What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Motivation: flying beats working

hydroguy2

Well Known Member
Winter is setting in, so nice days are not to be squandered. After coffee with the airport bums, I decided to head a few miles south and visit a friend. When I left Three Forks I followed the river home, here's a shot of open water downstream from my Dam work place.
aviation2011180.jpg

got closer to town but didn't want to go home just yet, so north along the east shore of Canyon Ferry. The Big Belt mountains were looking fresh today
aviation2011181.jpg

I always like the ice formations, so came back along the lake shore
aviation2011184.jpg

Smooth
aviation2011188.jpg

Note to self: If you plan on riding off into the sunset....bring your sunglasses when low over the ice.
aviation2011187.jpg

Second that!!!

I was working in Shanghai over Thanksgiving. My company told me that I had to take two holidays before the end of the year to make up for the two I worked over Thanksgiving. So today I took an "Aviation Day".

I left at 8 am for the airport. I got there and putzed with the -4 a bit. Then at 10 a friend flew his son down to give me my Flight Review. We spent an hour on the ground portion, then four of us hopped in a couple planes and flew 15 minutes to an airport for lunch. We spent an hour at the airport diner telling lies and stories and generally harassing the waitress.

We then headed towards the Dreamland Squadron hangar. On the way we flew to a couple of airports for T&G's, some turns, emergency procedures (this WAS the flight portion of the flight review), then landed and spent 30 minutes at the Squadron telling MORE lies and stories!!!

I got back to my hangar at about 4 pm, flight review in the log book, 1.5 hours in the air, my belly full of BBQ pork and french fries, a huge RV grin, and the warm feelings of spending time with like-minded friends.

I'll take a day like this over working ANYTIME!! :)

Beautiful shots

Drove through Townsend a couple of times last week on a business trip (including past the airport in Townsend.) You're lucky to live in such a beautiful state. The drive from Helena to Billings last Tuesday in that severe clear wx left me wishing I was flying. Breathtaking to this Florida boy. Next time I'll look you up.

I'm usually around if I have notice, stop on by.

Helena to Billings driving 3.5hrs or KHLN to KBIL via RV-7 ~50 minutes:D

Bird Strike

Yesterday on my way to 3U9, I was putzing along at 800agl, 160mph enjoying the day. I was looking at something off my 9 o'clock, when I looked back forward I got a flashes of something small & black whizzing past. Whoa, that was close I almost hit a bird or two. A quick visual after landing at Three Forks didn't show anything.

Did a quick attitude adjustment flight(0.3hr) again today with no excitement other than snow. My post flight inspection, I see a red scuff on the top of the wing. Then I see a little pile of feathers and guts stuck to the HS. No damage that couldn't be wiped off with a damp towel. But I never saw or heard anything today, so think it happened on landing. Seems these little birds like to hang around the runway this time of year, well one less now.

IMG_20111214_124317.jpg

Back