What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

runway finder back online

C-FAH Q

Well Known Member
Maybe I missed it ......But Runway Finder is back online !
Congrats on finding a way back.

From Runwayfinder.com:

"RunwayFinder is back on the air! Thanks to your overwhelming support and some great communication sat down with FlightPrep and FlightPrep agreed to dismiss the lawsuit! The exact details of the settlement license are confidential. RunwayFinder doees not ask for or support any further boycott of FlightPrep, its services, products, or owners. This is a big win for RunwayFinder and the pilots who depend on its services! We're back and lawsuit free, come check out www.runwayfinder.com. Again, thanks you for all of your support."

Edit: Corrected website address.

Last edited by a moderator:
With a Patent Caveat

Maybe I missed it ......But Runway Finder is back online !
Congrats on finding a way back.

FlightPrep still managed to put their stamp on the website.

"Portions licensed by FlightPrep? U.S. Patent number 7,640,098."

Displaying all markers.

This is actually bad news

This will just continue to legitimize a poorly awarded patent instead of invalidating the patent all together. While I am happy for the users of runwayfinder, I am saddened that the patent still lives.

This is good news.

This will just continue to legitimize a poorly awarded patent instead of invalidating the patent all together. While I am happy for the users of runwayfinder, I am saddened that the patent still lives.

I agree that something should be done about the patent process and I would not be sad if FlightPrep went away, but this should not be Dave fight. I am glad to again have access to a quick way to do my flight planning.

Kent

Happy to see this, however whats done is done and I'll maintain my position of never supporting ASA or flightprep.

Great to have you back!

Dave,
Congratulation's, I will be one of the many to enjoy having your site back up! Thanks for the great product.
Flyinmonque

I'm glad RF is back up, but I'm not glad that he apparently accepted FlightPrep's "free license" offer.

My guess - the user community uproar

caused the settlement. Or maybe not; I'm just speculating. Although I am a transactional patent attorney (and former litigator).

I agree. It's still bullying in my books. I will not buy any FP products, or anything else the owners try to sell.

Bevan

So all of you who will continue to boycott FlightPrep... Will you be using RunwayFinder now that it's back? Just wondering, because RF is now a FP "affiliated" product.

Conflicted

I am a little conflicted on that. I contributed to the legal defense fund on the premise that they were going to fight the patent. As you will recall FP offered a license free of charge at the beginning of this whole ordeal.

One thing is for sure. I will continue to work against FlightPrep until they change their approach to this.

I can't know what went on behind closed doors between RF and FP, and I don't question RF's right to make decisions to their best benefit. I contributed to the legal fund so that FlightPrep would be stopped early. That didn't happen, and it feels like RF licensing from FP only serves to strengthen the FP claims.

RunwayFinder Demasculated?

I really missed RunwayFinder while Dave had it offline. Now it's back up but it doesn't seem the same. I realize the charts are not up-to-date and he needs some time to update them. That's on the PC. Route drawing and adding waypoints seem the same.

On the iPhone, RunwayFinder is "maps only" at this point. There is no window to insert origin and destination, so it is not very useful. In addition, from the Pilots'nPaws website, we used to be able to click on the "Use RunwayFinder to Map this Route" and it would automatically draw the map between origin and destination when RunwayFinder opened. Ain't happening now.

Just wondering if anyone else is noticing this...???

Great News!!

I'm another pilot that is GREATFUL RunwayFinder is back on line!!

Thanks.

Kenny Gene
RV7a 630 hrs
RV10 45 hrs

For what its worth, I walked past the Flightprep booth at Sun N Fun. Not a single person was talking to them. I also saw another vendor with a simillar name. They had a sign " We are not associated with the patent case issue" hanging on their display.

Last edited:
For what its worth, I walked past the Flightprep booth at Sun N Fun. Not a single person was talking to them.

I'd sure hate to be the guy manning that booth :eek:

With everybody walking by giving you the "stink eye", that must be tons of fun.

Exactly. Congrats Dave (and good for us for now), but I still spit on flightprep.

I agree that something should be done about the patent process and I would not be sad if FlightPrep went away, but this should not be Dave fight. I am glad to again have access to a quick way to do my flight planning.

Kent

You're so right, Kent. It's not Dave's fight, it's Googles. I wonder if they'll eventually do something about it.

Security Breach at Flight Prep

I just got an email from Flight Prep which was addressed to all Flight Prep Customers regarding a security breach of their system. They indicate it may possibly expose my name, email and password. I replied with a note that I don't remember ever being a customer and don't intent to in the future. I got an immediate response indicating my account would be removed from their system with a nasty little remark about my comment. They continue to dig their grave deeper.

Last edited:
I just got an email from Flight Prep which was addressed to all Flight Prep Customers regarding a security breach of their system. They indicate it may possibly expose my name, email and password. I replied with a note that I don't remember ever being a customer and don't intent to in the future. I got an immediate response indicating my account would be removed from their system with a nasty little remark about my comment. They continue to dig their grave deeper.

Got the same email. Responded asking to be removed from their system, as I do not intend to purchase their products because of their actions.

We'll see what they say.

If you have downloaded DUATS, their software is FlightPrep. I have DUATS on my computer. They gave that away free to try and get you to PAY for other stuff. About ready to DELETE DUATS and use Weathermeister.com only. I am finding that I really do not need DUATS as a backup. Weathermeister always works but there have been times that DUATS has not worked because their system was down.

I would post their letter BUT it has a Copyright notice at the bottom. By me posting it, I would only get myself and may Doug in trouble. I cannot afford to be sued. Actually I have very little for them to take but the hassle would not be worth it.

I would post their letter BUT it has a Copyright notice at the bottom. By me posting it, I would only get myself and may Doug in trouble. I cannot afford to be sued. Actually I have very little for them to take but the hassle would not be worth it.

Maximum bogosity. Copyrighting an email that says that your system has compromised your customers' personal data? I don't think so...

Post portions of their letter. That constitutes fair use. Mock their letter, that constitutes parody. All of which is covered (and allowed) by copyright law.

Mind you, there have been a half-dozen cases recently in the US where suits were brought on claiming an email "copyright notice" was violated. All have been thrown out.

Back