What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

'6 Aerobatics

Do you have an example sequence flown for this RV Event? And just curious - what is the issue with RV inverted spins? Is there a UK regulation related to spin testing performed (or not performed) by Vans in this case?

Do you have an example sequence flown for this RV Event? And just curious - what is the issue with RV inverted spins? Is there a UK regulation related to spin testing performed (or not performed) by Vans in this case?

The sequence flown for UK RV events is shown on the results at the bottom of the linked page (just click on the "known" score). Pilots can nominate to omit either the first or last manouver (the idea being to help those without inverted systems) or fly them all but nominate which one is not scored beforehand. We have a 1500' min height rule for the RV event.

Here in the UK the scope for side by side RV's is limited to "Club" level only (no spins allowed) with the tandem models it's club and sports levels only (intermediate requires an inverted spin and flickroll clearance). A "4" won our Sports level nationals a few years back. Basically this all comes down to the type's clearances for spinning and flick rolls which are the same here as in the USA as far as I know.

Another issue we have identified is that several of the main insurance underwriters of RV's do not cover aerobatic competition flying - hence we stage as a training / coaching event.

For what it's worth, I personally think that it's a fair challenge flying aeros in an RV within a competition box. If you are used to "sunday afternoon" aeros and making it all up as you go along then flying an accurate sequence, to order at an exact place and time can come as quite a shock ...... and a first rate method for improving your flying :D.

Last edited:
Basically this all comes down to the type's clearances for spinning and flick rolls which are the same here as in the USA as far as I know.

I like the idea of the RV event. Regarding spins, it's up to the builder how far they take Phase I testing. There's no prohibition from Vans against spinning any of the aerobatic models, side by side or tandem, just the recommendation that pilots limit spin testing of the side by sides to 2-turns due to the acceleration rate fully developed, which may be disconcerting for pilots with limited spin experience. But they still recover with normal inputs regardless of number of turns. Experienced acro pilots should have no issue with the rotation rate. This issue has been discussed plenty on this forum. I never understood the concern with respect to competition acro, since you'll never do more than a 1 1/2 turn spin with an RV in competition.

Snaps are a similar matter. Van originally published info on snap characteristics and recommended speeds, but later published his opinion that RVs are not well suited to snaps. Considering how poorly understood this maneuver is, and the potential to do them incorrectly at higher speeds than necessary, this is probably a good recommendation for the average pilot who does not have significant snap experience/training. They can be snapped successfully, though. Most who do simply use care with snap speed.

Back