What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How many rivets

bret

Well Known Member
did you hand squeez before you bought a Pneumatic squeezer? just did the 116 on the HS rear spar by hand last night, good work out but........

I can squeeze 3s all day long. I did the -6A with a hand squeezer and did most of the 4s with a gun. That said, I'm really enjoying the pneumatic squeezer for the -10, though I've run into a few rivets that none of the jaws I have would reach, so I ended up shooting them anyway.

What's your time worth? Sure they are expensive, but IMHO they produce more consistent results at a much faster pace.

BTW... I started with a hand squeezer.

I used a pneumatic squeezer....

but....

Not all hand squeezers are made the same. Some are much easier to operate than others.

I intended to hand squeeze, but...

I ended up buying a used pneumatic squeezer from another forum member when I was at the same stage you are at now. Sure, the hand squeezer gets the job done, but a pneumatic squeezer will quickly become your favorite tool.

Besides using it on rivets, the pneumatic squeezer also makes dimpling ribs and stiffeners a very quick/simple process.

Everything I could reach...

I hand squeezed everything I could reach with a Cleveland Tool Main Squeeze, but that was a small percentage of the 15,000+ the rivets I've set. Since the majority of rivets have to be driven anyway, I didn't see the attraction of a pneumatic squeezer.

I did find that the DRDT dimpler is a really quick and easy tool for dimpling ribs, bulkheads, and stiffeners. Maybe that's why I didn't feel the need for a pneumatic squeezer.

- zero -

I've never used a hand squeezer - bought a used pneumatic from someone at work who'd abandoned his project, and never needed anything else.

Like Paul, I never had a hand squeezer. I was going to get the Main squeeze, but Avery gave me such a good deal on the pneumatic, it was a wash. Never needed the hand squeezer.

Roberta

I don't know...

how many rivets as I've completed my -9 and am now working on replacing the engine and I'm still using my Avery's squeezer.

I do know of one builder who never bought a squeezer, he shot every rivet.

PS. By the time I was done with my build, my handshake could crush a man's hand.

I just squeezed the rivets between my toes while twirling a beer cooler in one hand and cold one in the other...oh...errr....yeah...definitly pneumatic everywhere I could and the gun for the rest...

:D

Back