What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need pics of slider forward skin access panels

airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
With my canopy almost done, I'm at the point of doing my instrument panel and the forward topskin before glassing the windshield fairing. I have talked to enough other builders who recommend putting in some access panels in the top skin just forward of the windshield (to get to the back of the panel) that I have decided to go ahead and do that mod on mine as well. I am looking for some pic examples to go by if anyone has some available...

I'm also planning to install access panels. Were you able to get any pictures?
Thanks,

Paul
N277PM
LAF
Doing canopy for the second time
Ready to hang the engine O-360-B2C modified for constant speed

Here some pics!

Here are a few of how I did it! I used a nipper tool, because a friend had one, but most everywhere else I just used a jig saw. I just made a ring that the cover plate sits on and to the ring is the nut plates for the cover. Similar to the baggage floor doors in one of the other pictures here. I been back into those panels a few times over the last 6 yrs. I put proseal down as a gasket and used saran wrap between it and the cover plate until it dried. I use a little RTV on the screws to keep them from leaking, had to drill a couple heads off to remove them but better than them leaking.

https://picasaweb.google.com/bobbyhesterKY/BuildPics

Here are mine

I used fiberglass on mine. Both on the panels and the backing plate. No rivets to show. Used Click Bond. Cut the holes with a Drimmel and file. Used five layers of glass for the backing plates and four for the panels.

U1F0PbqQyNr4RdY0cuxUjYaWDKmnLEuMtauRb7Kmyck

liREdh1bVYqeusijd23bLYaWDKmnLEuMtauRb7Kmyck

Need more info - PM me.

Last edited:
Access

On my 9A slider I gained access to the instruments by trimming the "ears" of the IP so that I can unscrew and pull the panel straight back. I have about 10 inches of free access when I do this. It takes about an hour to do, but provides access to all intruments and wiring that I could not have otherwise.

Jim Frisbie
RV-9A 300 hrs.

Thank you

Thank you all for the great pictures and additional ideas. This weekend I plan to start laying then out.

Paul
Laf
RV7A slider
N277PM
Starting canopy (for second time)

Forward skin access covers

If this helps at all, this is how I did it. Fiberglass covers so I could place GPS antennas under them. Works great!

AccessCovers

Thanks

Paul K;

I was not aware that a GPS signal could be received through paint. I like what you did. What weave did you use on the fiberglas.

Thanks,

Paul R
[email protected]
N277PM
LAF
Go Boilers

Works perfectly! Lots of GPS antennas mounted inside the cowl just in front of the firewall.

The cloth is nothing exotic, just off the shelf stuff from the aviation section of Pep Boys. I think I used about 6 layers with WEST. Tried to make it about 1/16" thick. Doesn't have to be structural, the rings make up the strength lost in cutting those big holes!

Back