the empennage of the Rv-14, which we did not complete, but another has almost finished it. It has been a great time with her and I appreciated her help, which I am sure it helped us to attain almost 60 years. She has been a jewel.

Some of us, like me, have had AIDS twice.

Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome but still have the airplane.

Apparently not unusual.

There was a P-51 parked at San Jose airport for ages, just sitting with flat tires, shredded canopy cover, peeling paint. The story that went around the airport was that it once belonged to a couple and was the husband's pride and joy. When the couple divorced, the wife got the airplane. She let it sit there and rot at the airport as a parable to other pilots I guess.

My wife is also in the #2 category.

There was a Mooney parked outside at 3MY for over 37yrs for this exact reason, it was a true story. It was finally sold to the local A&P last year.

I've been building longer than I've known my wife. The project is going on 10 years, known her for 8 and married for 4.5. She married into the project and is solidly into camp #2.

My wife is in camp#2. She has been a supporter for 20+ years, of all my 3 RV kits, but her heart isn’t in it like mine. She would like to fly to Nashville to visit our daughter & family, or to go to our favorite place, Charlevoix, but outside that, her interest is in non-aviation interests (family). She really doesn’t like the back seat of a tandem airplane, hence the interest in another SBS, which would also be better for my grandkids. For them, I’ll need a SBS RV, or something like a Citabria to teach them how to fly.

My wife is type 4: not supportive or aggressively unsupportive. In fact when I told her I was going to build a plane (way back in '99), her response was "no you're not"...well, I did and she tolerated it probably because it wasn't worth picking a fight about it. We're both like that though, she does what she wants (and I can't really stop her) and I do what I want. If the Venn diagram overlaps, great, but if not, no problem. We've been married over 42 years so we're figured out how to accommodate each other in these cases. Fortunately, the Venn diagram overlaps in the important areas (family, love for each other and respect). Let's just say we're both hard headed and have learned to deal with it.

Naming rights

When I asked my wife to marry me I told her that I intended to build an airplane, that it was my dream to do so, it was going to be expensive in time and money, and that if she had a problem with that we needed to talk about it now. She said she'd think about it and the next time I saw her she said she thought it would be alright.

Years later during construction she asked me what I was going to name the bird and in a moment of inspiration I told her "Miss Supattra". If you want support from the S.O. for your project, name it after her. Yes, I did stop and build her a kitchen before we bought the engine. Good things flow both ways.

Ed Holyoke

My wife is in category two. I think mainly because she is terrified of flight in general. She has learned to tolerate a commercial flight, though it has to be a 737 or bigger. “Young inexperienced pilots fly the smaller planes”

But I’m grateful that she has supported me through 1 1/4 builds now. And she never complains when I go flying, though I know it worries her, and I know she would prefer I didn’t.

I still have a dream that one day something will go haywire in her brain and she will say, “can I go flying with you today?” There is no one In the world I would rather take flying!

She has a running joke with me. She says the only time she will go flying with me is if she or I has a terminal illness.

I’m truly grateful for my wife of 35 years and though I’d love to be in category 1, with her, because...well that would be cool, I’m happy to be in category 2.

Last edited:
My wife is a solid #2, mostly because she really has no mechanical aptitude. But she’s happy to fly places with me. And when I said that I was considering less expensive cloth for the seats, she said, “No. Get some nice leather.” So she was involved.

My current wife and I fit Cat 2. Great situation and she is very supportive and will help if asked. She even wants to see me get my flying fix. Says it improves my attitude.

However, the previous wife and I were Cat 3. She moved to California (from PA) and forgot to invite me. I kept the airplane she got the retirement plan. Been 25 years ago. PM if you like.

For a long time, I've wanted to write an article about homebuilding and marriage.

There are at least three types of marriages surrounding homebuilding.

* The fully engaged spouse who really is into the project.

* The spouse who is supportive of the project but doesn't want to participate. He/she has their own thing going and makes clear the project isn't hers/his, it's yours.

* The divorced spouse. It probably didn't collapse because someone decided to build an airplane, but it probably didn't help.

There are plenty of examples of the first scattered around VAF and I've enjoyed talking to them over the years and will probably circle back if I go ahead with this research.

I need only walk into the next room to meet the second kind. And they're pretty easy to find.

So I'm not too worried about providing their perspective and tips for keeping a marriage intact during an airplane build.

The third is the hardest to find, at least in terms of getting everyone to talk to a writer and be open about a failed marriage and an airplane project. And I'm not really interested in grinding marital axes. I want to find people who lost a marriage, who would've liked to have it have succeeded, and are introspective about things.

So I don't really know if this will get anywhere but it's worth putting out there. If you are in the THIRD group, and you'd be willing to talk about the strain a project put on a marriage, what you would/wouldn't do differently etc., please send me a PM or contact me at [email protected].

I think an article of this magnitude and research would be very helpful for married people considering building an airplane.

I think my wife is a reluctant #1. I think she realizes that resistance is futile so she might as well join in. ;)

Bob,

You're getting a lot of 1s and 2s, I'd like to offer you (and the community) a bit of an outside perspective from someone who is luckily in a 1.5* marriage.

We all know about that statistic that claims over half of marriages end up in divorce, but what many are unaware of is one of the fastest growing segments of the divorce industry is "Grey Divorce", where people in their 50s and even 60s are getting divorces. (Some studies are claiming that more than 25% of divorces in the US are Grey Divorces.) The kids move out of the house, or someone retires, people look at each other and realize they've drifted apart, or were never really in love and were just together for the kids, or just have other interests and decide to go separate ways, or one person wants to stay home in retirement and the other wants to finally travel, or a myriad of other reasons.

I could very easily see where a person has always wanted to learn to fly, or build an airplane, is in a borderline marriage, and the partner saying "Not while we're married." becomes the thing that pushes them to make the decision to end an unhappy situation.

*My wife and I are in a "second chance" marriage, we started dating in our early 50s and were happily single when we met. On the second date I took her out to my hangar, showed her the airplane (the wings were barely framed up) and made it clear what is meant to me. Took her flying a couple dates later at sunset over Puget Sound in a C-152, let her fly the airplane and explained how it all worked, then got her a ride in a SeaRey at Sun n Fun and she's been fully on board ever since.

P1010145+(Medium).JPG

She's really looking forward to getting the airplane done, but she also has her own interests (long arm quilting) that keep her from participating too much in the build.

Last edited:
Burt Rutan once said that on average, each airplane you build equals 1.7 wives.

The results posted so far here suggest that what Rutan said is FAR from true.
Maybe his adage only applies to people that make airplanes the way surf boards are made.

Another #2 here...

Married for 9 years to the day,,, The RV was 1.5 years from first flight when i met her, so the airplane was first ;-) no arguments there...
sometimes she even leans a bit towards #1 ;-) loves to fly along and travel.
a bit less involved since we have kids due to time and not wanting to risk orphaning them. and her "thing" are dogs, which solidly puts her into #2 territory, too.

Frankly, haven't heard from any story around here where the airplane would have been the trigger point.. More like the playball in the end game.

Misleading statistic in post #29 - “over half of marriages end in divorce”. Actually, roughly 65% of first marriages last until one of the spouses die. The statics get very different when you consider divorce. Second marriages have a much lower chance of survival than first marriages statistically. Maybe this relates to a spouses acceptance of his/her interest in airplanes.... maybe not. I’m not sure you could blame a divorce on your compulsion to build an airplane, and this of course is not gender specific.

My girl friend for 54 years/wife for 47 is a solid 2. She is very smart and has her own interests but has no mechanical aptitude, so hands on help doesn’t go well. She will fly with me if there is a place to go, but flying just for fun is out of the question. Building & flying was & is great therapy for me so I guess it helps her to.

Here are a few excerpts from one of our fellow builders a while ago who hosted a detailed builder's log. One of his topics was "The Married Dude's Guide to Aircraft Building." I won't disclose his name, but here are a few valuable tips he gave:

"A major factor in deciding to take the plunge into building an aircraft at home was to make sure my wife was behind it. I knew, based on how obsessive I always get over hands-on projects (or any project for that matter), that the people in my life could take a back seat role to this aircraft building stuff..... I had just gotten married a couple months before I finally made the decision to build [my] RV. I wanted to make sure (a) that my wife fully understood the changes that were going to take place, and (b) that I made every possible effort to prevent her from feeling left out or "replaced." Sounds ridiculous, but we all know this is common. The reality is that when you first get started building, there is nothing you'd rather be doing than building that sucker. And I mean nothing. So it took some real effort on my part to make sure my wife didn't feel left in the dust."
"You need to spend time with her. And I don't mean building. This sounds obvious, but it's the cardinal rule of aircraft building for married dudes. If there's one thing [she] hates, it's when I come in from the shop after she's already gone to sleep. She says it's like I'm not there when she wakes up, and I'm not there when she falls asleep. Not cool. As painful as it might be, you gotta take a Saturday or Sunday here and there and just not build for a day. Or at least part of a day. If this doesn't sound difficult now, you must not be building anything. It's tough to put the project down even for an hour. I don't know how many times I sat through a movie (even a good one), just waiting for it to be over so I could go home and build, build, build. But you have to force yourself to do it. It'll pay off in the long run."

Good advice if you can follow it. Unfortunately, it didn't work out for him.

Hi. Yeah, I'm aware of that article.

It was written when he'd been married a year.

Anybody can be married a year.

This is one of those subjects where the best perspective comes from hindsight.

I'm going for something with a little more depth.

Misleading statistic in post #29 - “over half of marriages end in divorce”. Actually, roughly 65% of first marriages last until one of the spouses die. The statics get very different when you consider divorce. Second marriages have a much lower chance of survival than first marriages statistically. Maybe this relates to a spouses acceptance of his/her interest in airplanes.... maybe not. I’m not sure you could blame a divorce on your compulsion to build an airplane, and this of course is not gender specific.

Yes, this is a good case of bad statistical analysis. Someone took the total marriages in a year and compared it to the total divorces in a year.

One of the areas I want to explore -- after i finish with the #3's -- is what the #2's are doing.

For example, if you look at the responses from #2's so far, you'll notice that the spouse is credited with -- for want of a better phrase -- putting up with the airplane project.

But the reality is that marriages are REALLY hard and require work and I want to explore what #2 builders are doing to accommodate that reality. YOu HAVE to balance the airplane project in some fashion because my suspicion is a lot of builders who have lost marriages got blindsided by a #2 spouse.

B

My wife has been in the #2 category for the thirteen years of my build and I'm not done yet. I tried hard and was mostly successful in not allowing the project to interfere with family time. Early on I worked between 4:30 - 6:00 am before work with some weekend time. As my kids got older evenings became my build time. Building at home in my garage and now a shop steps from the house has been key I think. Easily accessible and always technically "home".
I have traveled a lot for work at times over the years. Getting home Friday night and resisting the urge to disappear in the shop for the weekend was not always easy. There were times when I didn't touch the project for weeks, months, and even a year when I was traveling heavy. Kids youth, high school and college sports/activities always took priority. Some may laugh and not understand how I could drag this out and stick with it for over thirteen years, but I'm still married, got kids through college and tech school while having a well equipped -7 that I have paid cash for. That meets my definition of success and I look forward to adventures with my wife as empty nesters.
Lastly. She was able to retire three years ago after operating a hair salon for many years and she gets the new cars and I'm happy with my aging pick up. My engine from Barrett got her an X5 BMW. My panel from Steinair allowed her to trade and get a Jeep. The true cost of my completed - 7 will be close to a Cirrus, but I'm OK with that. Still cheaper than a divorce and I wouldn't forgive myself if I let that happen.

For example, if you look at the responses from #2's so far, you'll notice that the spouse is credited with -- for want of a better phrase -- putting up with the airplane project.

I think one key here for new (and current) builders and conversations with their spouse in the #2 camp is the true difference between 'Support' and 'Tolerance'. They are very different.

Allowing your spouse something (item/time) with poor feelings or intention definitely is not in the 'Support' camp. I think this is what most initial #2 categories don't get sorted out, and become #3 categories. While verbal support might have been there, the action of carrying that out was merely tolerance, and not recognizing this will lead down a difficult road.

There are seasons my wife supports the project, and seasons where my wife tolerates the project. I have to be vigilant in what season we are in, and adjust my time balance and priorities accordingly while keeping open communication of both of our expectations. This conversation doesn't only happen once at the beginning of your project - it will continue through the life ownership of the asset.

Last edited:
There are seasons my wife supports the project, and seasons where my wife tolerates the project. I have to be vigilant in what season we are in, and adjust my time balance and priorities accordingly while keeping open communication of both of our expectations. This conversation doesn't only happen once at the beginning of your project - it will continue through the life ownership of the asset.

This is a brilliant observation.

surprised

I'm pleasantly surprised that this thread has not drawn out more #3s. I expected a few. So far by count, there is really only one. Maybe people in that camp don't want to talk about it?

I have known a few sailplane owner/pilots that ended up divorced 'sort of' because of lack of shared interest in soaring. And that activity, while it can be consuming, is more sporadic in scheduling, not a steady demand like building.

I'm pleasantly surprised that this thread has not drawn out more #3s. I expected a few. So far by count, there is really only one. Maybe people in that camp don't want to talk about it?

I know a #3. Next time I see him I’ll mention this thread, let him decide if he wants to contribute (he’s registered here but logs in infrequently). I think Steve is right. Some builders are totally unaware of their spouse’s changing feelings, and are blind-sided. And don’t really wish to air their dirty laundry. As an aside, just before Covid, I had jury duty. It was not a divorce trial, but the accused and the accuser were mid-divorce. It was painful for the jury, we can only imagine how the involved parties felt.

I've had two goes at bat (like most Airline drivers) and both where a weight around my neck when it came to aviation! I'm not sure I envy those that have a supporting spouse cause I've come to realise that women & aviation don't always mix but good luck to those that manage the often at times difficult Union!:)

surprised...

ok, I'll bite on the absence of #3's in this thread: I built an RV long before getting married and I still have it after the divorce! (aka., "Airplane: long before you came, long after you go...")

Best comment I can make to the unmarried builders out there: find a partner who just wants you doing what makes you happy!

cheers,

- Steven (1400 RV hours - another one yesterday!)

My wife had no interest in building, but she had no problem with my building and no problem with me buying the kit. I tried to keep the project in it's proper place priority wise which is why it took me 16 years to build a 6A.

My big win is that my wife loves to go. The mode of travel is unimportant to her. She has no interest in piloting, but is quite happy to let me fly. We take off, she drops off to sleep, and I wake her up for the landing. Just returned to Baton Rouge from Mount Magazine, Ark. We both had fun. She'll get an impulse to go somewhere else in a few months and will tease me by speculating about whether we could fly there. Works every time.

John

Best comment I can make to the unmarried builders out there: find a partner who just wants you doing what makes you happy!

- Steven (1400 RV hours - another one yesterday!)

I have a #2 of this sort. Lucky me.

She has no interest in flying (gets motion sick easily) or building, but is happy for me “to do my thing.” She’s capable of entertaining herself also, and we do a lot (not everything) together.

First wife was a #3: “Get your @$$ to the airport and come home when you’re in a better mood.” Like Bob said in the description, building and flying wasn’t the root cause of the failure, but it didn’t help.

Current (and I’m 99% sure the last) wife is #2 with strong #1 leanings. No natural mechanical aptitude, but is willing to learn. She doesn’t want to be heavily involved with the build, but will help when asked if she’s not too busy with something else. After a little practice on scrap she shot some rivets on the bottom wing skins and did a nice job (but for some reason refuses to buck). As for flying, she’s always disappointed when her schedule interferes with a $100 hamburger run planned at the last minute, and a multi-day cross country doesn’t faze her in the least.

I have known a few sailplane owner/pilots that ended up divorced 'sort of' because of lack of shared interest in soaring. And that activity, while it can be consuming, is more sporadic in scheduling, not a steady demand like building.

I've actually gotten quite a few responses in my inbox. Actually more than I thought I'd get.

Back