What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: An easier way to install the control sticks in a RV-7

ao.frog

Well Known Member
Hi.

This mod is probably shown before here in the forum, but it didn't show up in search, and I haven't seen it mentioned in a while.

We did this mod today so I took a few pics and wanted to share them.

I got the idea from my first -7, which I bought partly completed from a US-builder. This builder had done this mod on the kit I bought from him, and I liked it alot, so I copied it on the -7 I'm building now.

The thing is that on the side-by-side RV's, it can be difficult to install all the hardware in the lower part of the control-stick assembly. It's much easier to install the hardware on the workbench and then put the stick-assy in place in one piece.

The kit comes with two seat rib access plates, F-716B, DWG 22, but if you make another two access ribs, the stick assy goes into place in one piece.

Here's how it looks with all the access ribs "closed":

And here they are all open:

As you can see, now the stick assy can be put into place in one piece.

The only thing you have to do, is to make two of these, the F-716B:

Then cut out a portion of the seat rib, shown on DWG 22, rivet that portion together with the parts you just made, and install.

It's easy to do because you just copy the access plates which already are there, and even the holes you need to use are prepunched.

Ofcourse there is some hardware you have to install after the stick-assy are in place; the elevator push rod connection for example, but at least this method makes the stick install task alittle bit easier.

I'd think this metod can be used on other side-by-side RV's too?

Last edited:
You might want to check with Van's on this. They might like more that one attach point on each end.

I have...

..... checked with Vans, and here's Gus's reply:

Alf,

Looks OK to me - all you've done is add the two split ribs shown on dwg 22
to two more (that's a lot of 2s). Since it's OK on the inboard ribs, I don't see
a problem with doing it on the others. Not sure you gain much, the easier
stick install is offset by the extra work on the ribs....

Gus

This is a better approach ...

While there's certainly work involved in opening the additional two ribs, that's easier than putting in those teeny AN3 "pivot washers" after the control assembly is dropped in place. The ones toward the bottom were an incredible pain to get install. There were a lot of bad words uttered in my garage during that part of the process.:mad:

Back