What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Notice of an awesome upcoming Fly In!

N702PL

Friend
Of all the great Fly In?s I?ve attended over the years this one takes the cake for being one the best and I was hoping you?d share this information with all my RV buddies on your website. For those of you that are also in to RC, this is the site for the huge Joe Nall RC Fly-In held every year in May.

Please help me get the word out. I believe Doug may already have it his calendar, but more information can be found here:

http://www.tripletreeflyin.com/

The dates for the 2009 Triple Tree Aerodrome Fly-In are Wednesday, 9/23/09 - Sunday, 9/27/09

AVGAS only available during Fly-In.

What Makes Triple Tree Different?
As you drive through the Triple Tree Aerodrome entrance, a winding paved drive takes you to a vista where you suddenly look out over 440+acres of rolling hills. A 50-acre lake, stocked for fishing, lies near the center of the property. A 10,000 sq ft hanger connects to a large patio used for cookouts and a grand BBQ supper on Saturday night. Visitors can sit near the large outdoor fireplace and watch the sun set over the lake.
Triple Tree Aerodrome is located between the towns of Woodruff and Enoree SC on Mary Hanna Road, Woodruff, SC 29388. The FAA Identifier is SC00 (that is zero, zero).
Latitude: 34 degrees 40.499 minutes north (34-40.99N). Longitude: 081 degrees 59.734 minutes west (081-59.734W).
On the green manicured lawn, you will find two gazebos, one at the upper end and one at the lower end of the property for swinging, resting, and enjoying the breeze.
The irrigated runway is comprised of lush Bermuda grass and is 400ft wide and 7000ft long. It has a unique taxiway through the woods, allowing aircraft to exit without disturbing the parking area.
Part of the taxiway is across an earthen dam and around a 5-acre duck pond. The Enoree River adjoins the southern side of the property. The river is suitable for kayaking, sunning, and other water activities. Approximately 6 miles of hiking trials are on the property.
A restored World War II Air Force control tower is used as advisory for arriving and departing aircraft during the week of the fly-in. Fuel and help with minor repairs will be available.
Campers with motor homes or tents are welcome to come and enjoy this beautiful country. Private bathhouses are located near the two camping areas at the upper and lowers ends of the property. Triple Tree is close enough to both Greenville and Spartanburg for those who wish to enjoy a variety of motels, restaurants, shopping, or other activities.
You and your fellow airplane enthusiasts can enjoy the camaraderie, music, photography, an old-fashion BBQ, and hospitality in the best southern tradition.
We have worked for 11 years to make this place a special place for what we feel is a world-class event. This fly-in is an offspring of the Joe Nall Fly-In (large scale radio control event) which has become the biggest model airplane event on earth, and which is always held in May, the weekend after Mother?s Day. The skills which have been honed from 26 years of the Joe Nall, have come to fruition in this Triple Tree Aerodrome Fly-In for full scale airplanes. Join us at Triple Tree for this fabulous event!

Triple Tree Aerodrome Fly-In Features
? Lush grass runway, 400ft wide, 7000ft long.
? 440-acre property, 50-acre lake stoked for fishing, and 5-acre duck pond.
? Two gazebos, private bathhouses, unlimited camping.
? Six miles of hiking trials and Enoree River adjoining the property.
? Restored World War II Air Force Control Tower.
? Fuel
? Minor Maintenance Help
? Close to Greenville and Spartanburg, SC
? 10,000 sqft Hanger, large patio with outdoor fireplace.
? Saturday night Southern BBQ, Music, and Camaraderie.
? Most important, Fun, Fellowship, Hospitality.

Can I land a Jet at Triple Tree? Yes, An L-39 landed and took off with no problems at all !!

The Gazebo and Restrooms / Showers are Completed!

Make sure you get your tickets for Triple Tree's World Famous BBQ and Bluegrass Supper on Saturday Evening!

This fly-in has been on my calendar for several months. It looks like a neat grass roots fly-in and I plan on camping there one night.

One more from N. Atlanta

We plan on being there. Looks like we'll be arriving Friday afternoon-ish and camping through Sunday.

Only two weeks away!

Last night I attended our bi-weekly Triple Tree Aerodrome planning committee meeting/dinner and we all received an update on some of the Warbirds that will be in attendance Saturday for our "An Evening with Heros" and I wanted to update you.

We now have a firm commitment for a P-51, C-47, UH-1, and an L-39 for our event and hope to see you there too! It's going to be awesome.

We will be there!

I'm bringing the entire family. We are driving up Sat morning and staying in Gville for the night. I hope to see all of you there!:)

Jim & Dale,

I'm going to drive up on Saturday and spend the day. Turner will be with me so I'll be pushing him in a stroller.

Triple Tree Aerodrome Rumors

The Triple Tree Aerodrome fly-in is scheduled for next weekend (September 23rd through September 27th).

I have heard through the grapevine that Triple Tree just received a fresh load of 100LL which they will share for a donation of $3.25 per gallon. Additional donations are welcome and will go to a worthy cause.

Please pass the word.

Rental cars??

My wife agreed to go on Saturday but won't camp in a tent. Are there any rental cars in the area and how far to the closest motel? Would they possibly pick us up?

Thanks,

Pat Hartness is one of the most hospitable gazillionaires you will ever meet. It is a bonus that he loves all aspects of aviation the way he does.

I have known him for years and years and attended the Joe Nall RC flyin many times over at his original field next to his house.

Closest hotels are about 25 miles away at the Greenville Spartanburg airport, Marriott, Courtyard, Fairfield Inn. Several have better rates than the Hampton listed on the Triple Tree fly in site. I doubt they will pick up that far away.

Pat Hartness is one of the most hospitable gazillionaires you will ever meet. It is a bonus that he loves all aspects of aviation the way he does.

Hartness International, whose plant is across the street, manufactures beverage packaging equipment. I worked for a Coca Cola bottler in a former life - and we bought a bunch of million dollar gizmos from them so we could put cans and bottles into cardboard boxes at high rates of speed.

Nice that someone like that that has it all is willing to open up his property to "Joe Pilot" for the weekend. Looking forward to it.

Last edited:
I am seriously thinking about going up Friday during the day and staying either Friday or Friday and Saturday night. I have seen pictures of the Joe Nall fly-in for the last ten years. It is a great place.

There will be Shuttle buses...

...I spoke with one of the organizers (Pat) and he said the Hampton has a shuttle bus that will come to Triple Tree but that Flight crews have priority use.

Also reserved a room at the Hampton and they confirmed this. See ya there on Sat.

Regards,

Triple Tree

Made a reservation at the Hampton. Arriving on Friday AM and departing Sunday AM. See you all!

Regards,

Triple Tree Got Wx'd Again!

dsc00853tn.jpg

Bad weather once again invaded the Triple Tree Fly-in weekend. I arrived mid-morning on Friday. By 1600L, the rain began with isolated TRW?s in the vicinity. The weather didn?t let up until late Saturday evening. Over 2-3 inches of rain fell during that time period.

No one got in on Saturday. I estimated that about 70 airplanes were on the ground Friday, of which about 50 remained over the weekend. The Triple Tree folks were expecting 300-400 aircraft to show for the event. Sunday morning, low ceilings for those heading north and east lingered until around 1000L.

Weather permitting, the Triple Tree Fly-in is a first class event. The organizers would very much like to make this a major east coast fly-in. The grounds are immaculate, the volunteer staff were highly organized and extremely accommodating. It was a darn shame that the weather didn?t cooperate.

Thru Friday afternoon, there were about 20 RV?s in attendance. Eight remained for the weekend; five -8?s, one -8A, and two -6?s.

Hope to see you there next year!

Regards,

Triple Tree Photos

Pavilion:
dsc00854g.jpg

dsc00856sz.jpg

dsc00859ok.jpg

7000' L x 400' W Runway:
dsc00858mq.jpg

WWII Control Twr manned by ATC volunteers for the event:
dsc00865so.jpg

dsc00868gs.jpg

Main Hangar:
dsc00871j.jpg

Friday, Saturday Evening BBQ Patio:
dsc00881jv.jpg

Regards,

I met Pat......

in the late eighties when I lived in Atlanta, through a fellow modeler named, Curtis Mees. Pat gave us a personal tour of his place back then, looks like he has added a little more. Pat is one of the nicest, humble people I have ever met. Just good people. I was amazed at his bar b que on Saturday night. Absolutely unbelieveable. Good to hear the events go on. Sorry to hear about the weather, but next year will be here soon.

I dropped in on Friday afternoon. I had to poke around a big system that was just to the Southwest. Again, XM weather is AWESOME. That weather wasn't there when I left and as I approached from the Southwest I saw it building up.

Once I got around the weather all was good.

I landed, checked everything out, etc. The place was pretty much deserted, which I attributed to the WX. I was hoping to grab some dinner there but there was none to be had. All of the tents were abandoned. After probably an hour on the ground I launched for home.

I had originally planned to camp but after seeing the TAFs for Saturday I knew that I would be there until Sunday and I couldn't spare that many days away from the family.

photo%202.jpg

Oh yeah, the grass strip is very nice (the nicest I've landed on), but watch out for the man holes running down the center of the runway!

WX bummer

Had to cancel my planned Saturday trip to Triple Tree. Heavy rain all day Sat in NW GA and looks like the same in SC.

On the cal. for next year. Looks like a good one.

...Oh yeah, the grass strip is very nice (the nicest I've landed on), but watch out for the man holes running down the center of the runway!
Those would be centerline lights. Yep, he has them on his grass strip.

Hey Pat,

Have you considered a GPS instrument approach to Triple Tree? Seriously! We have attended the fly-in every year and were set to go as soon as a hole opened up on Saturday. It never did. We sure hope this doesn't discourage you from future events. A great venue and great people. We'll be back.

I had to cancel due to weather also. I had a whole weekend of flying planned and it all went out the window!

Back