What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Info on Tail Wheel Chain

jim miller

Well Known Member
I have done some research on tail wheel chain that may be of interest to
others and have located a good source to purchase by the foot.
The chain that came with my tailsprings I recently purchased looked a little
light to me so checked and found the following:

This type of chain is called sash chain and comes in several sizes and weight
limits. Also available in plain. nickel finish, or zinc plated. The common sizes
are #35, 45, 50, 60, 65 with working load ratings from 100 to 320lbs. I have
ordered some 50 and 60 to compare to what I already have.

The place to buy is MSC industrial supply (800)645-7270. The prices are in
the 1.50 to 2.50 per foot range.

JM

Have you ever broken a tailwheel chain on an RV?

I've never even heard of it happening. I've heard of people wearing them out but never overpowering them.

I've never even heard of it happening. I've heard of people wearing them out but never overpowering them.

My chains have stretched enough after 300-hours, they needed replacement because they had too much slack but not enough to remove a link.

At 600-hours, I replaced the chain with cable. That was over 2,000 flying hours ago and the cable is still working fine. (Yes over 2,600 hours on the RV-6.)

My point was I have three sets of compression tailwheel springs, two that came with the less engine RV3 I bought and a third SS springs i recently
purchased. All three have a different size chain. I wanted american made
quality chain of the size of my choosing, not just what someone decides to
send me. I posted to inform only those with a desire to buy new tailwheel chains.

Back