What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GDL 39 in RV-8

boomer

Well Known Member
Has anyone mounted a Garmin GDL 39 in an RV-8? If so, where did you put it and how did it work out? I am hesitant to put one on the glare shield due to space restrictions, but would appreciate any photos available. Thanks.

-John

On the glare shield

I've mounted mine on the glare shield. I hard wired to ships power. But
bluetoothed to my 796 and iPad. Work flawlessly. I do fold the antenna
down so it is not in my line of sight.

remote mounted GDL39 in RV-8

I mounted my GDL39 behind my panel - mounted to the cockpit side of the forward baggage compartment bulkhead. It has a remote UAT antenna on the belly and a remote GPS antenna (which can either go under the cowl or tucked up on the glare shield. It powers up with my Avionics. It feeds a panel mounted 795 using the bare wire cable.

As Ron Popeil would say, "set it and forget it".

I am waiting on the R model which is designed as a remote mount, dsub & BNC connectors. Coming out at OSH soon I hope.

I am in building the panel now, so different than retrofitting.

GDL-39 Mounting Location

I mounted the GDL-39 behind the panel on the FWD Baggage rear bulkhead.

DSCN26572_zps709bbefa.jpg

The unit does require LOS but with the latest G3X software update, a GPS antenna is not needed. For the ADS-B in, I mounted a small antenna next to the ELT and ran a RG-400 cable to the front. In the driveway last night I was receiving hits from 40k'.

DSCN26582_zps116e2f60.jpg

- Strike

Thanks for the replies and photos. I too was waiting for the R model, which was supposed to be out in June 2013. Once it did not appear I did a bit of further research on the straight 39 model and can't see any advantage to the R model.

-John

I am waiting on the R model which is designed as a remote mount, dsub & BNC connectors. Coming out at OSH soon I hope.

I am in building the panel now, so different than retrofitting.

Back