What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CIES fuel sender installation

SabreFlyr

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I have CIES fuel senders that I'm hoping to install in my quick-build wings, just one per tank. My issue is that the QB wings come with #8 nutplates installed for the factory sender. The CIES sender uses #10 hardware. A rubber gasket is included and, if I were to use #8 hardware with the gasket, I would expect leaks. However, if I were to use Proseal around the perimeter of the access hole and under the head of each of the (#8) screws, I would think the undersize screws would not be an issue.

Agree or disagree?

Also, for the factory sender, the float isn't supposed to contact either the top or the bottom skins. I presume that's not an issue with the CIES sender as long as it has no interference in its travel from skin to skin?

I have CIES fuel senders that I'm hoping to install in my quick-build wings, just one per tank. My issue is that the QB wings come with #8 nutplates installed for the factory sender. The CIES sender uses #10 hardware. A rubber gasket is included and, if I were to use #8 hardware with the gasket, I would expect leaks. However, if I were to use Proseal around the perimeter of the access hole and under the head of each of the (#8) screws, I would think the undersize screws would not be an issue.

Agree or disagree?

Also, for the factory sender, the float isn't supposed to contact either the top or the bottom skins. I presume that's not an issue with the CIES sender as long as it has no interference in its travel from skin to skin?

I ended up sealing the nut plates. Slow Build. You might be able to Do a similar seal by reaching in from the hole.

No 8 or 10 screws you still have fuel that could work its way around threads. Sealing the head might work. I did use the rubber gasket but put tank sealant on both sides. It makes it slick and want to squeeze out so snug fit first till sealant dries.

Float can and should contact the skins travel full throw for maximum accuracy. There is no way to keep them from contacting. You will have to adjust the twist on the float. You might need to get the RV-14 "smaller" floats to clear stiffeners, Vent line, and back wall. See the PDF.

Ended up using the gaskets from my Van's-standard (Stewart Warner?) fuel senders. They're sized for #8 screws. Put ProSeal on both sides of the gaskets. I do have the smaller RV-14 floats but did not put any twist in the arm to match the slope of the bottom skin. I hope I'm safely on the ground long before I have to be concerned about that last half-gallon (which will be measured as zero fuel).

Back