What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Keeping baggage door opened

Moura

Well Known Member
Hi

Has anyone come up with a good idea to keep the baggage door open when loading the baggage compartment? Sometimes I feel I need smeone to hold the door open for me when loading.
I am aware of the strut solution but was hoping for a even simpler solution.
Thank you

Moura

Park it with the tail into the wind.;)

On the serious side I did see one at OSH a few years ago with a small gas strut, personally I just leaned the tow bar against it and put the tow bar it in last. Stopping it from flying open is an issue, it's pretty easy to spring the hinge if it flies open in a strong breeze.

I wanted something quick while finishing. I took a 14 gauge copper wire, wrapped it around the lock area on one end. On the other, i formed a hook to wrap around the front door frame. When not in use, i secured it to the inside baggage door with some tape.

Now that i am flying, i upgraded the tape to some velcro.

I would post pictures, but it would be too embarassing. :D

It's like they reversed which way the doors should open. The baggage should hinge from the top (like a Piper), and the cabin doors from the front (like everyone else! Then no one would worry about wind damage unless they parked tail into wind of course. Can you tell I don't like the door design?

I have Aerosport's baggage door liner. It works really well because there is a gas strut to keep the door open at the right angle. If you don't want to use it temporarily you can pull the pin in one second and open the door wider. It also holds oil bottles perfectly and strainer, chocks etc. It seriously takes about 20 minutes to install.

Very nice...

I have Aerosport's baggage door liner. It works really well because there is a gas strut to keep the door open at the right angle. If you don't want to use it temporarily you can pull the pin in one second and open the door wider. It also holds oil bottles perfectly and strainer, chocks etc. It seriously takes about 20 minutes to install.

As shown in their website:

http://www.aerosportproducts.com/rv10baggage.htm

Very nice ! I think I'm going to order one ! :)

Back