What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aft fuse access plate over or under fairing?

A5555

Well Known Member
I placed the aft fuse access plate over the fairing thinking it could prevent elevator binding if the fairing was over the plate and the fairing fasteners were to become missing. Also a plus is less fasteners to install but the access plate has a slight gap at the aft edge where it rides over the fairing. What technique could I use to contour the access panel over the fairing with simple tools?

100_5502.jpg

100_5503.jpg

Steve,

On my 7, the fairing is over the cover and it lays very flat. Don't recall what the plans call for but it looks natural!

Yep ... panel slides up under the fairing ...

... I just made sure I could remove the access panel w/o having to remove any fairing screws. Works fine.

My fairings are also over and looks very clean. Also, all screws are flush. The ones in the forward aluminum fairing are drilled and tapped into longeron. I used #6. I did not use the rubber gap seal as I have about 1/32 to 1/16 clearance to the horizontal stabilizer skin.

You could make a joggle strip and with a vice, nicely put a joggle into the cover, if you don't take someone else's advice to put the fairing outside.

Or alternatively, glass a small joggle into the fairing. This would be easy and quick.

Either would work. I'd prefer the joggle in the fairing to making a joggle in the cover.

Dave

I like it.

I can't promise I'll do it before first flight but that's the solution for me. Very nice. thx

Back