What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A public thank you

Don

Well Known Member
Over the years I've been a member hear I've seen a lot of posts about the generosity of the RV community and what a great bunch of people they are. I've experienced myself a few times, too. Last week though Vlad stopped for a visit on his way to Triple Tree and Tennessee. He arrived early enough so I could add to my RV-9A time as I slowly finish my plane. We had tried flying together back in April but the weather cut our efforts short. Vlad, being the kind of person this board likes to talk about, wanted to come back and let me really fly his plane and see if he couldn't encourage me to finish my plane.

Normally you'd think 30 minutes or an hour would be generous. Vlad's comment was, lets use all the fuel in the tanks (with reserves, of course). We departed KOFP (just north of Richmond, VA), he gave me the controls and explored Lake Anna for a bit when I asked him if he remembered Bob Martin from this board. I told him Bob was based nearby so he let me do a low pass at Louisa and I was able to see Bob's hanger was open and just seconds later Bob was greeting us on the radio. Vlad let me actually land the plane, which revealed both generosity and trust.

After chatting with Bob and his friends for 20 minutes, Vlad talked Bob into going flying with us (and no, it wasn't a difficult task - Bob just needed an excuse). So we headed west, crossed the Blue Ridge, navigated between the Blue Ridge and the Massanutten mountains for a bit. The photo below was taken by Bob of Vlad and I as we were passing south of Charlottesville. After we crossed the Blue Ridge we'd planned to go further north but the weather was changing and clouds were just starting to obscure our way back over the mountains. So we turned east with Bob pointing out sights for us. Bob turned south for Louisa and Vlad and I kept heading east before eventually turning generally south for a touch and go at Blackstone (BKT). I work at the community college there and thought it would be fun to do a T&G with a Ruskie friend on a joint use (military-civilian) airport. My second RV landing.

We'd been dodging clouds most of the afternoon and Vlad suggested climbing to 4,500' to get over the clouds, and RIC's air space. The fuel gauges were showing that we needed to make a stop so we went off to KXSA, my home base, for "cheaper" fuel. It was time to learn more about the 9A - on my first approach I didn't slow down enough and we'd have landed mid field unless I did a slip. I chose to do a go around (more flying time and more time to learn to do it right). So this time I flew the last bit of down wind and base at 70 kts and final at 60 kts and made a respectable landing.

We filled the tanks and headed back to KOFP (Hanover) at near gross weight. Vlad was sure there'd be another go around as the 9A handles differently at gross weight vs empty tanks. It wasn't my inclination to do a go around - I wanted to show my gratitude for Vlad's great instruction on how to handle the 9. The plane was easy to stabilize at 60 kts on final and I swear the plane felt like it landed itself.

All told Vlad gave me 3.2 hours of RV time and 4 landings and lots of great advice on how to fly. Priceless.

Thanks Vlad!

Vlad-Don1_web.jpg

Last edited:
WOW! Hey Vlad, Want to come to Michigan :D

In all honesty, what a gentleman. The true RV spirit.

(Not to hijack this thread but does anyone else think it about time for Vald to paint that thing? Should we start a design contest :eek: )

WOW! Hey Vlad, Want to come to Michigan :D

In all honesty, what a gentleman. The true RV spirit.

(Not to hijack this thread but does anyone else think it about time for Vald to paint that thing? Should we start a design contest :eek: )

... or maybe pass the VAF cap around for donations? ;)

I have to thank Vlad myself also as he stopped by my part of the world on his way back home. We spent 1.5 hours yesterday flying to/from lunch and had a great conversation.

As with yourself he handed me the controls and said its "your" plane before we ever took off. Being new to the RV world, I feel very fortunate to have had that chance.

I have thanked him in private a few times but he deserves a much deserved public thanks also.

I did figure out how to keep a Russian from drinking alcholol, we had lunch in a dry county. :eek:

Yes, Vlad is a class act.

I think Van needs to come out with a new series of airplanes - the "P" series. The parts come pre-painted white with white rivets and you just add decals :D

Don you are skilled flyer and my older cousin. I am not sure who benefited more you or I? I had a blast. In professional aviation they call it to pay forward. Speed up the finishing of your project or activate Plan B I developed for you :D

Jeff thanks for bringing me to the Rough River State Park. Nice place, cool Bible Belt restaurant :) I'll be back.

VLAD

Don,
WOW.......that picture looks good. Seems you cropped it too...;)
You and Vlad dropping in to visit was the perfect ending to an aready good day at the airport and a good break from working on planes to flying RV's! It was good to meet Vlad again on my home turf as I didn't get to see him much at the Suffolk Fly-in. I logged 1 hour on the hobbs meter on our local sight seeing flight and slipping between the puffy clouds and the low mountain tops really gave Vlad a great view of the Virginia landscape. Now I see now why the KGB requested the photo's from the flight!! :D Looking forward to a return visit.

Vlad - is the man!!

Vlad sure is a class act - one way to pay him back is to finish that -9 and start inspiring others to finish and fly their airplanes!!:) Great write up - very inspiring.... Hey Vlad, when are you coming to Texas?

snip...
Over the years I've been a member hear I've seen a lot of posts about the generosity of the RV community and what a great bunch of people they are. I've experienced myself a few times, too. Last week though Vlad stopped for a visit on his way to Triple Tree and Tennessee. He arrived early enough so I could add to my RV-9A time as I slowly finish my plane. We had tried flying together back in April but the weather cut our efforts short. Vlad, being the kind of person this board likes to talk about, wanted to come back and let me really fly his plane and see if he couldn't encourage me to finish my plane....

Don't paint it Vlad, just fly it! Great job Guys. I'm at KPWC if you come to MN, red hangar south end of the runway.

Jim

"Opiate For the masses" Vlad, remember?:p. See you in FLorida soon???

Mannan, we will discuss the topic around S-n-F 2013 at your place :D A Theology Professor Cousin will consult me :D

Don,
WOW.......that picture looks good. Seems you cropped it too...;)
You and Vlad dropping in to visit was the perfect ending to an aready good day at the airport and a good break from working on planes to flying RV's! It was good to meet Vlad again on my home turf as I didn't get to see him much at the Suffolk Fly-in. I logged 1 hour on the hobbs meter on our local sight seeing flight and slipping between the puffy clouds and the low mountain tops really gave Vlad a great view of the Virginia landscape. Now I see now why the KGB requested the photo's from the flight!! :D Looking forward to a return visit.

Bob, enjoyed my brief visit to your hangar. Your fridge took a hit replenish it we will be BAAAACK. Thanks for excursion through Shenandoah Valley great spots there. Don finally nailed the speed for proper separation. If you have that wood prop for sale I have a customer for you :D

Vlad sure is a class act - one way to pay him back is to finish that -9 and start inspiring others to finish and fly their airplanes!!:) Great write up - very inspiring.... Hey Vlad, when are you coming to Texas?

snip...

Jim I might stop by Jay Pratt mid Oct stay tuned.

Don't paint it Vlad, just fly it! Great job Guys. I'm at KPWC if you come to MN, red hangar south end of the runway.

Jim

Jim did they tell you not to disclose your location to Russians? Sounds like perfect fuel stop next June westbound. Do you have mogas on the field?

Picture1.jpg

Mogas at Breezy Pt 10 miles SE. Not easy but we can make it work. We have 100 ll at the red hangar. Look for the big lake and then the red hangar 30 miles NW. Place to stay and good food! Cell. 218-380-3784.

Jim

Paint Scheme

Jim

He can't paint it, I already have the Russian paint scheme.

IMG_1193 by mannanj, on Flickr

Vlad, if you come down to see Turbo, you pass right over the airport where I'm based. (X59)

Last edited:
Great pictures!

Hey Vlad, I think my dad and I met you in Rangeley, ME last month. You had just arrived and tying down. PM me if you want, I don't want to sidetrack this thread.

Rich

Great pictures!

Hey Vlad, I think my dad and I met you in Rangeley, ME last month. You had just arrived and tying down. PM me if you want, I don't want to sidetrack this thread.

Rich

Sidetrack it Rich I know the OP well he won't object. Were you with CBP or was it the other day? I've been to Rangeley multiple times and I have a base there. Ever heard of VAF Bungalow?

Sidetrack it Rich I know the OP well he won't object. Were you with CBP or was it the other day? I've been to Rangeley multiple times and I have a base there. Ever heard of VAF Bungalow?
It was back in August, we pulled up on the ramp in front you in my red Ford. I haven't heard of the VAF Bungalow, I take it one of you guys have a vacation home up here? It's a beautiful place huh?

Here's a bit of irony for you..... I saw you in Rangeley that day, then when I went home I was thumbing through July's SportAviation and saw the article on your build. I called my dad and we got a chuckle out of it. Fast forward to today and I've made contact with you here. :D Very cool! It sure is a small world.

I don't own an airplane but my life has been surrounded with them. My dad has an unbuilt Pitts S-1 in his barn, and had a Super Cub on floats until he lost his medical and sold it a few years ago. Were planning on building an -8 here in the near future. Hopefully we'll get a start this winter.

Next time your up let me know. I'm sure my dad and I would like to get together with you and talk RV's and flying.

Here's a pic of the Super Cub N24449
N24449_Amphibs.jpg

Back