What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sub Panel Alteration

T.O.Craig

Well Known Member
Howdy to All,
Getting ready to penetrate the sub-panel behind the main panel... I thought that there was a section in our plans that identified methods of opening the area up for a wiring pass thru.. but I can't find them. How much can that be altered? Is that sub-panel structural? I have not contacted Vans yet.

Thanks

Yes, there definitely is a section that tells you the maximum size holes without reinforcement and how to reinforce larger cutouts. It's in the section on the upper front fuselage - can't say exactly where as I don't have the plans to hand.

The ribs are structural and according to VANS should not be modified - however, plenty of people seem to do it and add reinforcement. With modern EFIS, it probably shouldn't be necessary.

I'm making a cardboard mockup of the panel so I can determine what area needs to be altered. My biggest issues are the GNT750 and my second nav/com. They both have about an 11" penetration. Stein is making our panel, but before I give the OK, I want to be comfortable with the location of the components

Thanks for the help

I'm making a cardboard mockup of the panel so I can determine what area needs to be altered. My biggest issues are the GNT750 and my second nav/com. They both have about an 11" penetration. Stein is making our panel, but before I give the OK, I want to be comfortable with the location of the components

Thanks for the help

I would suggest making that mock up out of plexiglass. Makes it much easier to visualize what is going on behind the panel, to make sure you don't have components interfering with one another

Thanks,
Had not thought about using plexiglass, but an interesting idea.. I'm using Geoffs dual 10" panel and the radio stack has a 1" tilt towards the pilot. I'm thinking that the second radio and GTN750 are critical with there position.

I'll try cardboard first, thinking that building in the tilt might be easier. I how have all the dimensions needed to make component mock-ups also...

Thanks again to all!

Back