What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beringer Complete Wheel/Brake Kit?

majuro15

Well Known Member
I saw in their newsletter that a complete kit for the 10 was released that looks fantastic. I still haven't seen it available so reached out directly to Beringer for information.

The quote came back for a grand total of $3991. That is for all three wheels, brake kit, master cylinders, and stainless steel lines. The mentioned the copilot kit was separate, as this kit only has two master cylinders.

That seems like a lot to me. I love the look and quality of their nose wheel but is this that much better than the Matco stuff? I was going to use TS Flightlines for the lines anyway.

Thoughts?

Wheels

I used the matco kit and have been happy with the fit and finish so far. Not flying yet but it looks like it will definitely stop a -10. I think it was about $1300...

I saw in their newsletter that a complete kit for the 10 was released that looks fantastic. I still haven't seen it available so reached out directly to Beringer for information.

Would you mind attaching or posting a link to the newsletter that you are talking about?

The quote came back for a grand total of $3991. That is for all three wheels, brake kit, master cylinders, and stainless steel lines. The mentioned the copilot kit was separate, as this kit only has two master cylinders.

That seems like a lot to me. I love the look and quality of their nose wheel but is this that much better than the Matco stuff? I was going to use TS Flightlines for the lines anyway.

Thoughts?

I can't speak to Berenger. I got the Matco wheels, brakes, and calipers, plus some axle hardware for about $1300. With that arrangement, you keep the stock master cylinders and in-cockpit plumbing. And there's nothing wrong with that stuff. It is the same hardware that's been flying trouble-free in my RV-6 for 16 years.

The only reason I upgraded was my concern over the thin margin the stock brakes offer relative to the energy necessary in a maximum performance braking event.

I've had the Matco wheels and brakes on my 10 for a number of years now. Yes, it is just a matter of swapping out the wheels and the brakes as everything else stays the same.
I've been very pleased with the performance. The stopping power is dramatically different, and there is no brake fading at all.
I do like the looks of the Beringer setup, but that is really pricey, and given the performance of the Matco it would be really hard to justify.

Vic

Beringer Rv10 main wheels

Yes, the Rv10 kit is available, I purchased, installed and love them. I love the parking brake feature because I can safely leave my 10 on a standard Kansas (windy) ramp without worry. The mains are tubeless and the disc brakes are larger, strong braking, lighter, well built and look awesome. I have had the Rv10 tubeless nose wheel since first flight and have over 630 hours.

I have main rims serial #1 & 2. I purchased back in April of 2016, finally got the time to install in June. My buddy Keith Rhae and I installed the Beringer masters on both sets of rudder pedals and the parking brake. I sent many pictures to Viviane of my install/conversion with a couple of suggestions. The Beringer brake system uses -3 instead of the -4, so adaptors are used on the firewall and bulkhead fittings at fuselage. For me, the task of refitting my wheel pants was the worst part of the conversion. I flew my 10 to OSH 2016 without pants, just because I hated the thought of laying on floor to refit, but soon after Keith and I got my pants back on and so worth it!

FYI, I worked with Viviane Michaud, she is actually the niece of the owner/engineer. She is great to work with. During the time of my conversion, Beringer moved office from Chicago to new office and space in Greenville, SC, 1-864-214-4274.

I don't know how to post pictures, but if someone wants additional information or pictures, please PM.

No regrets, no leaks, no drips, very pleased and well worth it.

Kenny Gene
Wichita KS area Air Capital
Rv7a AWC 9-07 690 hrs sold 11-11
Rv10 AWC 10-10 634 hours

I did the Matco conversion after about a year with the original Vans system. Love it, no sign of brake fade in the most extreme tests.

I have a Berringer nose wheel which is very nice, but I get nervous thinking of a flat away from home. Your average FBO will not be able to fix it. Having tubeless mains just increases that anxiety.

Bringing the thread back from the dead, I have all three Beringer wheels on and am working on the wheel pants.

I'm running into an issue with the spacer being too long, it seems. The wheel pant won't center over the wheel without the spacer being cut to a shorter length. Anyone else install the full system yet and have the wheel pants installed?

I hate to cut this just to realize I did something wrong and shouldn't have.

Thanks!

Thoughts?

can't speak for the RV10 kit, but i have on on my LSA, which i can very highly speak about.
its the only LSA that breaks safely and promptly at a very light pull of a handle. no issues so far after two years, and we are not going easy on it :)

-Oren

Bringing the thread back from the dead, I have all three Beringer wheels on and am working on the wheel pants.

I'm running into an issue with the spacer being too long, it seems. The wheel pant won't center over the wheel without the spacer being cut to a shorter length. Anyone else install the full system yet and have the wheel pants installed?

I hate to cut this just to realize I did something wrong and shouldn't have.

Thanks!

Which won't center - the top centerline with the tire center or the bottom opening? I am doing pants right now as well. I centered the top, but wasn't too worried about centering the bottom; Will just trim accordingly to get the spacing I need. The pant isn't in vertical alignment with the fuse anyways, so a slight angle off center on that axis won't matter, except for tire clearance. However, there is a LOT of clearance space.

I wouldn't worry about trimming down the extension, as you can fill the gap back with flox later.

Larry

Last edited:
The pant wont center longitudinally on the wheel. The bottom opening can only be trimmed so much before it's wider on one side than the other. Which still doesn't allow for the spacer to fit inside the wheel. I'm thinking I'll have to trim the spacer. I measured the width of the spacer and the pant mounting bracket and it's wider than the pant! The wheel and nut are properly installed. I think Beringer just left that out of their manual. It's pretty lacking overall.

Back