What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sam James Plenum with Vans cowling

bjohnson1234

Well Known Member
I called Sam about using his plenum with my Vans cowling and he said a lot of people had modified the Vans cowling to mate with the round holes on his plenum. Does anyone have any pictures? Thanks!

Look up all DanH's posts with the search function and then begin looking in 2009. A few pictures are missing, but many still there.

plenum

I have a James plenum modified to van's rectangle openings. I could e-mail you some pics. Ron

Rv10 with SJ cowl and standard baffling

I worked with Will and Sam James several years ago when I removed my plenum and now have such a combination on my Rv10.

I'd be happy to email pictures if you send me a PM. I also have a covered hanger at KDVT and fly out there frequently so you could also see in person, first of August, after OSH '14.

My oil and CHT temps dropped 30 to 50 degrees after taking off the SJ plenum, however I also removed my A/c and retarded my timing, so it was a combo. Never regret taking off the plenum, its so much easier to check out engine items without having to remove the plenum. I have over 375 hours on my Rv10 now.

Kenny Gene
Wichita Kansas area

....and remember, none of it came from Sam.

Nope, I did not forget, but IIRC, you modified a standard cowl to go with round passages to the "engine cover" or non-cowl, plenum. I was not sure what his (OP) intention was, round or rectangular. I just though your work could either scare him away or provide inspiration to make his own plenum cover.:D

Actually, your high placed air inlets would seem to have an air flow efficiency advantage over the crank centered SJ ones as the "dam" at the front cylinders are reduced.

Back