What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quiz of the Day: Can You Identify This Airport?

Keith9A

I'm New Here
We recently visited this well-known area on vacation. Sorry for the hazy photo, but this is typical of the visibility in this unique environment. The runway is in the center of the photo from 9:00 to 3:00. This photo was taken at about 1300 AGL.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2nipe0g.png

photo:

2nipe0g.jpg

Clue #1

This is a public airport with world famous distinction. As far as I know, Vlad has not flown to this airport. That should shorten the list of possibilities considerably. :)

Clue #2

The runway orientation is 01/19 and the com frequency is 120.9.
I took the photo from an elevation about 1300 feet above the airfield, but I am not in an airplane. Do not assume I flew my plane to this location.

We Have A Winner

This is Bar Yehuda Airfield - at 1240 feet below sea level it is the lowest elevation airport in the world. The photo was taken on top of Mesada, looking to the east over the Dead Sea. The Dead Sea is nearly 10 times saltier than the ocean and creates a haze that you can taste over the Jordan River Valley. The temperature was 106F when we were there in September - it gets hotter in the summer months.

As a point of reference, Death Valley is the lowest land point in North America and is 282 feet below sea level.

Congratulations Brian!

We Have A Winner

This is Bar Yehuda Airfield - at 1240 feet below sea level it is the lowest elevation airport in the world. The photo was taken on top of Mesada, looking to the east over the Dead Sea. The Dead Sea is nearly 10 times saltier than the ocean and creates a haze that you can taste over the Jordan River Valley. The temperature was 106F when we were there in September - it gets hotter in the summer months.

As a point of reference, Death Valley is the lowest land point in North America and is 282 feet below sea level.

Congratulations Brian!

LLMZ

Wow LLMZ is a winner indeed. I've been to 8 airports located below sea level. If I add all minus elevations I get 721 feet only. This one is deep. Someday... :)

LLMZ%20-%201.jpg

The runway orientation is 01/19 and the com frequency is 120.9.
I took the photo from an elevation about 1300 feet above the airfield, but I am not in an airplane. Do not assume I flew my plane to this location.

Which means the pic was taken at sea level, very cool!

general aviation friendly

Anyone know how general aviation friendly the middle east is? One would guess not too much, but curious if anyone knows.

Back