What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skirt edge finish

RVG8tor

Well Known Member
Before I final sand wonder how to finish the edge of the canopy skirt. Should it have a rounded edge, beveled to blend into the fuselage or leave it blocked?

A bevel would look nice but then might make the edge more prone to chipping. How have you finished the edges of your skirts?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Edges

Nemo,

I just knocked the edges down a little so they wouldn't chip as easy.

Hang in there! The canopy can really work your last nerve and shows little progress until the very end!

Canopy Skirts

Nemo,

I may have some pics to ease your pain. Look under the canopy label of my blog. I ended up overlapping the skirts and riveting the two together. I then glassed over the seam and cut the notch. Keep at it!

Nemo,

I just knocked the edges down a little so they wouldn't chip as easy.

Hang in there! The canopy can really work your last nerve and shows little progress until the very end!

Yup - this works real nice - leave enough thickness to make sure it won't chip - then put some thin felt on the inside to keep it from vibrating on the fuselage skin and scaring the heck out of you on the first flight!

Great bunch!

Thanks for the replies and encouragement, you guys are great. Just returned from a trip to China so after I get over the jet lag I will get back to work. I try not to touch the plane after a trip when jet lagged.

Cheers

Back