What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A Introduction/BAP 4.3L Conversion

Nr5aJ

Having finished my private pilot license this summer, I figured I enjoyed flying enough to purchase an airplane for my IFR training. I recently bought an RV-6A that was built with a 4.3L Mercruiser engine and Belted Air Power PSRU. It has one mechanical and one electric fuel pump, with redundant ignitions. One of my big missions will be to take cross-country flights around the west coast, and also to train IFR. I would like to be proficient at night IFR, as well.

On the flight to my home airport, the engine ran smoothly without hiccup, though was slower than expected at 140-145 knots cruise speed. Temperatures stayed around 190-200 degrees F, both oil and water. It does not seem to have any issues with temperatures, even in constant climb. I think the airplane in its current configuration would be great for local trips, though for cross country it won’t have quite the range needed.

I plan to re-power the aircraft with a conical mount O-320 with constant speed prop to allow for increased speed and range. Still deciding if I would like to fit the new engine with electronic ignition or fuel injection. I will also be putting in a new panel for IFR.

I will put the 4.3L firewall-forward up for sale as a complete kit. The original builder was a mechanic and I think he has the plane dialed in at this point. Perhaps someone will be interested in an inexpensive firewall forward to power a plane for local trips.

I am searching for a conical engine mount, complete external cowling, and ancillary parts to complete the engine swap. In the meantime, I will put some hours on the plane. I plan to fly this plane as I begin work on an RV-10 starting (hopefully) next year. If anyone has questions about the engine in its current configuration, I am happy to fulfill some curiosity. If anyone with experience with the BAP setup has any advice for me or believes my specs to be inconsistent with other swaps, I would appreciate the feedback. Excited to join you all. Pictures to follow!

I heard about your recent purchase, congratulations. I spoke to Matt about a couple of leads on engines for your plane. Next time you are at KCXP let me know. Ill PM you my contact information.

I heard about your recent purchase, congratulations. I spoke to Matt about a couple of leads on engines for your plane. Next time you are at KCXP let me know. Ill PM you my contact information.

Will do! Thanks again for all the help via Matt!

I have a few questions...

Which prop does it on the V6?

Is your declared cruise speed KTAS, IAS, MPH, GPS, other?

what was the altitude and manifold pressure at that speed?

Bevan

Prop: Warp-drive, as described in some other Belted Air Power builds I have seen

Cruise speed was calculated via GPS with relative wind considered.

Altitude was 9000' MSL, with manifold pressure of 22 inches.

Back