What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SureFly or E-MAG

Badia358

I plan to remove my Laser ignitions and replace them with either SureFly or E-MAG. I am looking for advice/suggestions.

SureFly - I like that I can keep my current aviation wires and plugs. Seems like a great ignition system. The problem is that I would like to run with two SureFly MAGs and that would mean that I need to come up with a way to power one of the MAGs from a small backup battery. Not a major problem since I think this can be done easily. But if others already have this, I would live to see what they did.

E-MAG - I like that the MAGs have internal brushless alternators. But I will need to replace my wiring harness and plugs by going to automobile type.

I would like to hear experiences from other with either of these electronic MAGs and what they would suggest.

This will be for an RV-6A with an IO-360 and Hartzell Constant Speed 2 blade prop.

Thank you in advanced.

Alex

May I suggest you also consider SDS for your ignition needs.

As far as changing from your current wires and plugs-----what is it that you are concerned about??

Lots of aircraft flying with the auto wires/plugs and the $$ savings are huge.

Thanks Mike, I will look at SDS. At this point I am looking at my options and getting input from other builders is great. But I am convinced that the Laser system has to go while I do my annual this month.

Alex

Unless you install pMags, you will need to modify your electrical system to mitigate loss of power (loss of engine) risks.

I have 1000 hours on dual pMags (first RV) and now 100 hours on the new RV-8. They have been flawless, and provide significant cruise efficiency over mags.

But do install the recommend BR8ES auto plugs. Simple, effective and cheap enough to just replace instead of clean.

Carl

Last edited:

As far as changing from your current wires and plugs-----what is it that you are concerned about??

Installing auto plugs with adapters and new wires as delivered with the pmag kit will take about an hour. Then you get the advantage of using very inexpensive spark plugs.

Do both :D

I just ordered my engine with a left Pmag and a Slick mag on the right. I plan on removing the Slick and installing Surefly.

The Surefly gets its power from a wire connected to the battery side of the contactor.

Last edited:
SDS CPI-2 Ignition

Hello Mike,
After further review of information on different electronic ignitions, I decided to go with SDS CPI-2. In fact, I started the work today. Ross sent me what I required to get going while the dual board ECU is being built.

Question for you since I think you already installed this ignition. I am having a hard time finding the factory spec for the two nuts that hold the Dual Hall Sensor. Do you know what the spec is for these two nuts? I have a O-360 Wide Deck.

Thank you...

Alex

May I suggest you also consider SDS for your ignition needs.

Two surefly ignition systems.

I had the lasar system and have changed to surefly a couple of month ago.
Going to a full electric ignition system I chosed to install a B/C standby alternator that is connected to a new emergency bus. Normal bus and emergency bus can be separated if something bad happens.
One LiFePo battery powers normal bus and one battery powers the emergency
bus. Each surefly can be powered from either batteries with a switch.
If a single failure occurs the engine will still operate, I get an alarm.
Multiple failure needs corrective action.

I plan to remove my Laser ignitions and replace them with either SureFly or E-MAG. I am looking for advice/suggestions.

SureFly - I like that I can keep my current aviation wires and plugs. Seems like a great ignition system. The problem is that I would like to run with two SureFly MAGs and that would mean that I need to come up with a way to power one of the MAGs from a small backup battery. Not a major problem since I think this can be done easily. But if others already have this, I would live to see what they did.

E-MAG - I like that the MAGs have internal brushless alternators. But I will need to replace my wiring harness and plugs by going to automobile type.

I would like to hear experiences from other with either of these electronic MAGs and what they would suggest.

This will be for an RV-6A with an IO-360 and Hartzell Constant Speed 2 blade prop.

Thank you in advanced.

Alex

Spark plugs for my P-mag ignition (BR8ES) are about $2 apiece. A good set of plug wires is about $50x2. You'll need a set of plug adapters. BTW, anti-sieze is your friend.

If you use automotive plugs be sure to buy the version with the solid tips, not the screw-on threaded tips. The screw on type tend to get loose and can cause arcing issues. Even after deforming the caps with pliers to help lock the threads. NGK uses the same model number for both types so you have to check the actual part numbers to make sure you are buying the solid-tip version.

BR8EIX NGK 6747

I use solid top Iridium NGK plugs with my dual Pmags. I change 4 out each annual even though I don’t have to.

BR8EIX part number 6747.

Bevan

If you use automotive plugs be sure to buy the version with the solid tips, not the screw-on threaded tips. The screw on type tend to get loose and can cause arcing issues. Even after deforming the caps with pliers to help lock the threads. NGK uses the same model number for both types so you have to check the actual part numbers to make sure you are buying the solid-tip version.

I have had good success securing the tips with high heat, red loctite (good to 500*). Use spaingly so that the liquid does not squeeze out onto the flat surface to ensure good conductivity.
The version with solid ends were quite a bit more expensive.

Has anyone got Electroair on one side and Pmag on the other?

My Lancair neighbor is running this on his Continental IO-550. They play well together. He has ~100 hours with this setup.

He installed the Electro Air before the six cylinder pMag was available. When he got the pMag he replaced the remaining magneto.

I helped him install the Electro Air. It works, but I was not impressed with all the discrete parts (and associated wiring) needed to make it play.

Carl

SDS CPI-2 Installed

Just wanted to provide an update. I installed the SDS CPI-2 in my RV-6A (Lycoming O-360). Installation went well and all testing went very well. Engine is running great.

I also like to say a big THNAK YOU to Ross and Barry for their help during the selection and the installation process. Excellent customer support.

Thank you...

Just wanted to provide an update. I installed the SDS CPI-2 in my RV-6A (Lycoming O-360). Installation went well and all testing went very well. Engine is running great.

I also like to say a big THNAK YOU to Ross and Barry for their help during the selection and the installation process. Excellent customer support.

Thank you...

Hi Badia

I just got a RV4 with O-320 and aim for e-mags.
My first choice was Qmags or Surefly - but I see you went with SDS CPI-2.

What has been your experience over the last 2 years?

Back