What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New soon to be builder

FLEXCopMNPD

Hi all,
wasn't sure where this would have been the most appropriate so I figured I would post this in the region I live in.
Like the topic says, I am a new soon to be builder. I have received the preview plans (had to put them in plastic sleeves to protect them from all the drool) :) for an RV8 and just purchased the RV "from start to finish" book set from kitplanes magazine bookstore. I think I am going to go with the Isham tool set and should have that by mid summer.

My goal is to build an RV8 that is geared for ifr cross country trips and also for formation aerobatics. The Team RV videos have me hooked and I want to join in all the fun.

I have tons of questions for you all and have no idea where to start...lol. I am leaning towards an IO360 but have seen people putting the 390s in 8s. I would love to buy a kit engine and build it myself, mainly for the education value as well as the pride in knowing I did it myself. I am also leaning heavily towards the new dynon glass system for all my avionics needs.

Anywho, just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I have been reading the forums for awhile and decided what the heck, I can do this. Time to stop dreaming and start doing. :)

I live in Nashville, TN and if there is anyone that needs a seat warmed in their RV let me know. :) Will beg for plane rides...lol

I am glad I found these forums.

Brian Murphy

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Brian, welcome to the best place on the web for things RV:D

Good to have you here.

RV 8, uhmmm;) love it.

Anywho, just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I have been reading the forums for awhile and decided what the heck, I can do this. Time to stop dreaming and start doing. :)

I am glad I found these forums.

Brian Murphy

Nice to have you here Brian!

Now time to stop dreaming get the tail kit and roll your sleeves. If I can do it anybody can...

Welcome!

i'm waiting on my wings to come in, and what I can offer you is- you have a good while to think about engine choices, concentrate on other things first

Good choice, Brian....

...on the -8....welcome to VAF. The wealth of information on here never ceases to amaze me:) Sometimes you have to sift some stuff out tho'.

If you're ever down near Augusta, Ga, get in touch. I'm near there at 2J3, Louisville, Ga.

Best,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I knew I was in the right place :)

I got to meet Randy Hooper from the forums today over at his hangar at BNA. Super nice guy. He even let me sit in his baby (After removing my Batman-esque Utility Belt...because I wouldn't have fit with it on...lol) He has a very nicely done 8.

All that I can say is WOW. I am soooo hooked on the 8 now. It felt like I was climbing into a little fighter plane. I can only imagine what it is like to fly in one...hint hint....lol

Pierre, That sounds like an excellent excuse for a cross country trip. I am working on my Instrument rating and need all the cross country time I can get :)

Spend your time reviewing all the past posts here and maybe even at the Matronix site (mostly old posts there, but you can still learn some history). Read the Tony Bingilis books, even though they are somewhat dated. (If you find them boring, don't bother building!) Most of us started out not knowing didly squat and somehow managed to get through it all, though some with more learning pains than others. My best advice is when you can't figure out how to do something despite all the advice here, go on and do it anyway. Some things you simply just have to dive in and do, i.e. Prosealing the tanks, bending the longerons, shaping the canopy frame, etc. If that advice doesn't make sense now well, it will.

Welcome aboard!

I'm so jealous

I'm close, but not as close as you!

I do have the Isham kit and they were wonderful to work with. I'm told it's the same for all of the other major venders. I think it comes down to choice and a coin flip. Also, I'm told that I'll end up buying tools from all of the other folks anyway... lots of 'em. :)

Best of luck, and let us know when the kit arrives!

Michael

Welcome....

to one of the greatest hobbies on earth. You will have a ball. The best piece of advice was advice that I got....don't sit around waiting for the right time to start. If you have the bucks and the time...just get started. It isn't going to build itself. Work on it an hour a day a pretty soon it will be done. I have been into my horizontal stab now for 3 months and I will be closing up it in the next two weeks. Can't wait to be done with it so I can move on to the next part.
Also, another piece of advice that I got...you are not building a swiss watch, you are building a tractor. Don't sweat the petty things...BUILD ON MAN!
Have fun and welcome.

THIS Christmas...

I'm a newbie, too. I feel your excitement (pain?). I've been collecting tools for a couple of years. My issue has not been which engine but which plane > RV-8, 9, 10 or a Velocity. Finally decided on the RV-8 after sitting in one. Fit like a glove. Loved that feeling!

Looking forward to following your progress as I start my own RV-8 this December. Good luck!!

Tip for building an RV...

Hi Brian, Welcome to da club...
If I were to offer any advice to a new builder, it would be to take the RV Tail Assembly Class at Alexander Tech, in Griffin,Ga. It would give you a Huge leap forward and allow you the opportunity to gain the skill, confidence, and knowledge you will need to continue the build. I took the class and it was worth every penny. That is unless you have prior a/c sheet metal experience... After the class, the VAF and other builder sites will help pave the way.;) *I have some pics from the class in my blog

Last edited:
Hi Brian, Welcome to da club...
If I were to offer any advice to a new builder, it would be to take the RV Tail Assembly Class at Alexander Tech, in Griffin,Ga. It would give you a Huge leap forward and allow you the opportunity to gain the skill, confidence, and knowledge you will need to continue the build. I took the class and it was worth every penny to me. That is unless you have prior a/c sheet metal experience... After the class, the VAF and other builder sites will help pave the way.;) *I have some pics from the class in my blog

You have a link to those pics? I looked at the blog but couldn't tell where they were.

Sure...

Brian,
Click on my blog link, then scroll down to the labels section(Bottom Right). Click on the Empennage link. All of the pics were taken at the week long class. Click on the pics to zoom in, Click on the top to return home. Good Luck!

Welocme to a great place ...

..and a fantastic group of people. Four years ago, I was where you're at. Today, with the help of some fabulous VAF and EAA buddies, we hung a new Aerosport IO-320 on my RV-9A. :D:D:D

The team will need some new blood.

My goal is to build an RV8 that is geared for ifr cross country trips and also for formation aerobatics. The Team RV videos have me hooked and I want to join in all the fun.

Brian Murphy

Brian,

Get busy! Team RV will be in need of some new blood in a few years. If you are building for formation aerobatics I have a few suggestions: Horsepower is not critical. Get 180 HP but get a constant speed prop to deliver the HP. You should have inverted oil and fuel injection but don't need inverted fuel pickups or an aerobatic prop. You will never find yourself inverted for more than 3 or 4 seconds unless you just like hanging from the straps. You should have two radios if you have your sights on being a flight leader. You will need at least a 5-gallon smoke tank, preferably with dual injectors and if you are serious about formation air show work you will need to get your commercial rating.

Sounds like a lot of work, and it is, but the rewards are immense. Check out the Team RV schedule on the link under my signature line and come visit us. I'm sure we can find you a ride.

Everytime I log in and find more warm welcomes I can't but help to grin from ear to ear.

Ron, thanks for all the advice. I am definitely aiming for flying with you all. I am working on my IFR rating and plan on getting them all up to cfii. Would there be any reason not to go 200hp aside from cost? I will definitely come see Team RV in action. You all are just south of me. I work days for the Nashville PD and have thursdays and Fridays off.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome and I look forward to share my build experience with you all. I will scan and post the paint scheme I want to go with. I photocopied the vans 3 view drawing and drew it out with colored pencils. My wife chuckled while I was doing it cause I was like a kid in a candy store.

Everytime I log in and find more warm welcomes I can't but help to grin from ear to ear.

Ron, thanks for all the advice. I am definitely aiming for flying with you all. I am working on my IFR rating and plan on getting them all up to cfii. Would there be any reason not to go 200hp aside from cost? I will definitely come see Team RV in action. You all are just south of me. I work days for the Nashville PD and have thursdays and Fridays off.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome and I look forward to share my build experience with you all. I will scan and post the paint scheme I want to go with. I photocopied the vans 3 view drawing and drew it out with colored pencils. My wife chuckled while I was doing it cause I was like a kid in a candy store.

The angle valve 200 HP Lyc gets that extra 20 HP at the expense of extra weight in the nose. I would be more inclined to go with the IO-390 or IO-375 that use the lighter components. If you can be at Anderson SC (KAND) next Saturday (June 12) the Team will be practicing at 10:00 AM. I'll get you a ride with the team.

Arrgghh :( I just checked with my events coordinator ( translation....my wife :rolleyes: ) and she reminded me that I have drill this weekend, so I will have to take you up on the ride offer another time.

On a side note, I ordered "Formation Flying, The Art" and it is awesome. I have been trying to figure out how to rip the dvds to put on my iphone so I can take it everywhere with me.

Ron, thanks for all the advice. I am definitely aiming for flying with you all. I am working on my IFR rating and plan on getting them all up to cfii. Would there be any reason not to go 200hp aside from cost?

The extra weight of the 200 HP engine is the problem. On such a small airplane 30 pounds is a big deal! Aeorbatics are so much nicer with a light airplane. Our slot man on Team RV mistakenly topped off fuel tanks before the air show perfomance at Key West NAS. We was out on the ramp all evening siphoning fuel out so he could stay in the slot for the next performance. Even our team leader, who has a Super 8 with an IO-540 in it has trouble staying in the slot on diamond loops. It's all about weight, not power. I would spend the money on a good CS prop.

Back