What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for RV-8

Scotty G

Well Known Member
Hi, gang,

Just joined the forum the other day as a way to educate myself further on these fantastic airplanes.

I’m looking for a RV-8, preferably with a 180-200+ HP fuel injected engine and the Hartzell blended prop. Lower false spar rivet spacing and the vertical attach/SB are important items to me. I need a solid and safe build.

Nice to have items include G3X, sliding canopy, Rocket tailwheel, James/Showplanes cowl. Will consider something a little different as long as the engine/prop combo are there. I’d consider carb’d for the right mix of other items.

Thanks in advance, and fly safe.

Scottt Germain
[email protected]

Lower false spar rivet spacing and the vertical attach
:confused: what false spar are you referring too?

vertical attach/SB are important items to me. I need a solid and safe build.

There’s a HS SB but none for the VS other than some mislabeled skins back in 2014. The SB calls out for an inspection for cracks at every annual condition inspection. No cracks, no fix required, so I would not eliminate any RV8’s that don’t have this installed and have no cracks. Antisplataero does have a vertical stab bracket mod. This is strictly an optional mod. As far as I know, no VS separations have occurred and a lot of us do acro on a regular basis.

You can find all the Vans service information on their website for every RV model.

Welcome to the RV world and good luck in your search for a magic carpet.

Thanks C/Karl(s)!

A friend of mine who owns an -8 told me about a row of rivets on/near/around the rear spar of the lower wing. The spacing is such that a row of rivets doesn’t have enough room. Something to that effect. Another friend building one confirmed. If I’m using immaculate terms, please excuse me. I’m learning the RV-8 language and trying to take it all in.

Again, thanks for the input!

Scotty

Maybe they are referring to the aft spar attachment. There is one bolt that goes there and it's a one shot deal. After you set the incidence and sweep on the wings, clamp everything in place, and have the proper edge distance, then and only then do you drill that hole, undersized then reamed to the proper size. There are reports of "snowmen" holes, oversized holes or holes without the proper edge distance. I cannot imagine replacing that rear spar if you don't drill that hole accurately. It's akin to making the big cut on the canopy. One shot and there is no redo, or at the very least, very expensive and time consuming redo.

In the picture I've circled the location of the aft spar where it attaches to the pass through spars in the fuselage (R wing viewed from the aft inboard side). As far as the rivets are concerned, 99% of the RV8 parts are pre-punched so you really have to be trying hard to not have the right edge distance on any panels.

If you're not going to build it then the best investment you can make is a proper pre-buy by an RV expert. Vic Syracuse, super moderator on this site, would be my first choice. Base Leg Aviation, advertiser on Vansairforce.

Attachments

• Wings-072.JPG
    Wings-072.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 323
Yep, already decided to find a great RV guy for the pre-buy. Thank you.

The rivet line my friend was speaking about is inspected with a phone camera or GoPro stuck up through the wing access panels.

Maybe they are referring to the aft spar attachment. There is one bolt that goes there and it's a one shot deal. After you set the incidence and sweep on the wings, clamp everything in place, and have the proper edge distance, then and only then do you drill that hole, undersized then reamed to the proper size. There are reports of "snowmen" holes, oversized holes or holes without the proper edge distance. I cannot imagine replacing that rear spar if you don't drill that hole accurately. It's akin to making the big cut on the canopy. One shot and there is no redo, or at the very least, very expensive and time consuming redo.

In the picture I've circled the location of the aft spar where it attaches to the pass through spars in the fuselage (R wing viewed from the aft inboard side). As far as the rivets are concerned, 99% of the RV8 parts are pre-punched so you really have to be trying hard to not have the right edge distance on any panels.

If you're not going to build it then the best investment you can make is a proper pre-buy by an RV expert. Vic Syracuse, super moderator on this site, would be my first choice. Base Leg Aviation, advertiser on Vansairforce.

I'm helping a guy at the airport and they did this wrong. .I wasn't there when they drilled it, but it has forward sweep, and not enough incidence. On top of that, the real problem was the lack of edge distance. .the plans call for 5/8 and they only had 1/2!
We are changing those parts. .

Edge distance

I'm helping a guy at the airport and they did this wrong. .I wasn't there when they drilled it, but it has forward sweep, and not enough incidence. On top of that, the real problem was the lack of edge distance. .the plans call for 5/8 and they only had 1/2!

When doing the wing incidence on any of the Vans aircraft. The plans call for a specific edge distance for positioning and drilling the rear spar attachment. You end up drawing a box measured in from the edges of center spar attachment section that protrudes from the fuse. The center of the hole needs to be within that box. Not the edge of the hole. If I recall when I built my 9 the edge distance from all edges was 5/8”. I remember calling Vans about this as I had trouble maintaining 5/8” from edge of the hole from the outside edge of the bracket.
I was specifically told the center of the hole needed to be within the 5/8 box not the edge of the hole.

Before you spend much time and replacing the center spar attachment, I would check in with Vans on that.

Also note that according to Faa 43-13, edge distance is measured from the center of the hole.

Attachments

• AA867C31-201A-41C9-A45A-C97084159B04.jpeg
    AA867C31-201A-41C9-A45A-C97084159B04.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:

So when somebody misdilled this rear-spar attach hole, how can this getfixed?

Replacing the angle on the fuselage with a new one is easy but what is the solution to repair the wing rear spar without removing the entire assembly from the wing? Will using a doubler workable in this case? Just curious

So when somebody misdilled this rear-spar attach hole, how can this getfixed?

Replacing the angle on the fuselage with a new one is easy but what is the solution to repair the wing rear spar without removing the entire assembly from the wing? Will using a doubler workable in this case? Just curious

Not easy replacing the rear spar on a wing but I hear it is doable. A lot of drilling rivets. Not sure you could use a doubler since it has to slide in between the fuselage spar bars. I suspect that’s why some RV’s are flying around with “snowman” holes in the rear spar. Definitely something I would look at if looking to buy an RV.

Are you interested in a project or do you have to have a finished plane. mine meets your criteria pretty closely. Custom slider canopy mod. finished.

Dan,

I’ve come across the ‘perfect’ plane for me at my home airport. Who’da thunk..?For right now, I’m pursuing that. If it falls through, I’ll contact you. Thanks!

Thanks to all for contacting me!

I ended up finding a perfect fit airplane right under my nose at my local airport. It’s like it was custom built for me. The deal is financed, and as soon as it’s done, I’ll be happy to share a few photos.

Thanks again to those that reached out!

Back