What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Updated RV-14 V-Speeds Documentation

greghughespdx

Well Known Member
Advertiser
We have updated the RV-14/14A V-Speeds specification document and posted the new version to our website in the RV-14 Service Information area.

This version (Rev 3) adds best-glide data. It also modifies the specification for Never-Exceed speeds to include both indicated and true airspeed values. Owners with modern EFIS systems should configure their EFIS to display both values. An explanation of the reason for this is provided in the document.​

The Vne definition doesn't make practical sense and is confusing. At Sea Level, IAS is equal to TAS, so Vne @ SL = 230 MIAS (200 KIAS) = 230 MTAS (200 KTAS).

But at all altitudes above SL, Vne is governed by the constant TAS value of 230 MTAS (200 KTAS) and the corresponding IAS values will decrease with increasing altitude. So the 230 MIAS (200 KIAS) value is not relevant since the TAS value governs. In other words, if you are flying 230 MIAS (200 KIAS) at any altitude above SL, you are flying faster than the Vne of 230 MTAS (200 KTAS).

I think you should just say that Vne is 230 MTAS (200 KTAS) and leave it at that, since the flutter considerations apparently are the limiting factor for the RV-14(A) models (as well as the other RV models).

From the Notification:

i-2MWgfQJ-S.jpg

i-HfXVRLw-S.jpg

i-XJppS6J-S.jpg

i-7C5Sx8V-S.jpg

Below is a table of Vne in terms of IAS for various altitudes in both Knots and MPH (useful for folks without a modern EFIS):

i-V7wjgjh-S.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah the only time the IAS Vne would limit you to a lower speed than the TAS Vne is when the density altitude is below sea level. Maybe Vans is worried about that one guy pulling out of a dive to do a high speed low pass on a cold day in Death Valley...??

Quick online search shows that some pilots in extremely cold places like Alaska at a runway near sea level have reported density altitudes as low as -5000'. So a 230 MPH TAS Vne would give you around 246 MPH IAS in those conditions. The odds of someone actually going flying at those temps and busting Vne while yanking and banking close to the ground seem pretty unlikely though.

Last edited:
All winter long, I live at -3000 to -6000 feet density altitude and that's on the shore of Lake Superior. Even right now, I'm at -1300. Many cities in the Canadian Praries will be -2000 +/- density altitude most of the winter.

Back