What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pirep: what's the best flight bag? Bison or Sporty's???

flyboy1963

Well Known Member
Okay, the Bison is custom fit to the seatback of the RV-6,7,9, but does anyone use one Bison and another bag, because one stays in the plane, the other is better for hauling headsets, logs, PLB and water etc. to and from the plane?
I like the look of the small Sporty's backpack-style bag, just not sure on the utility of various ones.
I have all my cr@p that goes home with me in a big flat duffle, which gets strapped to the seat beside me. When carrying a passenger, suddenly all that stuff is out of reach!
Soliciting Feedback, opinions, and wild imaginings!

This is what I wear.. then you don't need a bag.:)

s7-air-force-fighter-pilot.jpg

I have two of the Bison bags. They contain stuff that I don't use on a daily basis (survival gear, tiedowns, extra oil etc.) and it is a great place to store this sort of gear. For the daily stuff (charts, fuel drain, etc.) I have a smaller flight bag. The Bison is perfect for behind the seat storage since it is fitted to the airplane, but I find it a bit big and inconvenient to be taking in and out of the airplane daily.

my two cents.

greg

I have a Bright Line bag and I really don't like it very much. The idea is really good, but, for my personal need, is not perfect. There is no space for both a Jeppesen VFR guide and a kneeboard (I use the Jeppesen trifold). More, I use a Jeppesen PJ-1 plotter but is too long for that bag.
Lastly, the zip are very low quality...

Now I'm considering this one but I'd like a user comment about it.

Good solid product but...

I have two of the Bison bags. They contain stuff that I don't use on a daily basis (survival gear, tiedowns, extra oil etc.) and it is a great place to store this sort of gear. For the daily stuff (charts, fuel drain, etc.) I have a smaller flight bag. The Bison is perfect for behind the seat storage since it is fitted to the airplane, but I find it a bit big and inconvenient to be taking in and out of the airplane daily.

my two cents.

greg

I agree with Greg. The real issue I have with the bag is the main compartment is on the angled side of the bag, the side that fits up against the backrest. So, you can't get into the bag unless you loosen your tie down straps and move it back.

We use the Bison bag, as overnight luggage for hotels. It's large enough, and saves room by fitting partially under the seat & over the flap tube. My maps for the day flight go into side pockets of the aircraft, and others go in the Bison. I don't use a seperate flight bag.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

my 2 cents,,,Bison

I've owned the Bison for several years, we travel all the time in our 7a and they work out great,, as for charts, I use nothing,, they get rotated from the hanger, out of date charts, approach plates and enroute charts. You can get too much stuff in the plane and if you have a passenger, then it's very hard to get your bag or items from the back, unless you plan and leave your flight bag in reach. I keep what I need close and handy, usually between the seat, on my left side or on the floor by the fuel selector.

Buy a pair of Bison's and go fly!!

Kenny Gene
294TC 7a AWC 9-5-07 593 hrs
484TC 10 AWC 10-30-10 Nearing first flight

best bags ...Plus!?!?

wow, lots of good feedback!
looks like I'll get one Bison at least, and think hard about having some better storage between the seats or on the sidewall ...pouches etc.

FWIW, I've seen a great $75 fly-fishin' bag that is modular, with zip-off sections etc. from Mirage, but it's next to impossible to find.
....the other trend of everything being 'camo' is really a pain, when I'd prefer fluorescent orange!!!!

I've had a Cencal flight bag for about 12 years that's still going strong. I just went looking for a link online and found out that the owner of the company was jailed for tax evasion a few years ago, so i'm guessing they're no longer in business... Too bad, they made nice bags.

Best bags and knee boards you can buy

http://www.flywings.com/catalog.htm

Most guys I know in the military that bought stuff from them going through flight school in Pensacola are still using the originals. Mine are going on 7 years old (knee board and bag)

Now that you've mentioned knee boards..........I thought I'd never want one in these tight fitting RV's. But now I use a folding padded model, and it's been great! My wife doesn't constantly have to fumble through charts & the little "Flight Guide" that used to be available. Actually, I'd copy a number of required airports out of the flight guide on to one foldable page, and clip that on to the knee board.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Back