What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skytech Starter, XLT or Flyweight?

moespeeds

Well Known Member
Friend
I've got an IO-360 with what looks to be a Skytech XLT starter.

When I look at the ACS catalog, I see there is an XLT and a "Flyweight" model.

What's the difference? I'm not too concerned about weight, more concerned about what gives me maximum cranking beef. This is part of an upgrade to an EarthX battery.

I wanted to go B&C but they say it will not fit my application based on photos I sent them.

Attachments

• PXL_20210624_161146445.jpg
    PXL_20210624_161146445.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 83
  • PXL_20210807_185035884.jpg
    PXL_20210807_185035884.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
B&C starter fitment

I’m glad B&C is acknowledging the fitment issues with the forward facing horizontal sumps. I ended up with a new B&C starter that I swapped out to a SkyTec to solve a buddy’s problem on a new build. When I talked to B&C they said they were unaware of this issue.
As to which SkyTec stater you have if you remove the snorkel you should be able to see the data plate of the starter. SkyTec has made/changed a bunch of different models before they were bought out by Hartzell.

If it came with the engine, it's probably a Sky-Tec LS. Why not just keep it for now and see how it works with your new EarthX battery?

The common failure point of these is the solenoid, which is easily replaced. It's a Ford PMGR starter with a Lyc nose casting, so get a solenoid for a 2000 Crown Vic. You can search this forum and find dozens of posts about these solenoids....

FWIW, I have a B&C and the snorkel.
The B&C being bigger, I had to modify the snorkel (cut out the interfering part and reglass).
I understand many here have done the same.
I can post photos if wished.

Turns out I have the XLT, and Sky-Tec says I should be using the LS.

I ordered an LS only because ACS had them in stock. B&C is backordered until April.

I'll replace the solenoid as well and report back.

Thanks guys

B&C Injector interference

“FWIW, I have a B&C and the snorkel.“

The B&C starter interferes with the injector on the horizontal sumps. I built an IO-360-A1B6 with the factory sump and an RSA-5 Injector and the servo and starter were competing for the same space. Impossible to fit. Curious how you made it work....grinding on the injector maybe ? We switched to the SkyTec LS and it solved the problem.

Last edited:
“FWIW, I have a B&C and the snorkel.“

The B&C starter interferes with the injector on the horizontal sumps. I built an IO-360-A1B6 with the factory sump and an RSA-5 Injector and the servo and starter were competing for the same space. Impossible to fit. Curious how you made it work....grinding on the injector maybe ? We switched to the SkyTec LS and it solved the problem.

I have a Superior Cold Sump and System32 EFII Throttle Body.
I had only to deal with interference from the B&C.

I can't say if it's the Superior sump that makes the difference???

Attachments

• IMG_6760.jpg
    IMG_6760.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6802.jpg
    IMG_6802.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6797.jpg
    IMG_6797.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_6798.jpg
    IMG_6798.jpg