What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ugly Duckling to Swan - It's Painted

JVolkober

Well Known Member
N29JV?s paint job was completed on January 3rd, eight months after its first flight. The ugly duckling, if any RV in any flying state can be referred to as an ugly duckling, with its pink nose and roughed out fiberglass fittings turned into swan thanks to the work of Trevor Lacy at Classic Aircraft Restoration. Trevor works out of Green Mountain air strip on the north side of Vancouver, WA. a mere 5 miles from where I am based at Grove Field in Camas. I was very fortunate to find an excellent painter who really went the extra distance to work with me without having to travel a long distance.

2555rg5.jpg

ddz1at.jpg

John-

Nice job on the paint. Looks great. I have something similar in mind, as I like to see the curve over the wing. Well done.

Excellent. I have always like paint schemes of this style on the SBS RVs. Very nice.

John,

This summer I'll be needing a painter. Why did you choose Trevor over others, besides proximity? His website is entirely focused on ragwings, which use completely different paint processes. What did he use on your -9A, and do you know the weight increase after coating? Lots of taping making your pretty paint scheme. How crisp are the edges?

John Siebold

Response: Background on Paint Job

Trevor use PPG products -
PPG DX533 Aluminum Etch and Conditioner
PPG DBC Base Color System w/DC4000 Clear Coat
PPG DP48LF White Epoxy Primer w/DP402 Catalyst

The plane was thoroughly washed and treated with alodine and acid etched. Trevor filled and contoured the wing tips and filled and block sanded all fiberglass fittings - fairings, wheel covers, wind screen frame and rear canopy skirt. Lines are clean and crisp. There was lots of taping. Getting the lines exactly how I wanted them took a lot of effort. Trevor spent a great deal of time working it out to my satisfaction.

I have not weighed the plane since painting, so I cannot address the question regarding additional weight. However, Trevor was very conscience of weight issues during the project.

Hope this helps.

John

John,

Trevor painted my rv6a as well as a local rv12. Everything that I've seen come out of his shop looks amazing. He's been painting for a long time and is quite familiar with prepping and painting aluminum and composites. I learned a few things working with him.

I've seen other photos of this plane, though I haven't seen it in person yet. I love the wingtip design! Looks great!

Paint added about 25lbs to my rv6a. I made a few other additions when we painted mine so I don't have an exact number.

John,

This summer I'll be needing a painter. Why did you choose Trevor over others, besides proximity? His website is entirely focused on ragwings, which use completely different paint processes. What did he use on your -9A, and do you know the weight increase after coating? Lots of taping making your pretty paint scheme. How crisp are the edges?

John Siebold

come to coffe

Looks Great! It is close to the same colors I used.
Why not fly down to 7S9 (Lenhardt's) some Friday morning for coffee?
Show off your handiwork!
Jim Frisbie
RV-9A

Back