What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extra wing NACA vent?

Nihon_Ni

Well Known Member
I've searched for this topic and found references to many people in warmer climates adding a second vent to the back seat, but I couldn't find any discussion about it. My GIB is perpetually hot and I'm wondering if I should consider adding an extra vent to the back seat. Has anyone done this (or wish they had done this)? Any insight would be helpful.

I'm about to begin riveting my wing skins.

Thanks,
Rob

Don't bother

Rob, I didn't see anyone replying so I thought I'd pipe up.

First of all, congratulations on having a "perpetually hot" backseater <g>.

My RV experience is pretty limited (still in Phase I) but based on my time in the front seat at high OATs (80F and above), I would not bother.

A single, good-quality vent (like the 1-5/8" metal eyeball vent from Steinair) should blast all the air a person could want and still close down with no leakage for wintertime or high-altitude flying.

Installing a second vent could easily invoke the "law of unintended consequences" and delay the build. I /do/ have a lot of experience with that :-(

--
Joe

Glad I have a second vent

I did put in a second vent for both front and back seats. Here in Texas where summer OAT's can be upper 90's to low 100's they help. As far as the installation I just mirrored the plans for the other side.

Thanks for the replies.

John, do you have the Vans vents or Steinair ones? Just wondering what difference that makes.

Joe, I read your comment to my wife and she got a kick out of it!

Rob

Vents

Rob,

I have neither the Van's or SteinAir vents. I have ones like this from A/C Spruce -- 3275 LARGE SQUARE EYEBALL VENT / CLEAR Part # 05-04068.

They are quite expensive, but work very very well. Lots air flow and no leaks when shut. Easy and smooth operation. I also like the mounting flanges.

I think I still have the Vans vents somewhere... I will have to search. If I can find them you are welcome to them for only the cost of shipping, method of your choice. I don't care for the way they work, I have seen that style in several gliders I have flown over the years. Let me know if you want them

John

Vents

Rob,

I found the Van's vents. They are the Vans p/n SV-5, the plastic eyeball.
I see that Van's now has the Aluminum vents like I got from ACS.

John,

Thanks for the help. I laid out the position of a NACA inlet on the other wing last night and will cut it out soon. I know it will add time to my project, but it will be worth it to keep the hot blonde happy!

I looked at the metal vents from Vans, Aircraft Spruce, and Steinair. From the pictures in the catalog, it looks like the ones from Steinair have some amount of directional control, but the others don't. Is that right? The Steinair vents have a pretty small flange, and I wonder if I'd have any trouble mounting them.

Thanks again,
Rob

Vents

Rob,

I don't think directional control is a problem with any of the vents. The operational differences have to do with the volume of air flow and the ability to shut off entirely (the Vans plastic ones don't). Otherwise it just depends how you plan to mount the vent.

Vents

Rob -

I went with the Stein eye-ball vents on both sides of the panel. No leaks during a leak check. With the two vents in the FCP for upper body airflow (and can be directed back), the standard RCP lower vent, and a blower to force a mix of hot/cold air through the vents I think the RCP will be well ventilated.

DSCN2032_zps83e68ac0.jpg

I had no issues with mounting the vents and there is plenty of flange (and then some) to attach the SCAT hose with a clamp on the back.

DSCN27522_zpsba88ebb8.jpg

- Strike

Rob,

I don't think directional control is a problem with any of the vents. The operational differences have to do with the volume of air flow and the ability to shut off entirely (the Vans plastic ones don't). Otherwise it just depends how you plan to mount the vent.

Thanks John, this is really helpful.

Rob

Rob -

I went with the Stein eye-ball vents on both sides of the panel. No leaks during a leak check. With the two vents in the FCP for upper body airflow (and can be directed back), the standard RCP lower vent, and a blower to force a mix of hot/cold air through the vents I think the RCP will be well ventilated.

DSCN2032_zps83e68ac0.jpg

I had no issues with mounting the vents and there is plenty of flange (and then some) to attach the SCAT hose with a clamp on the back.

- Strike

Thanks for the gouge. Sorry if this is a stupid question -- since you have vents on both sides, does that mean you put an extra NACA vent on the fuselage, or did you just split the one NACA into two vents? What kind of a blower (fan?) did you put in the back seat vent?

Thanks!
Rob

I have one Stien 1 5/8" in front and one in back. At flying speed those vents
put out a ton of air. No fan needed. I am in the camp that you don't need
two vents in either the front or the rear. I too have one of those heat
sensitive wives. The problem is not the amount of air moving but the temperature. Not much you can do about 90 deg outside air having any
cooling effect even at hurricane speeds. Within ten minutes you are in cool
air and the world is good again. Both the fuselage and the wing NACA vents in the -8 work exceptionally well. JMHO.

Thanks for all the input. I haven't cut a second NACA vent yet, so now I'm rethinking the whole thing.

Back