What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Digiflight II - switch to Dynon?

JimRV6aflyer

I'm New Here
Soon I am changing out my AFS 3500 for a shiny new AFS 5600. I currently have a DIGIFLIGHT IIVS autopilot. I am wondering if I can change out the control unit to the Dynon AP control unit? Would anything else need changed out to do this? Would the AP then work better with the 5600? The 5600 has a really cool AP interface and I would like to be able to use it.

You would need to change the TruTrak servos to the dynon servos. The servos are controlled by the Advanced Flight EFIS, so you don't need the AP panel. The AP panel provides an alternate push button interface in addition to the soft button interface on the EFIS. The AP panel also provides trim control that could be utilized, but it is not required.

Soon I am changing out my AFS 3500 for a shiny new AFS 5600. I currently have a DIGIFLIGHT IIVS autopilot. I am wondering if I can change out the control unit to the Dynon AP control unit? Would anything else need changed out to do this? Would the AP then work better with the 5600? The 5600 has a really cool AP interface and I would like to be able to use it.

The Trutrak servos are not compatible with the 5600 unless you continue using the Digiflight head.

You would have to replace the servos with Dynon servos, which attach to the SV network. The 5600 is also attached to the SV network. The functionality of the traditional autopilot head is built into the 5600.

The SV-AP-Panel is not an autopilot. It’s a secondary set of physical switches which are the same as the touch screen switch on the 5600. Many folks prefer the physical switches. There are a couple other features the the AP panel adds. It’s optional and not required for autopilot functionality.

Upgrading to the Dynon servos will give you more features and functions than you have today, plus you would have hardware that is fully supported by the vendor. The Digiflight product line is deprecated.

There are other components you’ll have to upgrade like the Sv-adahrs, sv-airinc, etc. but I assume that you are already aware of these. My recommendation is to give AFS a call and walk through your desires with them so that they can ensure you order all the proper bits and pieces. They can also walk you through all the nuances of their autopilot controls and options.

Back