What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowling fasteners?

n38139

Well Known Member
Anybody used something beside the piano hinge on the cowling sides to keep the two pieces together? I was thinking of something like a zeus type fastener.

Cowling fasteners

Lots of discussion about this, use the search function. Dzus fasteners are probably not a good choice. Best choice seems to be with either Milspec or Skybolt

I never liked the look of Skybolts or other such fasteners and have always used hinge material - but this is builder preference so decide what you want.

I note however that the lower cowl hinge should be replaced with the more robust extruded hinge (MS20001) or aluminum plates with nutplates.

Carl

Skybolt’s are nice, but for the price and pain of installing them in a cowling with the engine already mounted and cowling painted, I would go back with a piano hinge in a heartbeat. The piano hinge is cleaner, lighter, cheaper.

Last edited:
I started with the hinges, but then after many times spending several hours trying to get the last few inches in I said, quite literally, "screw it". Replaced the last nine inches with countersunk screws and tinnerman washers going into nutplates. Also used them for the bottom of the cowl.

I have never had any issues with the hinge pin along the side holding top and bottom together. That is the pin the Original post, I believe, is asking about. Very straight pin lubed with a little LPS every time will slide right in. Same for pin that goes down side of lower cowl.
I have #10 stainless steal countersunk screws with tinnerman washers at 2 to 2.5” spacing across entire upper aft edge of upper cowl. Takes about 5 minutes to remover install with battery screw driver. Not as clean looking as the piano hinge but never issue with install/remove.

Like Phillip, my RV-8 cowl uses hinge pins along the horizontal seam between the top and bottom halves. The builder of my RV-8 used F4U plate fasteners along the aft top curve.

Zipper.

We use the hinge pins, per the plans. It is had to beat a Zipper for closure and strength. We have also seen a lot of Cam-Locks used. It is what you want and like the looks of. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

I have the std piano hinge arrangement on my 8, screws and nut plans under the lower cowl near the exhaust, they are out of sight. As much as I don't enjoy using the hinge style to remove/fit the cowl I love the clean look, I really dislike a whole row of screws around the cowl, personal choice I guess :)

I used the piano hinges on the sides and all of lower cowling. HATED THEM! I've switched to Sky Bolts and will never go back!

Discussed many, many times.... Done correctly, the hinge pins work great and are by far the easiest to de-cowl and cowl back up. I have both and prefer the pins but I wouldn't kick the quick turns out of bed for eating crackers.
However, done incorrectly, the pins can be a real pain in the you know what.

As far as looks, I like the per plans look, but to each his own. I am not about to change out the quick turns, nor am I about to switch my pins, same...

I also have a slider which is the only way an RV should be built and as far as primer is concerned..... ;)

I note however that the lower cowl hinge should be replaced with the more robust extruded hinge (MS20001) or aluminum plates with nutplates.

Carl

I used .032 aluminum with nutplates (3 per side) for the lower cowl on my RV-8. After 13 years (765 hours) the aluminum cracked near the inboard nutplate on both sides. I think this is a good solution as compared to the plans (hinge material) but suggest using a minimum of .040 aluminum if you are going to use this approach.

Chris

Back