What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New to Vans RV

flightec

I'm New Here
Hi, I'm picking up a partial complete RV12 next week and hoping there are some builder/owners nearby I can speak with and check out your 12.
I've got 40+ years as an A&P/IA but this will be my first Vans/EAB project.

I live in Marshall NC but really closer to Johnson City TN. New here so hope this is the right place to post this. BTW, I'm not looking for you tube video recommendations, I've probably seen them all. I'm looking for, as we use to say "a metal blueprint" AKA a finished 12 I can sit in.
Thank!
Dave

Welcome Dave! A lot of RVators went to Oshkosh I am sure after the show you will get a message from a fellow builder :)

Hi Dave, I live near Johnson City, TN and I built an RV-12 in 2016-2017. You are more than welcome to come and look at it/sit in it. A couple questions....you specify it's an EAB, do you plan on completing it as EAB or ELSA? (if that's still possible) Also, is it an RV-12 or RV-12is? Mine is the original RV-12 with the 912ULS engine, built as ELSA. I know you said you have seen all the YouTube videos, so I assume you saw mine (I built it in CA, moved to TN in 2019). I am leaving for Oshkosh tomorrow but would be happy to have you come by after I get back. Paul

Right down the road

Hi Dave,

I’m right down the road in Weaverville. Although I’m waiting for my -12is kit to start showing up, I’d be happy to lend a hand if/when needed. Maybe I can learn a thing or two the easy way 😉

Curious: where do you plan to hanger? It’s a question I’ve yet to answer for myself. AVL appears to be out.

-Ron

Thank you for the kind welcome and reply's and PM's! I will be reaching out to you all for advice for sure.

The kit is mostly complete except the two most expensive kits, engine and avionics. It is a classic UL 2014 air frame and I'm going EAB so I can have fuel injection and higher service ceiling. Maybe even some other avionics options, I'm a life long A&P and I just can leave stuff alone :rolleyes:

The main reason I chose the 12 is the removable wings, hangars are just almost non existent at my closest airport otherwise I would have got another Bonanza. This has been a tough choice but I just can't leave a plane tied outside for years.

Hope everyone enjoys Oshkosh!
Dave

Back