What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First GoPro Video

YellowPeril

Well Known Member
Was fooling around with brand new GoPro camera on Saturday, trying to figure out different settings, etc.. Downloaded the results, stitched it together using the (free) GoPro editing software, and came out with something kinda nice if you ask me.

Might serve as inspiration to keep pounding rivets.

http://vimeo.com/82912884

To give credit where credit is due, one of the usual suspects at the airport donated the camera to all of us to see what we could do with it. He spent his entire career working at Kodak, so he knows about cameras even though he retired in 1982.

Before he worked for Kodak he did a stint working for the government.

Thanks Mac!

14nvxj.jpg

Great first video... keep em coming...

Nice video. Looks like you were having fun. I agree with the statement above, I liked the part where you pass the slow flying Cessna. Well done.

GoPro video question

That was outstanding video and it sure looked cold out! It was 80 degrees here in SoCal on Saturday.

I just got a GoPro and have started to use it while flying. Tried too edit my first video using the GoPro software. Does it take as long or longer to
"decompress" the video prior to editing than the length of the clip itself, or am I doing something wrong??

Dabney, it took quite a while to perform that last step of compressing the video to the desired format. I tried several formats, and they all took a long time.

It was warmer than it has been around here (high 20s), but we just had an ice storm a few days earlier (took the power out for three days) and today it's 7...good day to fool with a computer...

Good Job!

Happy New Year Nick! Very pleasant Video,I really enjoy cold weather flying,nice dense air. Excellent choice in music.I miss hanging out with you at Oswego,heck I think we all miss Oswego!
RHill

kudos, and some questions

Great video, especially well-chosen music.

At takeoff and climbout, I wondered how you created the stark beauty of "black and white" with the GoPro... until I realized it was recorded in color.;)

Can you share details on the closing, i.e. Mac, the aircraft and mission in his picture (airmail delivery?), and the kiwi roundel?

thanks!

Esco:

I met Don "Mac" McKibben about 15 or 16 years ago at a meeting of our local EAA Chapter (87) located here in Bowdoinham, Maine. The topic being discussed was some trivial details regarding some upcoming fly-in event, and there was some heated discussion regarding the colors of the t-shirts or something dumb like that.

"I need a drink." I muttered to myself, and this older gentleman sitting next to me who I didn't know elbowed me in the ribs.

"Do you like Martinis?"

I'd never had a Martini in my life. So I said, "Yeah!"

"Do you like Jazz Music?"

"Sure!"

"Then lets get out of here," the gentleman said, "I live just down the road."

In ten minutes I was leaning against the mantlepiece in his living room while Don (we'd by then introduced ourselves) was mixing drinks in the kitchen. The room was devoid of any aviation-related knick-knacks with the exception of a small metal scale-model of a North American P-51C (or B) Mustang on the mantlepiece.

Don presented me with my inaugural Martini, "They're a special recipe," he said, "I call 'em Silver Bullets."

I took a sip and my mouth made an involuntary O-shape, "Fifty caliber, I'd say."

"Yep," Don chuckled, "You're only allowed to have two."

"Why is that?"

"If you have a third, you'll discover that you have opinions that you didn't know you had before, and you won't mind sharing them...at the top of your lungs...and then I'll have to throw you out."

"Hm." I frowned at my drink and changed the subject. I remarked on the model P-51 he had on the mantlepiece, and the fact that it was the earlier design, before the more recognizable bubble canopy D-model came onto the scene. I continued on about the various differences between the C/B models and the ubiquitous D model, and Don nodded enthusiastically and presently made us another round of drinks.

"Here," he said, handing me the glass. "Follow me. I've got something in my office you might like to see."

I followed him into is office, wall-to-walled with all kinds of mementos of his service with the USAAF, and instantly realized I had just spent the last twenty minutes telling Don about his own airplane, "Miss Lace".

I also realized instantly that this was a guy with a sense of humor that I could appreciate, and we've been fast friends ever since.

Don learned how to fly through the federal CPT program and soloed in a J-3 in 1940. Everyone knew the war was coming and Don had (and still has) a burning passion for flight. During the Battle of Britain he decided that he couldn't wait, and made arrangements to join the RCAF in Toronto.

He had his train tickets, and his scheduled date for induction was December 8, 1941. History intervened the day before, and, as he'll tell you, "There went my chance to fly a Spitfire."

The US Army made him a pilot, and he was assigned as one of the original members of the 21st FS (soon to be redesignated the 486th FS) of the 352nd FG, who would become known as "The Bluenosers".

They started with and deployed to England in Republic P-47s, and transitioned to P-51s in 1944. Since Don was one of the original members of the squadron, and not a replacement pilot, he was assigned his own aircraft from the start, designated "PZ-Y".

Don lost his P-47 "Sneezy" (after one of the seven dwarves - "Not my idea!", Don will protest) in a three-way midair collision in IMC at about 3,000 feet agl.

(Yep. Read that last sentence again. They're still digging chunks of "Sneezy" out of the backyard of the house that it crashed into, and he's got a few chunks in his personal collection.

"Miss Lace" was a character in Milt Coniff's cartoon strip "Male Call", and apparently the likeness to the lovely supine damsel was good enough that many enlisted personnel in the Group had their photos taken with her.

"Miss Lace" was destroyed when it collided with an Bf-109 that Frank Cutler (another one of the original members of the 486th) was chasing. Frank was assigned to Don's aircraft that day, and seventy years later, Don's still a little sore at Frank.

If you want to learn more, just Google it.

At 92, Don's still sharp, funny, erudite and has two Silver Bullets commencing daily at 5PM.

This past summer five aircraft from our airport in Wiscasset, Maine brought Don to the big show in Oshkosh (stopping off in Hornell, where he soloed 73 years ago), and if you were there you might have heard him speak during the presentations in Warbird Alley.

The Roundrel? You'll have to look up the ICAO identifier for Wiscasset...

I hear there's another organization that uses the same trademark....must let our lawyers know about that...:D

Super smooth landing. I didn't see the camera bounce at all.

what was that long stretch there , it looked like maybe a turf runway leading up to a house? is that your place?

Hey Nick,

Great video and great story, thanks for sharing both. Haven't seen you in a long time......stop in if you ever get down this way :).

Esco:

I met Don "Mac" McKibben about 15 or 16 years ago at a meeting of our local EAA Chapter (87) located here in Bowdoinham, Maine. The topic being discussed was some trivial details regarding some upcoming fly-in event, and there was some heated discussion regarding the colors of the t-shirts or something dumb like that.

At 92, Don's still sharp, funny, erudite and has two Silver Bullets commencing daily at 5PM.

This past summer five aircraft from our airport in Wiscasset, Maine brought Don to the big show in Oshkosh (stopping off in Hornell, where he soloed 73 years ago), and if you were there you might have heard him speak during the presentations in Warbird Alley.

T

Video noob questions

Nick, great video, thanks for posting. I got a Virb for Christmas and want to post videos as well. Can you answe a couple of quick questions?

1-where did you get the music?
2-I see you chose Vimeo to host your video. Is that important? Any reason not to use YouTube?
3-Can you share a picture or description of your mount?

Thanks!

Wiscasset and Miss Lace

Nick:

Thanks very much for the back story on Mr. McKibben - if I ever get up that way ($200/mo for a heated hangar sounds like a great deal)- he does sound like a great character.

Miss Lace would give any Chivette a run for their money!

Last edited:
1-where did you get the music?
2-I see you chose Vimeo to host your video. Is that important? Any reason not to use YouTube?
3-Can you share a picture or description of your mount?

1 - The music is by Juana Molina, and Argentinian singer-songwriter. For .99 you can download that song and put it in your first video, too!

2 - I chose Vimeo because I think the image quality is better, and it doesn't have all the pop-up ads, which annoy me.

3 - I can send you a photo next time I go out to the hangar, but I've already got a better idea. The current mount is just a small piece of aluminium that the regular snap-in mount is glued to...I drilled a couple of hole through that and attached the whole mess to one of the wing inspection plates...this gives you vertical adjustment, but locks you in horizontally. Plan B mount will run into the wing tie-down, which will allow me to swing the camera horizontally.

Super smooth landing. I didn't see the camera bounce at all.

All my landings are like that...:rolleyes:

what was that long stretch there , it looked like maybe a turf runway leading up to a house? is that your place?

Happy New Year Nick! Very pleasant Video,I really enjoy cold weather flying,nice dense air. Excellent choice in music.I miss hanging out with you at Oswego,heck I think we all miss Oswego!
RHill

Hey Nick,
Great video and great story, thanks for sharing both. Haven't seen you in a long time......stop in if you ever get down this way :).

Yessir, Doctor Hill and Champion Gray, it's been a long time...that problem should be repaired.

The snowed-n grass strip belongs to my neighbor Bill, who you may remember from Oswego. He built a sweet -3 which he's actually let me fly.

Here is what I use

This fits the tie downs and also screws into the wingtip mount which is screwed into the wingtip fairing.

oud209.jpg

2v0cuon.jpg

152hpuh.jpg

zlxh05.jpg

1 - The music is by Juana Molina, and Argentinian singer-songwriter. For .99 you can download that song and put it in your first video, too!

2 - I chose Vimeo because I think the image quality is better, and it doesn't have all the pop-up ads, which annoy me.

3 - I can send you a photo next time I go out to the hangar, but I've already got a better idea. The current mount is just a small piece of aluminium that the regular snap-in mount is glued to...I drilled a couple of hole through that and attached the whole mess to one of the wing inspection plates...this gives you vertical adjustment, but locks you in horizontally. Plan B mount will run into the wing tie-down, which will allow me to swing the camera horizontally.

Vimeo is much more "flexible" on music copyright.

Thanks for sharing all the info - last question(s):

Do you use a video editing software on your PC? If so, which one?

Thanks!

SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION ALERT

So. A couple of months ago I entered the aforementioned video in the Breitling Aviation Video Contest...and promptly forgot about it.

On Friday I received an email congratulating me that my video had been chosen as one of the 10 finalists for the Grand Prize of a trip for two to Switzerland and a ride with the Breitling Jet Team (L-39s).

The video with the greatest number of votes (on Facebook) wins!

Here's the link http://bit.ly/1sqqLOP

With your help, I am unstoppable.

Of course I realize that there are videos that are way better than mine out there. I know it 'cause I've seen 'em right here on VAF...but life is unfair...

Support a fellow (albeit undeserving) RV-er and send him to Switzerland...I'll bring you all back chocolate!

Back