What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

90 degree oil filter adapter - single drive dual mag

Sam Staton

Well Known Member
I bought a 90 degree oil filter adapter, and received it today. When I read the installation instructions, I found that my engine (O360A1G6D) is one of two engines this one will not fit. The options (as explained to me by the manufacturer) are: 1) do without, 2) buy Lycoming’s adapter for this engine (many $), or 3) find someone who knows how to modify a spacer to direct the oil to the proper places. Apparently, this has been done on an RV6. At this point, my hope is that someone on the list either has done it, knows someone who has, or knows how to do it. Apparently, this can be done with a mill by someone who knows what they are doing (that excludes me!). Since I am unwilling to pay Lycoming prices, I am fervently hoping that the brain trust can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

May I ask what's motivating your desire for a 90-deg adapter? I have a Dual-Mag IO-360 in my -6 and the filter access/clearance is quite good-- and allows use of the longer filter (CH48104). Even with an A/C compressor in the way, I can still get a 1" box-end wrench on the end of the filter.

20200819_161043.jpg

I'm not sure about the differences between your engine and mine but I can share my experience with my engine.

My Titan engine came with a 90 degree adapter and a spacer from the factory. When I went to install my B&C standby alternator I realized it wouldn't fit with the spacer that I had, I needed a shorter 0.75" spacer. I ordered one from Continental to fix the problem. If I had known beforehand about this detail I could have had the engine configured this way from the start. Now I have a longer spacer available if that would work for you.

Since that time I figured out that B&C also sell a 0.75" spacer for $60.
https://bandc.com/product/oil-filter-adapter-spacer-kits-0-75-2-5-bc700/

Here is a pic of my install prior to adding the standby alternator.

Attachments

• oil_filter_adapter_intall.jpg
    oil_filter_adapter_intall.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 214
Won’t fit

It seems that the 6D variant is a unicorn. Mine is the left engine off of a Beech Duchess. Not enough of the engines are in service to justify designing an adapter to fit the single drive-dual mag system. I can put the Challenger oil filter in place of the existing one and barely have room to reach and remove it. My hope was to find an adapter that would simplify the process.

It seems that the 6D variant is a unicorn. Mine is the left engine off of a Beech Duchess. Not enough of the engines are in service to justify designing an adapter to fit the single drive-dual mag system. I can put the Challenger oil filter in place of the existing one and barely have room to reach and remove it. My hope was to find an adapter that would simplify the process.

Can you post some pics of the back side of this engine? Would be interesting to see the differences between your 6D variant and the other typical single-drive dual-mag engines. Below is my IO-360-A3B6D (before I overhauled it) showing the relative location of the accessories. How is yours different?

P0000887.JPG

Last edited:
Mine is just like yours

The -6D indicates the single drive dual mag, so the accessory case is the same (I presume). The issue is that the oil paths are different, so an adapter has to be produced that has the proper oil paths to connect adapter to accessory case. I don’t know how to do that.

The "D" indicates a dual drive or single mag engine. The "6" indicates a counteweighted crankshaft engine, having one 6th and one 8th order counterweight.
All of the 360"s with a dual single drive magneto use the same accessory housing. I am not aware of an oil filter adapter for that engine. Might be one but have never seen one. If it were available I think it would be an adapter for a remote oil filter mounted somewhere else. Just a block with hollow mounting stud machined to an outlet passage and then a return passage machined to the filtered side of the engines filter mount allowing hose connections to a remote oil filter base.
The way the oil filter screws directly to the accessory housing would make screwing a 90 degree adapter that needed indexing very difficult, if not impossible. As the adapter would have to screw onto the accessory housing directly and be tightened not allowing precise indexing.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

Airwolf

Airwolf makes a remote filter setup, that, although relatively expensive, solves the problem. Thanks Avanza! One is on order and should be here soon.

Last edited:
If your engine is truly and O-360-A1G6D and the accessory area looks like the one depicted in hgerhardt's post the oil filter adapter from Airwolf depicted in Avanza's post will not work on your engine. That Kit is for a remote mounted filter canister that would mount on the firewall and have plumbing running to an oil filter adapter that mounts to the engine with 4 screws/bolts. The only Lycoming engines that that kit would work on would have two separate mags mounted to the accessory case not a single dual mag like your engine has.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

If your engine is truly and O-360-A1G6D and the accessory area looks like the one depicted in hgerhardt's post the oil filter adapter from Airwolf depicted in Avanza's post will not work on your engine. That Kit is for a remote mounted filter canister that would mount on the firewall and have plumbing running to an oil filter adapter that mounts to the engine with 4 screws/bolts. The only Lycoming engines that that kit would work on would have two separate mags mounted to the accessory case not a single dual mag like your engine has.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

Airwolf makes a kit specifically designed for the -D models.

Found the solution

The Airwolf AFC-K007-B remote filter kit is a perfect fit for single drive/dual mag engines. The photos below show mine installed (without hoses yet…). I could not ask for a better fit. With my Challenger oil filter, this will be a very elegant installation. A bit of trivia - the oil filter fitting that comes with the engine is held in place by a bung that is 3/4” threads on the engine side and 13/16” threads on the filter side. It screws right out and is replaced by the Airwolf part.

Attachments

• A4138875-7BD6-4F4D-9AF3-8F39BF4E579B.jpg
    A4138875-7BD6-4F4D-9AF3-8F39BF4E579B.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 5201FEE2-AA2E-4D3B-AB00-97C3D30B83B3.jpg
    5201FEE2-AA2E-4D3B-AB00-97C3D30B83B3.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 36AB5E94-B422-4E41-BDEF-6E2FAC6948AB.jpg
    36AB5E94-B422-4E41-BDEF-6E2FAC6948AB.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 59
You may already know this, but Lycoming has a service bulletin describing the black steel adapter plate and how to bond the rubber seal to it, as well as proper part numbers for the plate, adhesive, and seal.

Back