What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Door Hinge Chrome Plating

Well Known Member
I could have sworn that I once saw a thread here about chrome plating the door hinges to help with appearance/corrosion issues, but I can't find it at all now.

Has anyone here sent their door hinges out for plating? Are there any issues with doing so? I'm nowhere near fitting the doors yet but thinking ahead. I've seen some RV-10s with hinges that look a little rough, to be honest.

covered

I made SS cover plates for mine...not that anyone can see them unless they climb on the wing with the doors closed and look...

Chrome plating requires that the parts be baked immediately after plating to avoid hydrogen embrittlement. Without that, they could succumb to premature failure.

Dave

Chrome plating requires that the parts be baked immediately after plating to avoid hydrogen embrittlement. Without that, they could succumb to premature failure.

Dave

Thanks, I'll ask any potential plating shops how they post treat their work. I appreciate the heads up--I didn't know that was a side effect of the process.

Thanks, I'll ask any potential plating shops how they post treat their work. I appreciate the heads up--I didn't know that was a side effect of the process.

I think that was a thread I started. I passed on chrome plating because of the hydrogen embrittlement issue. In talking to the local shops, I didn't get solid enough answers to convince me they really knew how to prevent it.

I had my hinges powder coated (which is a whole other kettle of fish), but they look good.

We tapped the hinges for securing screws, cad plated and then made stainless cover plates..

Hinges were baked after plating to de-embrittle

Attachments

• Hinges_Plated.jpg
    Hinges_Plated.jpg
    477.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Hinge_Covers.jpg
    Hinge_Covers.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 182
I had my aluminum spinner chrome plated and after about 40 hours of flying, it started hairline cracks so I remove it. The same type/made spinner without chrome plate on my plane had over 120 hours without any issues.

Back