What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV10 WHEELS

Thor RV10

My RV10 has chewed up its third tube and cost me another passenger side main gear wheel pant. Does anyone have a suggestion regards to my Grove wheels? Should I go to MATCO? Any input is always appreciated. Thanks, Thor RV10 KAWO

My RV10 has chewed up its third tube and cost me another passenger side main gear wheel pant. Does anyone have a suggestion regards to my Grove wheels? Should I go to MATCO? Any input is always appreciated. Thanks, Thor RV10 KAWO

Why do you suspect the wheels are a contributing factor? Are you running adequate pressure on the tires and do you have the prescribed clearance between the tires and wheel pants?

yes, It has been maintained as far as the air pressure and wheel pants are not chaffing. I have been told that the Grove wheels are not working well for other RV10.

yes, It has been maintained as far as the air pressure and wheel pants are not chaffing. I have been told that the Grove wheels are not working well for other RV10.

What is the spacing between your tires and the wheel pants? You should be able t fit a finger between them.

Install Beringer tubeless rims and brakes

What about installing a brand new set of tubeless Beringer main rims and brakes? I installed on my Rv10 July 2016 and very happy I did. Not cheap, but quality is well worth it.

Kenny Gene
Wichita KS area
Rv7a AWC 9-07 690 hours sold 11-11
Rv10 AWC 10-10 743 hours

This sounds like you want to make a decision on rumors and not facts. What does "not working well" mean?

I have a hard time believing that a particular brand of wheel is the root cause of your tire issue. I suspect you have an issue that will cause the same symptoms no matter whose wheel you install. The opportunity you have is playing detective to figure out the real root cause.

Your just going to get speculations from folks here because we can't see what you see. I know folks that were troubleshooting wheel shimmy issues installed a gopro on the tie down to get video of their main gear.

If tires are shredding, something is causing that friction. You also mention that it's causing your pants to tear. Like Carl mentioned, the typical issue is under inflated tires. Another one is that something is loose and vibrating to cause contact. But these are simply my speculations.

You've got the hard part now to play detective. Good Luck!

My RV10 has chewed up its third tube

What do you mean by that? Did the tube fail or the tire?
The stock tubes loose air pretty quickly. Michelin Airstop tubes hold pressure much longer, but they are also a lot more expensive. Low pressure could make the tubes spin around and rip the stem out of the wheel.

Centrifugal force makes the tires slightly bigger, so give them some room to grow.

I don't know about Grove, but look into the Matco manual, they have a pretty detailed description of how to assemble the wheels properly.

Lenny

Thor McIlrath RV10 Wheel Question

Ok, I am getting the impression- which is in line with my own view in that Vans has all the right parts. When used correctly, they work great. I have been getting an earful from a guy at the airport that they are defective. I am going to cut holes in my wheel pants to be more vigilant regards to air pressure.

Thanks for your great advice here, I appreciate it. Thor

Definitely get good about keeping air pressure.

One or two winters ago, I didn't get around to topping off the tires for fall. I usually tried to fill them to 42 psi after the temps got down in the 30's and 40's. But then one year I missed doing it and I landed and spun the tire on the rim because of low pressure, ripping the valve stem right off the tube half way. It rolled fine to the taxiway, but that was IT.

So my new policy is that I filled to 48 psi or so, in the fall when the temps were in the 30's. This way when I'm flying at 0F or -10F and the pressure drops even further, I'm not getting way too low. And, I will NEVER miss another fall tire pressure top-off. I do them every spring, too, but then I don't over fill at all because the temps will only get hotter.
And, I generally end up checking them mid-season once or twice.

Oh, and as others already said, make sure your gap around the tire is good enough. If not, it's a good way to rip the wheel fairing.

Rv-10 flats

Guys, put doors about 4" square on your main gear pants so you can get your hand in there to manage the valve stem cap and to put air in your tires. I also run my air higher than most to keep the tires from wearing on the outside.
Works great!

Back