What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why wait til' spring? We're building a plane here.

Paul Tuttle

Well Known Member
We transported my fuselage to the airport last September 16th and I was hoping to make some progress before Our Canadian winter set in. I ended up working nearly every day off through the winter ( I only work 8 days a month :D) taking a break at Christmas and for a few other obligations. There were days when it was -20 C inside the less then airtight hangar. We have a little building that we could warm up in and grab a coffee, but I ain't gonna lie to ya, it was cold. A lot of people told me I was nuts, but I already knew that.

As I step back and look at what was accomplished over the winter months, I'm glad I kept at it. There's not a lot left to do and it's nearly ready for the MDRA inspection. Had I waited until spring, I sure it would be mid summer before it was ready to go. I'm feeling pretty good about the whole thing.

Unloading at the airport September 16, 2012

55044936261602714894915.jpg

Taken March 05, 2013.

0016dy.jpg

0173iy.jpg

Last edited:
Very very nice Paul, cannot wait to see it in person. I'm sure you won't have any problem with Wayne, he's a nice guy. We are lucky to have him.
Ron

That rocks, Paul ! Good job!

I'm hoping to make it down for the labour day fly in the -8 this year, so hopefully I can get a closer look then.

Beautiful

When your fingers thaw out enough, give yourself a pat on the back.

Looks great and we all know how much you will love it.

Paul, High quality paint job and scheme. Would you be open to sharing the paint code for the "grey" that you used?

Thanks

Paul's RV-8

Hey buddy as you know been following your progress all the way.

Congrats again on a wonderful job and look forward to following your progress the rest of the year.

Your future wingman.

Paul, High quality paint job and scheme. Would you be open to sharing the paint code for the "grey" that you used?

Thanks

Kevin,

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm at work today. I'll get the paint info and send you a PM tomorrow.

The paint is Nason and it orange peeled more then I am happy with, probably due to a number of human factors. I color sanded and buffed some parts and they turned out pretty well. I'm going to pick away at the rest of it over time.

now that's a classic!

A real timeless graphic on there, with homage to the mustang 2's of yesteryear....with the little lightning bolt variation...very nice!
Did you cook that up yourself?
I wonder if you considered doing the grey on the top of the cowl in a 'flat' finish? you sseem to have the visible area nicely laid out.....harder to keep clean, but I'm sure if you wanted you could spray a matte clear on it later should that tickle your fancy ( nah, you'll be too busy flying' the heck out of it! :)
looks like Scova Notia is nice 'n flat, perfect for all that test flying!

Some guys are just lucky...even your initials/registration are easy to say (phoentically. )

( Hmm, for me..... I wonder if golf - pappa alpha yankee is taken??)

Nice Job Paul

:)It looks fantastic Paul,

I'm glad to see that it's comming together for you! I wish that I still lived out there so that I could see it in person. That paint scheme and panel both look awesome.

Steve Wolfe
RV7 Slow build :eek:

Back