What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tucson day trips

N15JB

Well Known Member
We have relocated our -10 to Marana, KAVQ, for the next 6 months, and are looking for recommendations for day trips; anything involving airplanes or food works for us. Thanks.

Sorry...not a day trip in the RV....but by car you need to go to Lil'Abners Steak House out on Silverbell.

Hi Jim, A short list of what some of us have done out of KDVT.
Eloy-enjoy watching the jumpers from the restaurant, cheap fuel
Kearny- walk to town for food then fly north a few minutes over the huge copper mine
Sedona- take your camera, if you land there, good food, walk over to the look out while there
Payson-nice little airport, scenic flight, good food
Seligman-nice flight over the Prescott valley short walk into town good food
Chandler- good food
Many more places as well. I?m sure others will chime in

I second payson, great little airport. Also the Grand Canyon is nice too. Cheap cab ride into the park.

1. Fly to Las Cruces Airport. Car/taxi to La Posta Mexican restaurant in cute small town Mesilla south of I-10. Nine miles or approx 13 minutes. Established 1939. Dad would stop there ferrying a/c during WWII.

http://www.laposta-de-mesilla.com/

2. Do a low approach to Pinal County Airport and check out the airline boneyard on the way north to Glendale Airport west of Phoenix for lunch. Used to have a pretty good restaurant years ago.

3. Scenic flight south along I-19, hang left just before Nogales/Mexican border and fly up the valley over Patagonia (home of Performance Propellers) and on to Sonoita.

Winslow and Flagstaff

Add Winslow to your list.

You can stand on the corner. My pic -

winslow.png

The reflection of the "girl in the flat bed Ford" is painted on the window. :)

Eat and/or stay at the restored La Posada RR Hotel and use the airport designed by Lindberg - When it was built, it was the only all-weather airport between Albuquerque, New Mexico and Los Angeles, California.

We also enjoy Flagstaff, a cheap ride into town and an easy walk from downtown to the Lowell Observatory, where Pluto was discovered. If you are there on the right night they "let you have a go" and look at Mars through the 24 inch refractor telescope built in 1984 - oops 1894.

Friendly FBOs at both places.

Last edited:
Pinal Airpark

2. Do a low approach to Pinal County Airport and check out the airline boneyard on the way north to Glendale Airport west of Phoenix for lunch. Used to have a pretty good restaurant years ago.

Mix in with the black helicopters there and do some touch-n-goes - it's a public airport. :)

ADDED

Something new that most of the locals (including me) don't even know about. Tours of the Pinal boneyard are now available -

http://www.azcentral.com/story/trav.../70499204/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

Last edited:
RV10 permanently based at Tucson International

All of those are great suggestions. I have done many of them. we have a large group of RV's at Marana, nearby Ryan airport, and Tucson Int.

if you would like we do occasional RV breakfast flights you could join us on. call me if you are interested. 520-247-6232

I have an RV10 that is based at Tucson. i would love to see your plane.

hope to hear from you

Davis Monthan museum and boneyard is a must.

I made my first solo at Ryan Field quite a few years ago and they had a great restaurant then. I imagine they still do.

Last edited:
All of those are great suggestions. I have done many of them. we have a large group of RV's at Marana, nearby Ryan airport, and Tucson Int.

Alan, Marana used to be the hot bed of RV activity in the late 80's and 90's. Every time I go out there now it is dead. How many RV's are based there? My old RV-4 is out there somewhere collecting dust.

Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions; they should keep us busy for awhile. Allan, I will give you a call re breakfast flights.

We have relocated our -10 to Marana, KAVQ, for the next 6 months, and are looking for recommendations for day trips; anything involving airplanes or food works for us. Thanks.

The Desert museum in Tucson. Definitely climb Picacho Peak while you're there. Davis Monthan aircraft storage facility too. Also Pinnacle Peaks along with Lil' Abner's for steaks cooked over mesquite wood-yummy. Some of the best steaks ever.

Back