What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bahamas 2015

bugsbunny

Well Known Member
We took our second trip down to Treasure Cay Bahamas,had a absolute wonderful time. We did add the 12 inch N numbers this year due to being questioned last year. We enjoy the slow pace in the islands around Treausre Cay.

On the way home we stopped in Americus Georgia, went to the civil war museum and the Andersonville POW museum, absolutely fascinating.

Another trip over too soon back to the winter wonderland.

http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/b...7-4A70-AB54-BE52734321F2_zpswmjndhmb.jpg.html

http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/bugsbunny67/slideshow/Bahamas 2015

Last edited:
Nice

7 planes (4 being rvs) are headed there end of april from Canada for our 2nd trip. What a great destination when you own your own aircraft.

So many great islands with their own landing strips and little hotels. Unbelievable what a great trip it was last year.

Cant wait. :)

Rick,

Cheers to your 2nd trip.

My wife and I are headed to the Bahamas on April 6th for our
first trip - about 8-10 days. (RV6) For a 1st timer - it take a lot of study to determine "where are we going" In short, we will center around Exuma
and fly about from there. Do you have any suggestions?
If you know anyone headed there around those dates - we would be
interested to flying with another plane.

Gary and Babs Jones - (Houston)

Freeport

We bedded down in Freeport and did day trips to Marsh harbor and Treasure Cay and rode ferries to gorgeous outer islands, two weeks ago.

I'd definitely avoid Nassau though...ill mannered and arrogant, whereas all the other islands have very friendly and welcoming ladies and gents.

Best,

BTW, Customs want you to call them, not Flight service. like I did. They never notified them of our coming.

12 inch N Numbers

Yes it was the US side coming back last year.
I fly to Canada several times or year and
Never been asked so I thought I would
Try it. It is a requirement, They were very nice about it.
For you guys heading down have a great
Time, we love the adventure.

TO Drycreek

Last year when we left it was an "epic" trip from Canada. We had done all sorts of planning. Thats part of the fun.

Suggestions since you asked..
1. Email banyan aviation and they will send you a FREE bahamas kit. Very fun to sort through and help with the planning and keep you engaged.
2. We used Ft Pierce as our departure point. Was well recommended, they took good care of us, set us up with a good deal at hotel on the island and free shuttles. Nice. They also rent rafts etc if that is your thing.
3. You do want 12" numbers, i used painters tape...but waxed plane prior to trip so didnt work out well. Nobody said boo, but this trip i will pay a vinyl place to cut me some cheap peal off ones
4. Marsh harbour was good spot to do customs...pleasant and efficient. It was busy and all jets and commercial do straight ins so just find a hole in the traffic and fit in, dont rush it.
5. Banyion fbo kit had all the forms, we had them completed in advance. worked flawlessly.
6. If you google flying the outer islands you will find links to gas credits. Many small resorts will give you a $150 discount for 2 nights or $300 for 4 nights discount. Great deal!
7. We did marsh and then on to Hawks nest for 4 nights. We did day trips to a bunch of islands. LOVED STANIEL CAY....you must stop there.
8. This year we are staying a couple nights on blackpoint just south of staniel cay and renting some great cottages and hopefully a boat, then splitting up with 1/2 going back to hawks nest for 3 nights and the rest going to crooked island for 3 nights (owned or was owned by sportys owner) Then heading home.
Hawksnest and crooked island have their own airports...plane is a few hundred yards from your room. Lots of cool stories about the drug days etc. You will love it. Lots of islands to fly over and good airports to land and put in your log book. Do look up fuel prices ahead and they like to just kind of rip you if you know what it is in advance. Good luck. PM me or email if i can help in any way.

OH LAST TIP.... Filing an international flight plan back to US was a cluster. Blue phones cant be found or have no wires... We used bimini as launch point back to ft pierce. It was horrible. It was under construction so may be better now. Will look into that as its more convenient than going up to marsh again. No internet, no nothing.... had to text a friend at mission control back in Canada to help line up customs etc. No fun.... ensure you have wifi somewhere to do that or burn up $20 on your cell.

Last edited:
Tips

Good suggestions, we always make sure we have wifi for our international flight plans and we use the Vonage App on our cell, the calls have always been free but like Rick said you have to have wifi.I use the app to call customs on the way out as well to notify them we are coming. It's also great for calling home, so far all the calls have been free.

Also
I always call my credit card companies as well and make sure that I tell them where I am headed, sometimes they shut you off, worried about fraud, it's good that they do this, but not fun when you are somewhere and need it, 24 hour fuel etc.

Last edited:
If anyone else is headed that way we are going to Marsh Harbour/ Elbow Cay next weekend. We are so close that we do three and four day weekends a couple of times a year. Spent the first week of November in Eleuthera last year but prefer the out islands of the Abacos. Much more to see and do.

Not yet... but someday...

The Bahamas are one of the first, long cross country trips I plan to take when the -8 is finished! My wife and I honeymooned there in 1990 and we are both looking forward to getting back - especially by way of Van's magic carpet. I have been drooling over ALL of the Bahamas write ups since I have been on this site. It has provided much visual inspiration to keep pounding, so I appreciate all the pictures and stories that are passed along! Enjoy the 2015, and probably 2016 trips without us - but then - get ready! :D

Rick,

Cheers to your 2nd trip.

My wife and I are headed to the Bahamas on April 6th for our first trip - about 8-10 days. (RV6) For a 1st timer - it take a lot of study to determine "where are we going" In short, we will center around Exuma
and fly about from there. Do you have any suggestions? If you know anyone headed there around those dates - we would be interested to flying with another plane.

Gary and Babs Jones - (Houston)

When in the Bahamas, we always stay at the The Hideaways on Exuma. Some favorite destination points from there are Staniel Cay and Crooked Island (Landing Pittstown Point); The Lodge is the first buildings you see on the left in the video. Here are pictures of Crooked Island and the Hideaways (last few pics) from Scott & Tanya Card.

Have a GREAT time :) Rosie & Tuppergal

Last edited:
Customs vs. FAA

Having crossed the border numerous times, a brief explanation of 12" vs. 3" numbers on Experimentals. The FAA only requires 3" numbers but they must be "contrasting" and that is the key word. However, Customs just requires 12" numbers with no verbiage that they need to be contrasting.

With that said, my 12" numbers are imbedded in my paint scheme while I have contrasting 3" numbers on my tail.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/tgzcoqn4mot9kxp/AAA7MJJ-y5YpxclmnXKiTTGqa

Off to the Caribbean on April 14th with Rosie and the gang . . .

Last edited:
Back