What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2012 Reno Adventure (2nd Attempt)

Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
After much typing the computer said what you have typed is not that interesting - START OVER! ARHG! I hate when that happens! So an abreviated second attempt:

I flew the RV-6A that my wife Jeanine and I built in our garage like so many of you, out here from Fayetteville, Arkansas (Woo pig ... sorry it's a local thing) Friday. Refueled at Goodland, Kansas and Rock Springs, Wyoming. The weather was so good that I just threw a flight plan in the 695 got a briefing and tookoff improvising on the way.

Four trip Highlights for me ocurred on the last leg. I looked at my charts after I tookoff from Rock Springs and decided to go a little south of my planned route and go over Salt Lake City, Utah for some viewing opportunity. Some Of you NASA insiders may remember the Genesis Mission that returned solar wind samples from 3 years of collecting at the L1 point to the Utah Test and Training Range on September 8, 2004. I was involved in that and spent some time at UTTR and Dugway Proving Grounds and Hill AFB during the mission. I thought it would be at least interesting to see the area from the air over the highway south of The Great Salt Lake. I looked for Wildcat and Granite Peak to the south in that vast area and in my mind at least - I saw them. As I continued west I looked to the north side of the highway and saw the famous destination of Burt Monro and his World's Fastest Indian, the Bonneville Salt Flats. Then almost Immediately on the south side of the highway I saw the the Air Base at Wendover (well it always will be The Air Base to me where Paul Tibbets trained the 509th Composite Group for dropping the Atomic Bomb to end WWII) that I had read so much about in books with various titles including the words "Enola Gay." The end of this trip of discovery came as I was passed the south end of Pyramid Lake and called the temporary tower at Stead Field. "Experimental November 710 Bravo Juliet report downwind abeam left traffic for runway 8." Nothing significant there you say... well I guess you had to be there.

Mark Frederick saw me coming and had a golf cart do follow me duties to the red and white "No Prop Truning" line then tow me to Bob Mills' Hangar. Bob had the doors open waiting for us.

Basically, I was there the plane was safe and I just waited until Bob was done for the day and it was time to go to the hotel get some food and sleep.

The Tailhook Convention was just ending at my hotel in Reno and I thought this bus was interesting:

IMG_6311_zps64ab8625.jpg

If you look closely you can see a sidewinder on the top and a tailhook on the rear (aft).

The end of the first day.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Very cool story, however brief. I would love to fly over there in my newly-minted RV, but alas I won't be able to break free until Friday. So driving it is. Again. Fortunately it's only about 2-1/2 hours for me. Hope to meet you Saturday evening, Bob!

Days 2&3

The big introductory IN-BRIEF has taken place

IMG_6316_zpsbfccab5f.jpg

IMG_6322_zps8d8505fe.jpg

and a Crew briefing completed , wrist bands, head bands (most worn on arms never saw one on a head - different color and marking for each class) and yellow validation tags are in place so that part of Sport Class Race #43 is set.

IMG_6337_zps9f242cad.jpg

IMG_6335_zps73fbf703.jpg

I have seen Bob Mills and Mark frederick, Alan Crawford, Ernie Sutter and Lynn Farnsworth from SARL fly so far and all seems well. there have been some flat tires and one mayday but nothing major. Tomorrow is another practice and qualification day. With a lot of briefs and tune up flying. I suspect few have qualified so tomorrow will be tense.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Day 4

Our guys in the Sport Class did well today. To my knowledge everyone qualified
Mark Frederick went a little over 260 mph and Bob mills was a little over 245.
The minimum qualification requirement was 200 mph. A fellow flying an
absolutely beautiful RV-3 made it in the Sport class and he is going to race at
Reno.

There is a little fenced off area at the north end of the first hangar west of
the ramp where all of the crews are to go to when their planes leave the ramp
for flight. This fellow's crew is his wife. When one of the guys in the area
that was timing the planes accurately but I think unofficially, stated that #89
was over 200 mph the smile on that woman's face was not for show. There was a
deep inner pride and happiness that was for them alone. It was a major or a
small victory depending on your view but it was deeply felt by the principles in
the story and it didn't matter a whit that they were at the bottom of the heap,
they were in.

IMG_6342_zpsde85ccb9.jpg

I saw the smile and it made me feel good as I too have shared
such a victory in other arenas and I understand the private joy it can bring .
There are so many stories at all levels here at the Reno Air Races it is like a
small cross section of life with an aviation and racing spine.

Tomorrow there is still some practice time but the real racing starts. I will
be watching the SARL racers closely and pulling for them all but maybe a little
harder for Sport Class #43 (my team) and our close associate #12.

The NTSB presented a slide and video program on the devastating crash last year
that provided far greater insight than I had ever seen.

IMG_6377_zps675eb95b.jpg

They too want the races to continue but they are doing their job to make them safer for everyone.

End of Day 4

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
I'm taking them but ...

My cable is at home that connects my camera to the computer. Someone else is going to have to fill that void I'm affraid.

Bob Axsom

Bob,
See if you can get one of those camera thingys from Rocket.
At least you should get a good smile.

Be Safe out there.

Day 5

We had a good day in the Sport Bronze group (Our Pilot Bob Mills refers to them as the Bronze Gods). He finished 2nd in the Sport 1C heat. To find the detail reports of the races and qualification go to:

In the morning the Sport Bronze group ran some practice racing just to sharpen the procedures but the real thing came at 14:55. All went well and as reported earlier Bob Mills in his RV-Super 6 did well holding off a Radial Rocket but chasing a Glasair II-S. His speed was 242.39 mph. We tried to refine the taping but it came loose in a couple of places. We will try to do better in the next Sport Bronze heat on Friday.

The outstanding performance of the day was given by Steve Senegal in Formula 1. He flew Race # 11 Endeavour to a new race record:

260.775 mph​

Steve also flies in the Sport Bronze Class. He walked up to our group around Mark Frederick and Bob Mills airplane and said I just flew the fastest Formula One race ever - I'm stoked! He was so pleased that he might have burst on the spot but I asked do you remember when I gave you tha bottle of water the other day. He slowly said "yes", wondering where is this going and I responded "how about an autograph. With the tension broken he wrote in my little notebook:

Formula One
Race 11
Endeavour
Fastest Formula One
in a heat race
Steve Senegal

IMG_6386_zps8af891b3.jpg

I'm going to change the oil on our airplane tomorrow and some folks are planning to take a look at the baffling with the cowl off. Bob Mills, Stan Sutterfield form Port Orange, Florida and Red Hanilton for sure

When the race day was over I had dinner with Red Hamiltom and Marilyn where we discussed an engine rebuild.

End of Day 5. Bob Axsom

Last edited:
YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!

I don't know where I picked up the "ing" that made it wrong. I corrected it in the post thank you very much for pointing this out.

Bob Axsom

Quick reply before hitting the sackaroo. Was going to try to post more details, but after manning-up to taxi as the Silver heat alternate this morning (Bronze heat winner normally does that, but he was the Pace pilot for this Silver heat, so the honor fell to me), then having my starter solenoid be bad, a long maintenance day began. During the solenoid replacement, we noticed that my oil cooler mounting ears had failed (a double-wide on the rear baffle). I had really beefed up that area in the new baffles I built this winter, and it looks like I succesfully moved the failure point to the ears on the cooler. So I guess sometimes solenoids fail for a reason, eh! New cooler on, with .063 angle doublers riveted to the ears for strength. Really appreciate Bob's help and that of my crew chief WC Raven Tommy Ishii in getting that done. All buttoned up, and ready to rumble tomorrow (well, hoping the cooler doesn't rumble any more! ;)).

It has been very fun so far! Four RVs and a Rocket in Sport Class this year (Mark Frederick's F1, Steve Senegal's Super 8, Tim Cone's 8, Dave Casey's 3, and my Super 6). More and more friends are coming by to say hi, and its going to be a great weekend ahead, so please do come visit us at the Sport Class Hangar!

We had a good day in the Sport Bronze group (Our Pilot Bob Mills refers to them as the Bronze Gods). Bob Axsom

A VERY tongue-in-cheek comment! When the "class" of the class has 100 plus mph on ya (or 150 in the case of Jeff Lavelle), you find ways to have a little fun on the side! :cool:

My cable is at home that connects my camera to the computer. Someone else is going to have to fill that void I'm affraid.

Bob Axsom

Bob,
See if you can get one of those camera thingys from Rocket.
At least you should get a good smile.

Be Safe out there.

I'm bringing one for ya tomorrow outta my drawer full of such things Bob!

Cheers! (And wish us luck!)(And see ya at the R-Cubed BBQ!)

Bob
Race 43

Last edited:
Day 6

This was supposed to be an off day for Race 43 but the Gods of Chance smiled on it with a series of events that revealed problems that would have been devastating had they occurred tomorrow during a scheduled Sport Bronze race day.

I changed the oil and filter in the Blue Bird in Bob Mills' normal hangar so I didn't even know there was a problem, well two actually, until well into afternoon. Bob and his Crew Chief Tommy Ishii had replaced the starter solenoid and were working on the replacement of the oil cooler when I showed up for a routine check-in before going to the hotel. I stayed and offered token help until the oil cooler was replaced. It was starting to get dark but they still had to go back out across the "No Prop Turn Line" test run the engine and test for leaks. From Bob Mills' post above I assume it all went well.

All the time during the day the races and the show were going on for the paying fans. I never saw the stands on the front side so I don't know anything about how the show is going on or how it is being reacted to by the public. On Sport Class Bronze race day we we get to spend time in an area affectionately known as the race crew holding pen and get to see a race. This is after we spot the plane (Bob Mills' RV Super 6 AKA Race 43) on the ramp in an assigned order. We go to the pen, the racers start at a specified time and taxi to the assigned runway. After takeoff they form up on a pace plane and make a flying start like the Unlimited Class.

Tomorrow is race day again for the the boys in Bronze and the competition will be tough. I will be keeping my eyes on the Radial Rocket that was pressing Bob hard early in Heat Race 1C. I think Race #43 has a margin on the rest of the entries but the winner of Heat 1C, Race #22 a Glasair II-S and the Radial Rocket will be tough.

IMG_6410_zps613aaad2.jpg

IMG_6376_zpsc444f3ae.jpg

IMG_6373_zps663ed1ee.jpg

I recognized Earnie Butcher from this VAF community among many of Bob Mills friends and other fans that stopped by to see him and his gleaming red airplane. His crew Chief Tommy Ishii Spent many hours waxing it to add to it's general appeal.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Reno 2012 Day 7

Breakfast at 0630 at the Home Town Caf? in Lemmon Valley behind the Shell Station. In four days of trying to connect with the SARL racers there I finally made it. There is a story there but I?ll just leave it hanging for folks like Mike Thompson to stew on. Good food, large portions surrounded by racers and fans. I sat at the end of a long table that I suspect was arranged for the racers that eat there every morning. I was a few minutes late and I sat at the end across from a gentleman called Ollie Crawford. He told me only his mother called him Oliver. I learned that he lives in San Antonio, Texas and I mentioned that I was stationed at Lackland AFB there in February of 1954. He asked if I took Basic Training there and I said yes. He told me that he took Basic in 1943. I asked if he was a pilot and he said yes he was. I asked what he flew and he said P-40s. Now, younger folks that have the insatiable love of airplanes may have a fuzzy notion of a P-40 in shape and size but to school boys like me during WWII the Curtis P-40 was the first fighter we ever knew and it was special. I told him I saw the movie ?God is My Copilot? and I read the book ? I think it was the first one I ever read. The Flying Tigers and Robert L. Scott were the essence of fighter pilots and the legends that surround them. Ollie slowly pulled his hat out of his lap and showed me the Flying Tiger identification. He asked if I had heard of Tex Hill and I said I had. He told me of some political situation that prevented Tex Hill from getting medals he was recommended for and his (Ollie?s) effort to correct that situation including communicating directly with Robert L. Scott to get his eye witness confirmation of the heroic feats of Tex Hill. Now Ollie Crawford is working to get an Air & Space Museum established in San Antonio. Later in the day Ollie was in the Crew Holding Pen for the Sport Silver race right up against the rail nearest the taxiway in the sun. I was back against the hangar wall in the shade as our pilot Bob Mills was the alternate for the Sport Silver Race. Watching him and his son as Alan taxied by in his Lancair Legacy with his arm sticking out under the canopy holding a small American Flag was a touching moment, an observation of two patriots.

At 10:00 it was time for the Bronze Sports class to race. Bob Mills and his Crew Chief Tommy Ishii had worked into the night to get #43 ready to participate and it was ready with a new starter solenoid and oil cooler. The race was similar to yesterday?s race in that the Radial Rocket pressed him early but faded after the first couple of laps. He finished 2nd after the Glasair #22 and a little ahead of the Radial Rocket #105.

Then we got some disappointing news when Mark Fredrick called a Mayday at the start of the Silver Sports class and landed safely but out of the race and out of the rest of the races at Reno this year as well with elevator and trim tab damage.

To provide a secure place for Mark?s airplane the Axsom Blue Bird got evicted out of Bob Mills? hangar but it found a temporary home in the Sport Class Hangar. Don?t tell anyone that we are mere pretenders. Well go ahead, I?ve taken the photographs already and all I have to do is post them on the internet to prove that for one brief shining moment Race #71 was resident with the Sport Bronze Class racers in Reno.

IMG_6403_zpsc1696ec8.jpg

I saw SARL racer David Adams in the Gold and Silver Sport Class hangar this afternoon talking to Alan Crawford so more are coming each day. Tomorrow we race again and we think #43 is ready for the task.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Then we got some disappointing news when Mark Fredrick called a Mayday at the start of the Silver Sports class and landed safely but out of the race and out of the rest of the races at Reno this year as well with elevator and trim tab damage.

Bob, I have some suspicions about this one, but do have any more info?

No Not Really

The FAA is checking everything carefully as you would expect in such a high visibility and very sensitive environment. He just flew it back to the airport and started providing access to everything the FAA folks asked for.

Bob Axsom

2012 Reno Air Races Day 8 from Race #43 crew perspective

Today was Saturday, the next to last day of racing and Bob Mills the magnificent in Race #43 held off Radial Rocket #105 for one more time to finish 2nd in the Sport Bronze class for the third time in a row. Once again Race 105 was a little high and outside as if ready to pounce on Bob but Bob held his ground and after three laps the margin was starting to open up again. If you were on the crew for #105 it was probably not so great but we liked it … A LOT! When the Sport Silver class race was run, Race 43 was once again the alternate that was not required. After we spotted the plane on the start grid and Bob Mills taxied out to the runway and back again we were done for the day. I sat by the Blue Bird and met a lot of nice people until around 4 pm then I went to the hotel. I passed Radial Rocket #105 as I walked out of the hangar, its cowl was off and serious faced experts were gathered around. I have a hunch tomorrow’s race will be even tougher than today.

I met Paul Dye and Louise, Dan Beatle and his wife Pat that I hadn’t seen for over 20 years, Lars Peterson, Dale Walter and his son Kevin, Paulo Iscold from Brazil, Jim Smith from Wichita, Craig Catto the propeller man and many more. Paul Dye gave me an "Official Commemorative Medallion Celebrating the Historic Space Shuttle Program." It contains metal flown on a Space Shuttle Mission. On the back side it says “Mission Complete Columbia *Challenger*Discovery*Atlantis*Endeavour” and shows the shuttle in various mission settings. I worked on 5 projects that flew on Columbia and Endeavour and they were all successful thanks to the NASA Mission Control team at JSC.

Well, tomorrow is the last day of the 2012 Reno Air Races and it will be time to head home. I haven’t done a thing yet to prepare so after I complete this update I will start checking weather forecasts and planning the trip. I probably will just reverse the trip coming here but if Mark Fredrick needs a ride I will return via Taylor, Texas.

Had dinner with Red Hamilton and Marilyn again and talked about the upcoming engine work on the Blue Bird after the race season is over. Look out next year SARL racers.

The complete Reno Air Race results can be found at http://Reports.AirRace.org.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Well Bob, I am magnificently washing my flight suit and savoring a magnificent time at the R3 BBQ, as well as a Stead BBQ and a SWA BBQ...all great parties. Lots of great RV folks at the BBQ, and many came by to visit between races heats today in the Sport Class hangar as well. We're all hoping to see more friends tomorrow.

Early go tomorrow, for the Bronze (nice, cool, smooth air...all good!) 4 RVs in that race! We've been having good, clean, fun racing so far, so please wish us luck!!

There have been some fun races throughout the week. The RV-8 (Tim) and RV-3 (Dave) dueled it out one day, and Tim and Steve (RV-S8) had a nice duel today. Pete in the Radial Rocket is right there, and I'll tell ya what...a Radial Rocket casts a big shadow when he's sitting over your shoulder! Sport Silver provided perhaps the best race of the week today, with 2 Lancairs chasing a Glassair for 6 laps to a photo finish. I think it was the Glassair by a spinner...literally!

Hoping to see more of the RV family tomorrow!! :)

With respect to Mark's aircraft damage, request we respect the investigative process, with no speculation. NTSB has collected EFIS, GPS, photo, and video data, and we'll get some good info, as well as some valuable engineering analyisis, through the process. Truly up to Mark to release and discuss that when appropriate. He handled the situation well, flew professionally, and kept his cool throughout. Job well done. Paul, will pass your offer along to Mark, though he'll likely see it here as well.

Nice reports Bob! Glad you are having fun! :D

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Reno 2012 Day 9

The Sports Bronze Class Race was run early today we positioned Race #43 in the
number two spot in the Racing grid on the ramp. When all was said and done it
was a heck of a race between Bob Mills and his RV-Super 6 and the Radial Rocket
of Peter Malone from Sikeston, Missouri for 2nd place and Tim Cone in his RV-8

IMG_6367_zpse17722e8.jpg

and David Casey in his RV-3 for 6th place. Bob and Tim won those races that
weren't on the program but they were oh so close. In the four races our team of
Tommy (Turbo) Ishii Crew Chief, Brian Adams & Bob Axsom Crew and Bob Mills
Pilot/owner/dedicated worker kept trying to reduce drag anyway we could with wax
and tape and Bob Mills kept flying Rocket 6 a little faster each race. He had
to because so did Peter Malone and he didn't slowly fade in the last race. They
were together to the very end running hard and neither yielding.

Even though I fixated on 43 and 105, I could not ignore the race going on
between the Tim Cone in his white and pink RV-8 promoting Breast Cancer
awareness and David Casey in his highly polished silver and red "RV-3 that could."
You may recall that there was serious concern on the part of the Race #89 team
about being able to make the 200 mph qualifying speed for the race. In this race
he passed Race #18 and led until the last possible instant without winning. From
our view point in the crew holding pen we could not tell who crossed the finish
line first but Tim came on hard and barely won their private race in the end.

As a race team crew member your perspective is totally different at Reno. I
hadn't been here for a while and when we came here before we tied our Piper
Archer II down at the main airport and watched the big show as interested
spectators in 1985 and 1987. Back then every race and show was watched with
interest but now except for SARL racers Ernie Sutter (1st in Sport Silver), Alan
Crawford (4th in Sport Silver) and Lynn Farnsworth (Sport Gold) the airplanes,
the crowds, etc. were just background. I was honored to work with such a good
and successful team - a once in a lifetime experience that I will not forget.
Thanks Bob, Tommy and Brian you're the best.

IMG_6408_zps425fb555.jpg

IMG_6417_zps8ed8b49f.jpg

Now my rental car is turned in Brian gave me a ride from the Enterprise drop off
at the main Reno Airport back to the hotel and Bob is going to pick me up at the
hotel in the morning and take me to Stead Field where my airplane is hangared.
Hopefully, everything will go well on the flight home tomorrow. I will have a
couple of days to get my grass cut and prepare the plane for its race at Pagosa
Springs next Saturday.

THE END

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Good work, Bob

Thanks for taking the time to be a reporter as well as a crew member. Having been there two times, I have a good feeling for the locations as well as the thrill of watching the races.
Have a safe trip home.
P.S. Kermit Weeks has been posting some photos and some videos on his Facebook page. :)

My RV will be flying by next years festivities.....

Great meeting some of the VAF community! Bob you're right... Just watching gave me the bug.

It was a real treat to meet some of the most recognized RV folks at the BBQ, thanks to Dan and Greg for a great Gathering. Hope to see ya all next year!

It was a real pleasure to get to spend some time with all the usual R-cubed crowd, and especially nice to finally meet Bob Axom! I really enjoyed the talk Bob - we've worked on projects together without ever knowing it!

Paul

I captured this shot of Bob Axsom pushing Race 43 (Bob Mills) out of the Sport hangar to ready it at its race staging position on the ramp. This was the only photo I was able get of Bob when he wasn't either over or under Race 43 getting his hands dirty.

Bob, your the BEST... and we all love you!

_DSC6089.JPG

Last edited:
Good to see everyone at the BBQ and share a little food and beer. Thanks to Dan and the others at Reno Stead for having us.

EAA also had a great tent set up and treated members to a seat, some shade, a free lunch, and ice cream, snacks and drinks all day Sunday. Rod Hightower and his wife were there hanging out and shaking hands. I didn't have my membership card or info with me, but Chad remembered me from the Saturday evening BBQ and got me in with no fuss. Thanks man!

Erich

Photos added

I am home with my photo copy capability so I added what I think are appropriate photos in the earlier posts and I will add the some of the Sport Gold Racers here:

John Parker's Thunder Mustang:

IMG_6339_zps6b7e10b1.jpg

Kevin Eldredge's NXT Relentless:

IMG_6371_zps6bf6cf1a.jpg

Lee Behel's GP5:

IMG_6368_zpsfec702a5.jpg

IMG_6370_zps00d7ce6c.jpg

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
I did not - Sorry

I may not have seen it except at a great distance. I think it was at the east end of the grid the one time I may have got a glimpse of it from the west end of the ramp. Usually I did not have my camera with me.

Sorry

Bob did you get a photo of the Glasair III that won the Gold?

John,

I didn't get any pictures of Jeff either, but I'm guessing you know him, since he's from the Seattle area. I know he has an RV as well, and is thinking about bringing it to PRS next summer, along with a few other of his RV buds from up in your neck of the woods. Are you one of the guys that may come to PRS with him? :) Jeff flew a great series of races. He flies such a great line, and has his Glassair really tweaked and tuned. It takes a lot of work to get the turbos and ADI and other systems dialed in as he settles onto the course. We started calling that "twizzling"...the things you have to do to get all set up at the "Gentlemen, you have a race" call. Jeff obviously has it figured out...396 mph!

I do have a few pictures of the RVs and Rockets that raced. I hope others will post more. And if anyone has pics from the R3 BBQ, please post them. It was great to meet everyone there, and I kinda wish we'd put our VAF call signs on our name tags...I'm just beginning to connect more of the dots after reading some of these posts. It was great seeing Paul and Louise again, and spending some great time with Ernie Butcher. Good to meet Pete Hunt and others from here...wish we had more time...it really blew by!

Here's a few RV pics:

Dave Casey's RV-3 (now sold to a happy new owner in CA)
Race%252089%2520sm.JPG

Tim Cone's RV-8 (dressed up for the races and the 7 OCT NFL Breast Cancer Awareness flyover with KC Flight (Chiefs vs Ravens)
Race%252018%2520sm.JPG

Steve Senegal's Super 8 (good Navy paint scheme!)
Race%252054%2520sm.JPG

Mark Frederick's Rocket and my Super Six (not a great pic, but note Mark's new cooling exit design. My new Sam James Ram air is also visible...we both did glass this winter!)
Race%252012%2520and%252043%2520sm.JPG

I'd call the Radial Rocket my arch rival, but how can you be rivals with such a sexy airplane! (Pete's a good guy too!)
Radial%2520Rocket%2520sm.JPG

Fun times all week, Hanging out here with Kevin Eldredge (Relentless) at the pilot in-brief:
Bob%2520and%2520Kevin%2520E%2520RNO.JPG

And one action photo that just popped up on my wife's Facebook page (proto credit Keith Breazeal)
43%2520and%2520105%2520pylon.jpg

It was a fun week, for sure. Thanks again to my crew chief Tommy "Turbo" Ishii, and Bob Axsom for all the help...all week long!

Cheers,
Bob

I went up with Jeff Ackland in his Radial Rocket this summer, and if the cockpit was a bit longer and I had more time on my license, I'd be building one now. It is a beautiful plane.

Thank for the updates. Maybe I'll get there some day.

John,

I didn't get any pictures of Jeff either, but I'm guessing you know him, since he's from the Seattle area. I know he has an RV as well, and is thinking about bringing it to PRS next summer, along with a few other of his RV buds from up in your neck of the woods. Are you one of the guys that may come to PRS with him?
Cheers,
Bob
No, my racing days are over (20 years in stock outboard hydros), but Jeff is a member of the Black Jacks formation group and may be speaking of them. Enjoyed all the photos, thanks!
John

WOW John that is a long time!

No, my racing days are over (20 years in stock outboard hydros), but Jeff is a member of the Black Jacks formation group and may be speaking of them. Enjoyed all the photos, thanks!
John

There are definitely two types of racing. Maybe the cross country races of SARL would have more appeal to you. www.sportairrace.org - I am in Pagosa Springs for a race this Saturday. I am tired from all the flying to compete in 12 races so far and the week in Reno with 8 more races to go. It does wear you down if you try to fly every possible race in the series and it is darned expensive - several thousands of dollars for 100LL, rental cars, motels, food, etc. there is no way I could continue to compete at this level for 20 years. I'm on a mission this year but if a person just flies a single race that is reasonably close it can be a recreational experience with some really good people.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Reno

Bob (RV) Mills,

I met you four years ago at the RV BBQ when your twins were quite young. My wife and I planned to be at the BBQ this year but the bus ride back to our hotel would not permit us the time. Anyway, we got a few pictures of the twins riding the airplane back to the sport class hangar.......we never did see you except in the air. You did some impressive flying and we watched every one of your races. You've got that RV cooking. We are all very proud of you and the RV!!!!!!! (The boys are growing up fast.)

Dewatson

I have pics of the RV BBQ, but, I just did the Ipad update and It made some major changes to YouTube and other apps, Ill try and work on it this weekend, also have vid clip of the RVs racing!

Sorry for the (stupid) question, is that an RV6 (the red one) with F1 Rocket main gear legs?

Ettore, it started as a six, but like the rocket that John Harmon makes, it has been modified a bit.

Shorter wing, longer fuse, and a IO 540 on the nose.

Bob (RV) Mills,

I met you four years ago at the RV BBQ when your twins were quite young. My wife and I planned to be at the BBQ this year but the bus ride back to our hotel would not permit us the time. Anyway, we got a few pictures of the twins riding the airplane back to the sport class hangar.......we never did see you except in the air. You did some impressive flying and we watched every one of your races. You've got that RV cooking. We are all very proud of you and the RV!!!!!!! (The boys are growing up fast.)

Dewatson

David,

Really sorry we missed each other this year, but I remember the ride the boys took on the plane. I was over debriefing...or we were still out on the ramp telling each other lies (again) ;). Thanks much for the nice comments...and yes, they are growing up fast...not long before they have girlfriends riding on the wings with them! :cool::cool:

Hope to see you next year!

I have pics of the RV BBQ, but, I just did the Ipad update and It made some major changes to YouTube and other apps, Ill try and work on it this weekend, also have vid clip of the RVs racing!

Just saw that clip Bret...that was really cool! Wish I had as big a lead on Pete in the Radial Rocket as Rick had on me...but it did make it kinda fun! Thanks for posting that!

Sorry for the (stupid) question, is that an RV6 (the red one) with F1 Rocket main gear legs?

Not a dumb question at all, and good eyes! They are titanium Harmon Rocket struts. A bit of added strength for the extra weight of the 540, and it raises the nose some for better prop clearance for the 80" Hartzell. This plane was the second Super Six built (to my knowledge), and it was also built with an 8" stretch to the fuselage, thicker skins, and beefed up structure. I have since added a few things, including an RV-8 Vertical Stab and Rudder, to add the counterbalanced rudder. Its been a great flying airplane...just like all RVs! :)

Cheers,
Bob

David,

Not a dumb question at all, and good eyes! They are titanium Harmon Rocket struts. A bit of added strength for the extra weight of the 540, and it raises the nose some for better prop clearance for the 80" Hartzell. This plane was the second Super Six built (to my knowledge), and it was also built with an 8" stretch to the fuselage, thicker skins, and beefed up structure. I have since added a few things, including an RV-8 Vertical Stab and Rudder, to add the counterbalanced rudder. Its been a great flying airplane...just like all RVs! :)

Cheers,
Bob

Bob, it sounds great!
She's really gorgeous with those long legs. :cool:

Bob, Lars, Chad, and everyone else that I got to talk to between sprints to keep Kyle out of trouble- thanks fo rthe chats and hospitality! Bob, when we look through the program and run across your big pic on page 146 (congrats on that, BTW!), Kyle says "Bob's Rocket Six!":D

I uploaded this video of Unlimited Silver race from Sunday. Any guesses as to what his favorite plane is? :D

Bob, it sounds great!
She's really gorgeous with those long legs. :cool:

She's a little red with embarrasment...but she says thanks! ;)

Bob, Lars, Chad, and everyone else that I got to talk to between sprints to keep Kyle out of trouble- thanks fo rthe chats and hospitality! Bob, when we look through the program and run across your big pic on page 146 (congrats on that, BTW!), Kyle says "Bob's Rocket Six!":D

I uploaded this video of Unlimited Silver race from Sunday. Any guesses as to what his favorite plane is? :D

Cool! It was fun hanging out with you and Kyle (poopy diapers and all! :p). He's showing early signs of extraordinary good judgement and taste...picking a Grumman Cat as a fave! Good job Dad! :)

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
The Wendover Photo on the VAF Home Page Today

I spent enough time under that red belly at Reno to be drawn to the photo without looking at the text. Tommy Ishii (the honorable crew chief of out little band) is mentioned when I did get to the text. Which is his airplane in the photo?

Bob Axsom

I spent enough time under that red belly at Reno to be drawn to the photo without looking at the text. Tommy Ishii (the honorable crew chief of out little band) is mentioned when I did get to the text. Which is his airplane in the photo?

Bob Axsom

Bob, Turbo is A4, and is in the slot right behind me in that pic. He's in the white, blue and gold-trimmed 6 that you can see so well in the reflection on the belly that you guys worked so hard to make so shiny during the races! :)

Fun show in Wendover!

Cheers,
Bob

I though that might be him!

Thanks for the info. That waxing was strictly on Tommy Turbo! All I did was try to guide looky lou's away from touching it to avoid the wrath of Tommy. He spent five hours bringing it to perfection and he wasn't about to let the effort be wasted. He was one fine crew chief and it was an honor to work for the two of you.

Bob Axsom

Back