What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glide Slope Antenna Question

BlackhawkSP

Well Known Member
Hi RV-10 Guys:

Has anyone here done the stripped coax method antenna for the glide slope antenna on a 10? I have one inside the gear leg fairing on my 8 that has worked fine, but wondered if anyone has done it in a 10, and if so, did it work OK.

I have one mounted to the engine cowl. Just epoxied the stripped coax to a horizontal piece of plastic and then epoxied the plastic to the engine cowl in front of the carburetor. Works great! I'm picking up a GS signal >17NM away even after running it through a GS splitter. The needle is solid. No interference from the prop. Installed a bnc connector next to the firewall, that can be reached with the upper cowling removed, that has to be disconnected to remove the lower cowl. I was nervous about putting it in the gear leg due to the vertical plane. In my initial testing I held the antenna assembly in my hand in the cockpit. If I rotated it vertically, it started degrading the signal at about a 45 degree angle. It also didn't work well laying on top of the instrument panel.

RV-10
GNS 430/KX-155

GS Antenna Question

This doesn't directly answer your question but many of us use a Bob Archer VOR antenna in the wing tip with a splitter for the GS input. Works great.

More info please?

What is a stripped coax antenna? Is there a thread on how to make this, length and what not? It sounds like you are making an antenna from a length of coax?

Thanks,

Jim

Search ...

glideslope antenna and ironflight

You will find how Paul did it. I copied his method for my -7, with the coax run up the forward right side of the roll bar (slider). Works great!

Best,

Merrill

glideslope antenna and ironflight

You will find how Paul did it. I copied his method for my -7, with the coax run up the forward right side of the roll bar (slider). Works great!

Best,

Merrill

What is ironic is that if you search that exact phrase the sole thread that comes up is this one. :D

I haven't been able to find a thread where the particular method is described in detail.

Two ways

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

(1) On the Search form, enter Glideslope Antenna in the Key Words box, and enter Ironflight in the User name box. Look for the thread Antenna Musings. Check post #22.

Having said that,

(2) just enter Antenna Musings in the Key Words box, go to Post #22

Best,

Merrill

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

(1) On the Search form, enter Glideslope Antenna in the Key Words box, and enter Ironflight in the User name box. Look for the thread Antenna Musings. Check post #22.

Having said that,

(2) just enter Antenna Musings in the Key Words box, go to Post #22

Best,

Merrill

Thank you!

Back