What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Showplans cowl vs stock?

I suspect that the major difference is aesthetic and the ability to use CAI with the showplanes cowl. Of course that comes at the cost of several time consuming modifications.

I went with the stock cowl. I’m not sure if there’s much of any weight difference.

The stock cowls don't weigh all that much. Maybe 5 pounds for the top. Less than 10 for the bottom. Showplanes could be lighter, but not by much. The Van's cowls are honeycomb, too, so there can't be that much of a weight savings.

I think showplanes gets better air cooling efficiency or are more aero or something like that.

Buy it for improved performance, if you want to. But if all you want to do is save a couple of pounds, seems like an expensive way to accomplish that.

That all makes sense. Need to order the finishing kit and just trying to decide if I remove the stock vans cowl from the order. I'm torn and agree that weight savings will not a be a decision point. It looks cool but I do see that there will be other modifications needed and no idea at this point if CAI is a path I want to go down. Decisions, decision, decisions and with predicted lead times on the kits it makes it much more difficult to decide.

Anyone wish they would have gone with showplanes over stock or anyone who went showplanes cowl but wish they would have went stock and why?

I believe there may be interference issues with a vertical induction system with the stock cowl (At least that was what I was lead to believe). If you are looking to go that route on your engine, you may want to verify what cowl you need to order.

Every upgrade / deviation from plans has possible ripple effects.

Showplanes

I went with the showplanes cowl and never looked back...

Personal preference, really, but here is why:

I like the looks better, can't stand the snorkel.

I have CAI. I do not know if it fits in the stock cowl.

I did a split lower cowl, which was fairly easy to do on the showplanes cowl.

Having flow with it now for 50 hours, I have not had any cooling issues, and removing the split cowl is incredibly easy.

Can't say how much more or less work is involved as I obviously did not use the stock cowl. I would guess a bit more, as there are some baffle mods that need to be done for the inlets and induction system.

I’m just finishing the tail kit on my second RV. The wing kit arrives the first of May, the fuselage kit arrives the first of June. I’m dragging my heels on ordering the finish kit because of making this cowl decision.

My choices for the cowl:
- Hands down favorite is the James Cowl. I used it on my first RV-10 and found it provided gains in cruise efficiency (as compared to what other RV-10 builders were reporting). The new owners of James Cowl have told me they will soon offer the RV-10 cowl, but I don’t have a time line. There is also discussion of offering one for the stock vertical indiction engine and one for the cold air sump horizontal induction. Here is a photo of my first RV-10 with the James Cowl.
419-D8003-B66-F-4-E60-A2-A9-47841087378-B.jpg

- Backup if the James Cowl does not happen is the Showplanes cowl. In addition to addressing some of the limitations of the stock cowl (like a too small of a spinner), the attraction of cold air sump engine is a driver. Note however that while a stock IO-540 cold air sump engine from Thunderbolt will make 275HP instead of 260 (8.5 - 1 pistions) current price is $58,100. If you opt for 9 - 1 pistions HP goes to 285. For me I’ll stay with 8.5 pistons to have the option of burning mogas if 100LL (or its replacement) costs become excessive. The mission of this plane is high efficiency cruise, not time to climb.

- If all else fails I’ll bite the bullet and get the stock cowl.

Carl

Good info... anyone know what part #'s to delete from the finishing kit if I choose to go the showplanes route?

I don't know the part numbers offhand, but Van's is good about working with rough descriptions for parts. And the top and bottom RV-10 front cowls are pretty easy for them to figure out.

We are building the mold now at James Aircraft for the RV10 now. The updraft is first and then we will do the forward facing induction. So RV 10 cowls soon.

Option

You should consider making the cowl such that the lower portion can be split longitudinally; I did this on my Showplanes cowl and it is the best mod EVER...

One person can easily remove or install the cowl without ANY interference from the prop or nose gear leg...

Just a thought...

Back