What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wire labeling

alcladrv

Well Known Member
I'm going to try out using some printed heat shrink tube to label my wires. Which end is typically labeled or both ends?

Do em all

Every end and every connector! You'll thank yourself later when something doesn't work right and you need to chase a wire. ;)

Also, for multi-core wire or if there's a lot coming out of a connector I printed each wire colour & function onto a single piece of heat shrink. And like others said, one at each end.

For places where there are several runs together, like in the fuselage side panels, I also added labels mid-way in access panels. If I ever need to pull a wire out, it will be nice to know which one to start pulling on halfway.

Where I followed the installation manual, which specified colors for specific wires, I'd label just the bundle at each end. I allowed for room between the label and the connector so that I could remove a single connector without disturbing the label.

If the bundle did not contain standard wiring, I'd label each wire at both ends, but far enough from the ends that the label didn't interfere with the crimper. The labels were spaced irregularly so that I didn't have a stack-up of labels all in one spot. In addition, I'd use a separate label for the bundle.

Dave

Wire Labeling

Work out a system for labeling your wires and put at each end ( To / From ) so you can see by the label where the other end is attached.

One of my biggest peeves in my professional life is when trying to diagnose problems often without wiring schedules that only label where it is attached. Then it is a wire pulling tracing problem.

All the best
Rob

Back