What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax and Loctite 221

jte65

Well Known Member
Loctite 221 is used quite extensively on threaded fittings for the Rotax (including reinstallation of parts removed when preparing the engine for installation). For those builders that have finished their engine install- where did you get Loctite 221? It does not appear to be as widely available as other Loctite formulations. I have seen some references to substituting 222 but in looking at the specs, they are not exactly the same.

Thanks

Jeff

Loctite 221

Loctite 221 is the violet colored type used in watch repair, etc. where a low-strength solution is needed.

Do a Google search for it and you'll find some vendors that sell it for watch repair.

Mike

Try MSC

I use a variety of LokTite products and have found MSC to be a great source for even the hard to find versions.

They are at mscdirect dot com.

Loctite and Permatex were at one time owned by the same parent company. I have read in other forums where it has been stated that the Permatex purple and Loctite 221 are the same product.

Loctite and Permatex were at one time owned by the same parent company. I have read in other forums where it has been stated that the Permatex purple and Loctite 221 are the same product.

I also thought I read in one the Loctite's publications that 221 and 222(MS) were essentially the same. One available in the USA and the other abroad. Both are purple low-strength threadlockers. 222MS appears to be the Mil-Spec version.

See http://65.213.72.112/tds5/search.asp?language=en

And type in 221 and then 222 and then 222MS. Appear to be VERY close to one another.

And if you look at http://www.rotaxservice.com/rotax_tips/rotax_torques.htm Loctite 221 and Loctite 222 are interchangeable.

Last edited:
thanks all for the replies

Thanks for the replies. Yes- I had noted that 221 was typically used for small screws in watches! I found that interesting as well. Aircraft Spruce has 222 so I will go with that.

Jeff

Back